Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Power distribution

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 12:35 PM
Buka

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power distribution

Default Power distribution
hi guys

i am going to invest in a 100cc comp arf yak very soon. have already got 8 JR 8611, i am running a 14 mz and will prolly run the 14 channel RX. i definitly want to install a power distribution system. i have read a few posts about debates about emcotec and powerbox and smartfly. there are certain things which i want the system to have ... but wasnt able to find some of this info in the post.

redundant power supply - 2 bats + 2 regs which ones have it which ones dont?

servo programing. there are 2 servos on each wing ... so how do i match them ... i know the powerbox champion allows this but this is a really hi end system. what about the rest ... for example the evo or the emcotecs. will i just need to create a perfect mechanical setup for the thing to function properly ?

if lets say i have a servo jam on one of the ailerons, which system will isolate that servo so that the other will be able to function properly with out fighting the jammed one?

gonna run lipos so do want a built in reg.

taking into account the above. which system would u recomend?

thank you
Old 03-21-2008, 03:15 PM
altavillan
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Power distribution

The smart fly EQ10 has built in servo adjusting, matching. However your 14Mz radio has the ability to run 4+ seperate aileron servos and does all the same things so the Smart Fly Mz14 expander would be a better choice for you.
http://www.chiefaircraft.com/rcmsec/...Smart-Fly.html <--------Start here
Old 03-21-2008, 03:20 PM
DelGatoGrande
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

hello friend!![8D]

the only really redundant power solution are the systems from PowerBox.

i recoment nothing else.

Emcotec has only two batteries but not two regulators inside, only one regulator inside for servos and the receiver! only one IC for all signal amplifiers and the electronic switches from Emcotec shut off, if they have a battery fault or battery glitches. Only the PowerBox solutions are really double systems, two batteries, two selfhold electronic switches, for each channel a separate double signal amplifier, double voltcontroller, SensorSwitch and so on…

And the smartfly solution is a bad copy of the ideas from PowerBox and a very electronic and programming low cost solution for expensive models.

The best pilots in the world fly only PowerBox.also the manual of all Composite models commend only the PowerBox solution becouse its just the best!

take a look at the newest catalogue 2008 from PowerBox Systems in the homepage www.powerbox-systems.com ready for download!

.... the comp arf Rep in Russia is also a PowerBox dealer

...you will love the carf yak! dont take any risks for this baby!only powerbox! take care!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18450.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	909626  
Old 03-21-2008, 08:41 PM
Buka

if i am running for a example a power box evo which from what i have read doesnt have the onboard matching system. in this case i will not be able to match the servos through my transmitter electronically right ? what are my options in this case ... if i still want to run the powerbox ?

thankx guys
Old 03-21-2008, 10:37 PM
altavillan

Why not use a123 batteries and skip the regs. two 2400mah a123 batteries will give you about 100+ amps. If a servo goes bad no matter what the system, it's still bad. Your 100cc plane will draw about 280 mah per 14 minute flight. Thats about 12 to 15 flights between recharges. IMO there is no reason to go much fancier than a SF expander on a 100cc plane, you get 5v servo signal, two taps per channel providing 5 amps per servo.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:03 AM
tkilwein

I have the smartfly exp-pro14 and it has dual RX regs for the RX, but only one power lead into the RX. BAD.
I added two more power leads into the RX as they only have one lead, this is a problem as I see it but fixed easy.
It is cheaper than some of the other solutions and it works with a little mod.

Name:	Jh15714.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	910342  
Old 03-22-2008, 10:16 AM
altavillan

Tk, Each of your leads is cappable of about 5 amps. Why do you feel the reciever will draw 15 amps to opperate?

There is a mod I feel is very important with SF expanders.... The snap locks that hold the stack together will eventualy get looser and allow the upper plates to rub on the LED's and break them off. While yours is appart make the holes for the LED's larger.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:21 AM
tkilwein

With only one power lead into the RX if it breaks you are done.
I trust electronics more than a wire/connector that is subject to vibration etc.
I have had more than a few leads intermitant/break in my years. This is my precaution here.
How far do we want to go is another topic.

I design HW and the electronic failures are few and far between.
I don't do at present but the expander pro14 is only 12 channels so IF I use the other two channels with high
current servos directly into the RX, the one wire would not be the best.

Smart fly screwed this one IMO as they should have done all 14 channels verses only 12.
The cost would have been cheap to do. buffer IC @30cents, 4 connectors @ 4cents per pin,
4 ferrite beads @ 12cents, 8resistors ~0.1cents each.
These are small quanity proto run costs, not volume costs.
I would have paid the extra for this. Hell the 14MZ TX and 2.4 module setup is $2600 a few $ more is mice nuts!
The smartfly met my basic needs with a little mod and I am happy with it.

I could have done my own but in a few piece quanity it is not worth my time.
The PCB cost for a few cards would be ~$250 in 1-5 quanity proto run, MUCH less in larger volumes.
Larger volumes would be a few $ each.
I can do the design, layout the PCB card and build myself. I have ONCORE down the street and they can do the entire
build for reasonable $ in large quanity runs. I just furnish the design/PCB fab files to them and they do the rest.

Just my 2 cents here.
Old 03-23-2008, 02:21 AM
jooNorway

ORIGINAL: Buka

if i am running for a example a power box evo which from what i have read doesnt have the onboard matching system. in this case i will not be able to match the servos through my transmitter electronically right ? what are my options in this case ... if i still want to run the powerbox ?

thankx guys
If you had bought some good Hitec servoes you could have done the "matching" with their programming box... One clue is to set the deadband for one servo on each rudder at the lowest, and the other servo with a higher deadband to reduce current if slightly mismatched.
But of course the most important thing to do is a perfect mechanical installation, ensuring all angles and lenghts of rudderhorns are perfect.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:13 AM
DelGatoGrande
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: altavillan

The smart fly EQ10 has built in servo adjusting, matching. However your 14Mz radio has the ability to run 4+ seperate aileron servos and does all the same things so the Smart Fly Mz14 expander would be a better choice for you.
http://www.chiefaircraft.com/rcmsec/...Smart-Fly.html <--------Start here

this is a very good pictures from smartfly, really cheap, all guys see: it is inside not much electronic and a really cheap electronic. And the picture attest that they have copied the regulator from PowerBox, the same IC, and they have only 12 Amp transistors. By the PowerBox electronic get the receiver from each channel lead his power, not because of the power, because of the redundancy. And the same for the signal amplifiers, by smartfly only 3 IC´s for 14 channels, really cheap. The electronic plate by PowerBox is always a gold plate, the same as in space electronics, you see by the smartfly photo it is a very cheap normal plate solution. And by PowerBox you must not solder any leads additional. I will ask about a photo from the PowerBox electronic.

I think if you have in your plane 10 or 15 good servos, they costs 1000 $ or many more, and the plane costs also 1000 $ or many more, is it possible to get for so expensive planes a power solution for only some cents?? How long have you test it? Do you also open the receivers or servos for your updating? This will be not function. And if you have a crash it is always a question of security, you fly mostly not alone on the field, and ask your friends, I think they are not happy when the plane is crashed about of a cheap electronic on their heads.

Spend your plane a PowerBox solution from the inventor of power supply systems and all will be function, not a copy from smartfly, if not you can see the result on the photo.

Name:	Wu61737.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	911248  
Old 03-23-2008, 05:20 PM
felker14
My Feedback: (50)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Powerbox, Smart-FLy, Emcotec all make good products. I have you used Smart-FLy and Emcotec products with good results. In future I will try a Power-Box prdouct. You might also look at a Weatronics system. http://www.weatronic.com/cms/index.php?lang=en
If I was you I'd use the 1 that has the best customer support in your area. I don't think you could wrong with any of the 3. Just remember all 3 manufactures and there customers think there way is the best and they will go out there way to put the other ones down.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:10 PM
altavillan

Actually with his 14mz radio and 6014 reciever he wouldn't need n expander at all for a 100cc size plane if he was using only futaba servos. All you need the expander for is boosting the signal voltage so the non Futaba servos will work. A couple a123's and some wyes for multiple power hookups and done.
Course if lugging around a couple extra pounds of electro gear smears that hey look what I got grin across yer face the way you like it, then by all means go for it.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:16 PM
Buka

well i am gonna be running 8611 servos.... so dunno how that will work out since u say " if he runns all futaba servos" and what is the difference if u may clarify?? just interested not trying to be cocky.
i read a few post that say that u can have 20 amps throug the receiver and it will be alright... but i dunno aim just a lil sceptical about running the power through the reciver. i mean i will be slaming those stick hard so i am afraid that there just might be a voltage loss at some point. as well as with no amplification may suffer voltage loss in the long leads as well...
i dont like carrying extra gear but if i have to for safty i always do... just gives me a peice of mind.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:26 PM
Flyfast1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another way to go is to bypass the regulators all together. They just make the system more prone to failure and are rarely identical, meaning your batteries will be be used equally.

-Ed B.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:13 AM
altavillan

To get more power to the servos when not using an expander I solder in two leads per battery giving 4 connection points. Then build 4 wyes for connecting at the rx.
The 6014 rx puts out a signal of 3.7v. According to Bax at Futaba to run my HighTech servos I needed a signal boost to 4+ volts. If you ask in the Futaba support forum Bax can tell you if your JR servos need a boosted signal. The mz14 SmartFly expander boosts the signal to the recievers to 5v.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:21 AM
Buka

well i am sure that a singnal boos will be needed on these 1m + leads going to the tail. besides these create RF noise as well dont they? isnt the powerbox also supposed to crean this RF noise?
Old 03-24-2008, 09:35 AM
Buka

btw guys i will be running the 5014... am not running fasst.