Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Wiped out by my 9ZAP WC

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2003, 10:44 PM
paulrcpilot-RCU
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiped out by my 9ZAP WC

I traded my old 9zap for the new WC (Synth)version. I set up my new U CAN DO 3D with all Hitec digital servos and used my old receiver. This receiver had worked perfectly with the old transmitter. I got in two perfect flights with the new set up then I recharged the batteries and flew again as I set up for landing the airplane started acting strangely like I was taking radio hits, but not quite maybe more like a delayed response. I managed to go around and make another attempt as I approched the landing same thing happened and this time I got zapped and rolled into the ground.

After walking out and inspecting the damage (minor) I left the radio on and it appeared to work perfectly. But as we were checking the battery (5.13 Volts) the servos started to react slowly to control inputs the after 2 or three minutes the servos stopped moving all together. However there was still power as they could not be moved.

Now after getting home I turned on the radio and aircraft and everything functions perfectly. What the @@@**## happened I'm afraid to fly again until I have some Ideas. I will change out the receiver and switch but I'm not sure if that is where the problem is. Any ideas at all would be appreciated. Thanks in advance Paul
Old 04-28-2003, 12:03 AM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

I seem to remember reading where the synth module only worked with a the a synth reciever. Don't quote me, but do a search on synth and see what comes up.

Mike
Old 04-28-2003, 02:38 AM
Phil Cole

The 9Z synthesiser does things to the PPM signal that some aftermarket receiver don't always deal with.

There is a bit of an explanation on the www.fmadirect.com website. FMA only have receiver that will work with the synthesiser. Some manufacturers (e.g. Berg) don't have anything that is happy with the Futaba synthesiser. I do know that Hitec were incompatible with 9Zs in the past, and have made design changes. Whether the changes included the synthesiser, I don't know. You'll have to ask Hitec.

All the current Futaba PPM receivers are happy with the 9Z-S.
Any of the Futaba PCM receivers will also be happy.
Old 04-29-2003, 09:02 PM
paulrcpilot-RCU
My Feedback: (32)

Default Rercievers

All of my recievers are Futaba PCM's any other ideas
Old 04-29-2003, 09:19 PM
azhar
My Feedback: (19)

Actually, I have been using hitec recivers with my ZAPS and have no problems.

Paul,

You might want to send your receiver in for a tune-up pssibly. You may also have a faulty crystal somewhere.

Azhar
Old 04-30-2003, 01:03 PM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

Paul,
Sounds to me like interference or your PCM thinking its intereference, resulting in short pcm locks then a long lock.

I would do two things together:
1) send RX for full check up, incase there's any broken filters or anything;
2) send the TX module in incase it is out of tune.
Old 04-30-2003, 08:33 PM
locoworks

it may be a duff battery, that flattens real quick. even if the receiver went into failsafe, at whatever voltage it stops working at, there would still be some voltage to hold the servo's? maybe?. the synth module does not work certain receivers. shulze being one of them and also my picoboard on my picollo.
Old 05-09-2003, 01:40 AM
Dustflyer
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default weird stuff

Paul,

Please don't be offended, but I have made ALL the mistakes so I can talk!

The 9Z WC2 is a magnificent piece of equipment that has in my case worked perfectly with the sythesized RX in my HotSpot jet, non-synthesized Futaba PCM RX in my 35% Wild Hare Giles (using a Hitec crystal) and aftermarket RX's as well.

I have lots of airplanes with a mix of PCM and PPM receivers, both Futaba and non-Futaba on different channels. (By the way, FMA Quantums are excellent, glitch-free receivers I use in Diamond Dusts!) The 9Z works perfectly with all of them!

It is VERY easy with the 9Z when switching from one airplane to another, especially when going from PCM to PPM and switching channels at the same time to screw up the pulse mode.

If things aren't working right I can almost guarantee you have the wrong pulse mode or channel set, or you are in non-radiating mode.

There is nothing weird about the 9Z. It, along with the companion synthesized receiver is probably the most reliable (but probably not the easiest to program) radio link available. My range checks with my HotSpot are so good I get tired of walking!

The 9Z is simply not very goof proof. It is a fantastic radio but not tolerant of typical errors. I think if Futaba could redesign the interface and programming of this radio, while at the same time adding a few channels to accomodate scale and jet enthusiasts it would have an absolutely world beating piece of equipment.

When it comes to the 9Z most often than not it is the operator or installation, not the equipment that causes problems.