Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

DTV and 72MHz Radios

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 04:09 PM
PipeMajor
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DTV and 72MHz Radios

One of the heralded advantages of the FCC mandated switchover to from analog to digital television (DTV) next February is it "will free up parts of the valuable broadcast spectrum for public safety communications (such as police, fire departments, and rescue squads). Also, some of the spectrum will be auctioned to companies that will be able to provide consumers with more advanced wireless services (such as wireless broadband)." - http://www.dtv.gov/consumercorner.html#faq2

Isn't our 72MHz RC band smack in the middle of the current analog TV band - something like between channels 4 and 5?

Already I've noted at the field as more modelers are switching over to DSS 2.4GHz systems my 72MHz frequencies are pretty much wide open these days. Thus, I'm really in no big hurry to reinvest in new RC hardware although for my son's first radio he got a 2.4GHz DX7 system.

I suspect it will be "safer" to continue to fly our legacy 72MHz systems - for awhile. Once this available bandwidth gets auctioned off I wonder how "imposed" our old stuff will become.

Just thinkin' out loud... [sm=72_72.gif]