Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

JR/Spektrum remote receiver placement question

Old 04-02-2008, 12:45 PM
NeedleValve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR/Spektrum remote receiver placement question

Hey Folks,

I recently bought a JR X9303 and am mounting the receiver in a 40 sized aircraft with a pretty narrow fuselage. The problem is that because of the layout of servos and such, I'll have a difficult time placing the remote receiver at least two inches from the main receiver. The best I can do is about an inch.

My question is whether or not anyone has mounted the remote closer than the recommended two inches, and if there have been any problems associated with that. Do the two receivers somehow interfere with each other when mounted close and is the performance degraded?

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:40 AM
djm16

Default RE: JR/Spektrum remote receiver placement question

Get yourself a satellite extension lead and put the satellite reeiver in the tail, even if you have to cut a hole in the covering to do so. Two aerials only an inch apart could easily be screened from your Tx by an engine / battery when you hit exactly that orientation.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:57 AM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the X9303 and several AR7000s and R921s installed. The two inches from antenna you mentioned I only recall in reference to the XPS brand systems which only have one antenna. Go to this RCU thread, http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_70..._1/key_/tm.htm to see an installation I did. Also, be sure to read post #10. Mike McConville is from Horizon Hobby and one of their best pilots. He is correct. Unless you have your antennas(all four) wrapped around other wires, etc. I wouldn't worry. Install it, range check it, and fly if it passes the range check.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:09 PM
NeedleValve

Thanks for your help, guys. I'm going to leave everything the way I installed it and do several range checks with the plane at different orientations. If it checks out okay, I'm gonna fly!

I guess if I would have thought this through a little better I would have realized earlier that the antennas for the two internal receivers in the main unit are less than two inches apart and don't interfere with each other, so there shouldn't be a problem with the remote being that close.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:04 AM
airbusdrvr

As Gilda Radner used to say on Laugh In, "Oh, never mind," when she had expounded on the wrong subject. I misread your first post about the two inches. I read antenna two inches from other things(wires, etc.) not your two receivers two inches apart. If possible, I'd take djm16's advice. If not possible, then go the direction you are planning with the range checks. In all my planes I easily get more than the 30 paces specified as the range check distance. So when doing your range check, make sure you get 90 feet or more from all your test angles. You then should be good.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:20 PM
NeedleValve

In case anyone's interested, I took my plane out to the field today with the remote receiver mounted as I described above. I prformed several range checks with the aircraft at different orientations and everything seemed fine. Since everything checked out okay, I flew! The radio performed flawlessly and didn't have a single problem.

It's my opinion that Spektrum and JR recommend the two inch spacing to get the best benefit from the remote receiver, but mounting it closer has no ill effects.

I just thought I'd share that in case anyone has a similar question in the future. By the way, I love the JR X9303. It's a pleasure to fly with.

Happy flying!
Old 04-05-2008, 08:54 PM
airbusdrvr

That is what Mike McConville said in my thread referrenced above. The system is almost bullet proof and if the range checks are good, fly it. Glad it went well.