Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Elevon/V-Tail Mixing and ATV

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2003, 04:11 PM
MockV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Elevon/V-Tail Mixing and ATV

"ATV on ch. 1 and 2, Ch. 1 and 2 "elevon" mixing option, Ch. 2 and 4 "v-tail" mixing option..."

This is what is stated on my new Hitec Laser 4 that I picked up last night. I'm going to use this radio in my first trainer which is almost finished.

I'm having some trouble understanding what these options are used in when flying a plane. I've read somewhere that the elevon mixing is used in the flying wings but not too much detail. I was wondering if someone could enlighten me in what these three options are used for and give a few examples. So when someone asks me I know exactly what to say.

Thanks,
MV
Old 04-30-2003, 04:56 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Elevon/V-Tail Mixing and ATV

Yes elevons are used on flying wing aircraft with only two control surfaces. When activated the radio will mix the elvator and aileron so that when elevator is applied both surfaces work together to perform as elevators and when aileron is applied the same two surfaces work in opposite directions to perform as ailerons.

V tail will mix the function of the rudder and elevator. The two surfaces on a V tail are called ruddavators and when elevator is applied both surfaces will go up or down together to function as elevators. When rudder is applied one surface will go down and the other will go up which applies a right or left yaw and the same two surfaces are now acting as a rudder.

ATV in channel 1 and 2 is a method for reducing the total movement of the servo on each end. This is used to reduce and or adjust the throw of your elevator and aileron surfaces. This is used for small adjustments and if large changes are needed instead adjust the linkage on your control horn. In the case of Hitec always set your linkages with the ATV's at 100% never 125% then small adjustments can be made from there. Hitec channel assignments are: Ch #1 aileron, Ch #2 elevator, Ch #3 throttle, Ch #4 rudder. Some brands use different assignments. Always when programing a new model in the transmitter on a new model number perform the step to return that model number back to 'factory default' first. This will remove any prior setting or accidental settings.

By the way, your 'V" tail and Elevon features are only used on that type aircraft some examples of which are Zagi flying wings or in the case of 'V' tails, they are the norm for Q-500 pylon racing aircraft.

John
Old 04-30-2003, 05:00 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Terms Explained

ATV stands for, as I recall, automatic travel volume, which was Futaba's name for end point adjustment or how you can adjust the distance your servos travel.

Elevon is an elevator-aileron mix used on daltas and flying wings. It uses the same 2 control surfaces for both aileron and elevators. Some wings and daltas do use saparate ailerons and elevators.

V-tail is a combination of elevator and rudder. The plane has only 2 tail sections arranged in a V configuration. The Beechcraft Bonanza is the most recogniazble full scale V-tail plane. You might also have seen the Predator drone used in the latest war. It features an inverted V-tail. In RC many sailplanes and some racers use V-tails, as well as some of the Coroplast combat planes.

ATV is used virtually every time you set up a new plane to get the controls adjusted to the correct amount in the instructions. Elevon and V-tail are special mixes that radio manufacturers have included to make it easier for modelers to fly that type plane.