Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Radio Range

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2002, 06:37 AM
wildblueyawner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Radio Range

I plan to mountain-slope a really big glider out to distances that I fear would challenge the range of the typical radio. I realize that there's probably not much that can be done (legally) to extend the advertised range of a given system, so:

1) Are there any brands that are considered to be particularly reliable at long distances, due to their greater Rx sensitivity, higher S/N, Tx power, or whatever, etc....?

2) I saw a post where it was claimed that, because many radios are, or at least originally, made for dry cell operation, that using alkaline batt's providing 8x1.5 = 12V would provide greater range than the nominal 9.6V we get from nicads - - comments? Don't Tx's use some sort of voltage regulating circuit to provide something less, e.g. 5V, to the circuits such that it wouldn't matter if batt voltage was higher?

3) Any tips beyond the obvious (snipping Rx antenna, etc) on things to do to avoid reducing range?

Thanks all
Old 03-10-2002, 11:31 AM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well

Most radios will outdistance your ability to see the model. What brand are you having trouble with? Increasing voltage is not the answer to increasing range.
Old 03-10-2002, 03:08 PM
Gary Retterbush

Default Radio Range

Using a properly installed and maintained system there is no need to increase range as it is already further than you can see (unless you are an Eagle). Just use common sense when you set up everything (and when you are flying).

I fly stuff like you are talking about and have zero problems except I wish I had better eyes!

BTW, the FCC probably would frown on increasing the voltage.

Gary
Old 03-10-2002, 04:22 PM
Balsa Duster

Default Radio Range

my jr radios have longer ground tests 30 + yard than my futaba Transmitter + recever in the same plane. Antenna in th same place.

just my personal tests.

P.s. exept for my Futaba FG wich range is the same a JR

P.S. all my radios are fm not PCM.
Old 03-10-2002, 11:24 PM
bob_nj

Default Methods

I know tons more about Futaba than JR, but their methods of testing are somewhat different. Read the manual for your particular transmitter and compare the antenna placement. For instance, my Futaba 9Z manual wants the range test done with the antenna collapsed, and my JR 10SX wants it done with the antenna removed. How are you doing yours?
Old 03-11-2002, 12:56 AM
MTT
My Feedback: (8)

Default Range

I agree with bob_nj and Gary, the radios we are using nowadays, regardless of the brand, all have more range than our eyes, even if its a 5m sailplane !

Michael
Old 03-11-2002, 03:24 AM
Vince
My Feedback: (1)

Default Radio Range

Yep, a lot further than you can see to fly it. Back in the early seventies I built a Heathkit 5 channel. It was in a Hal Debolt Jenny with a ST 40 ring engine. There were many times I would get the plane up real high, sit back in a lawn chair and set the throttle to high idle and just fly around with rudder. One summer on of the guys brought out a set of 10x50 binoculars and we actually got the plane so high it was not visible with the unaided eye. This was way before I was as concerned with altitude restrictions, as I am now. The Jenny was a fine trainer and a plane I dearly miss.

Vince
Old 03-11-2002, 03:36 AM
MTT
My Feedback: (8)

Default range check

@bob_nj : I would recommend not to do the range check with the antenna removed, even if the manufacturer says so, since this could damage the HF part of the radio.
As far as I know, the generally accepted method is with the antenna collapsed, and you should still have good response from the servos at 80+ paces away.

Michael
Old 03-11-2002, 12:20 PM
bob_nj

Default I agree Michael

But it does state just that in the JR manual. They tell you not to prolong the test, but it definitely says to do the test with the antenna removed
Old 03-11-2002, 08:54 PM
Balsa Duster

Default Radio Range

My tests are with the antenna down for all radios