Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

futuba 9cap

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2003, 07:50 PM
Lorduss

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default futuba 9cap

i just picked up this radio today, and i was reading through the manual. and it says that its not a good idea more or less, to just change the cyrstall in the moduall without having it tuned by a radio tech.

is this realy a warning i should take seriously ?

meaning i should change all my receiver channels to 13 instead of 42 (current)

and along with that, having them tuned from highband to low band?

tobad my lhs only had one of these.
i lucked out and bought a second plane on my current channel, for another plane.
but this time im not so lucky in that part.
Old 04-30-2003, 08:14 PM
Ross Kean

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default futuba 9cap

Don't change the crystal in the module!! They are not designed for this.
You can, however, buy a separate tx module for each frequency you wish to use. Not cheap, but it is convenient. Maybe you can swap the channel 13 module with a 42 (will your LHS help you there?) No need to retune the radio with a module swap; all of the critical RF is associated with the module, not the remainder of the radio. One of these days, Futaba will figure out that they should produce a synthesized module for their radios along the lines of Hitec's Spectra - make it shift selectable while they are at it. I know lots of people that bought the less capable Eclipse over the 9C for the availability of Spectra (plus shift selectability).

By the way, some people use the Hitec Spectra module in Futaba radios with good reported success; not a good idea because both Hitec and Futaba tell us that it is illegal and will void warranty as well as any AMA insurance in the event of an accident!

Ross
Old 04-30-2003, 09:57 PM
Lorduss

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default futuba 9cap

ok, but you missed the other part of my question, i have RX s on channel 42,
so my options are, get a new moduel, or put all my RX s on 13, but if there currently on 42, do my RX need any tuning ?
Old 04-30-2003, 10:36 PM
strato911

Default futuba 9cap

If they are Futaba receivers, yes. Everyone else, no.

Futaba is the only RC manufacturer that currently splits the 72Mhz band into high / low band.

FYI they only do this with their 72Mhz FM receivers, not 75Mhz, 50Mhz, etc...

Like Ross said, don't ever change the crystal. If you just bought it at your LHS, they will probably gladly swap the module for another frequency. If you bought it online (new), the "store" will probably exchange the module for you. If you do have to send it in for re-tuning on another channel, you only have to send the module.
Old 05-01-2003, 12:12 AM
davey_flyer
My Feedback: (4)

Default futuba 9cap

I don't understand why if you're just swapping a Crystal in the Rx to match the Tx it shouldn't need re-tuned? ie: if your Tx is on 50 (high) and your Futaba Rx is on 13, if you buy a 50 Rx Crystal it shouldn't need tuning - correct or not?
Old 05-01-2003, 12:35 AM
strato911

Default futuba 9cap

The Futaba Rx originally on 13 is in tuned for the lower half of the 72Mhz RC band (low band). Switching it to a channel in the upper half (high band) will result in loss of range. This is Futaba's recommended method of determining if your receiver is high band or low-band (if the label is missing).
quoted from Futaba's FAQ
How can I tell if my receiver is high band or low band?
The receiver should have a sticker on it indicating High or Low. If it does not, the best way is to have a service facility check what frequency it is tuned. A "quick check" in the field would be to test it with a transmitter tuned to a channel in the teens and a transmitter tuned in the 50s. There will be a dramatic difference in range shown, with the better range being the side to which the receiver is tuned.
Old 05-01-2003, 02:42 PM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

Default futuba 9cap

How much does a module cost?
Old 05-01-2003, 03:29 PM
strato911

Default futuba 9cap

About $55-$60 USD
Tower Hobbies $54.99
Chief Aircraft Inc. $57.95

Obviously there are others, I just used these two to provide a rough price range.
Old 06-15-2003, 03:12 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Default futuba 9cap

Futaba is a little different than most manufactures. They tune their receivers at two separate frequencies. The frequencies are 23 (about) and 48 (about). This gives the low and high band.