Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Li-Ion Transmitter Batteries

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 11:34 AM
Don_Sinclair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Li-Ion Transmitter Batteries

Hi Danny,
A number of battery suppliers are offering Li-Ion batteries for transmitters. I am considering use this type of battery in my JR9303 transmitter. The batteries operate at approximately 10.8 to 11.5 volts. Assuming I keep the battery charge rate to a reasonable level (300mah), is it safe to use a battery of this voltage in a transmitter that was designed to operate at 9.6 to 10 volts? Thanks for your help.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:10 PM
onewasp

Default RE: Li-Ion Transmitter Batteries

See:
Support forum CLOSED 0 Nathan 731 3/26/2008 7:37:44 PM
Nathan [Go to latest post!]

While the site is presently closed Danny did answer similar questions a number of times in the past.

Do a search and you'll come up with his answers which, as I remember it, were "Not recommended".
Old 04-21-2008, 09:30 PM
luckyy
My Feedback: (2)

Ive been using it with no problems???
Old 04-21-2008, 11:05 PM
chrisF test pilot

If your reasoning for wanting to use li-ion is the low self discharge look at the Eneloop cells or similar of the newer technology nimh cells. The Eneloops are advertised to retain more than 85% of their charge after one year. Pretty impressive.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:24 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: chrisF test pilot

If your reasoning for wanting to use li-ion is the low self discharge look at the Eneloop cells or similar of the newer technology nimh cells. The Eneloops are advertised to retain more than 85% of their charge after one year. Pretty impressive.
LiPo still is a magic word for some
If it is LiPo -or LiIon -it must be better . (it ain't)
I have had people tell me their 2100 LiPo lasts longer than a 2100 NiMh
The problem is -it is true -
but not because it has Mo Powa. (amps is amps)
It simply does not self discharge as fast - better shelf life n flatter discharge
LiPo is not a good choice as a TX retrofit - as a reg needed that is another problem point. more component changes -more potential problems

Best bet - just add the new camera Nimh cells - terrific shelf life -(low self discharge)
and no reg change nor new charger req'd
SAME power as the 2100 LiPo and cheap!!
Want latest technology with best bang for the buck and best safety for yer model?
use the new camera cell in the tx and A123 for rx pack (the A123 does require new charge tho)
The future is now
Old 04-22-2008, 08:13 PM
chrisF test pilot

use the new camera cell in the tx and A123 for rx pack (the A123 does require new charge tho)
x2. And you can actually get a Dapter and use a nicd charger for the A123 for $40.