Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

*Hitec 5645MG Problems*

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 06:29 AM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default *Hitec 5645MG Problems*

I have the Hitec 5645MG digitals in my new WH Extra 260 and I noticed something odd during my test run of the engine. While working the servos I noticed that some times when you let the stick go back to nutral on the Ailerons one servo would pause for a few seconds before returning to nutral. This was a pause not lag time. I thought maybe my batteries were a little low so after a full charge I still had the problem. It doesn't do it all the time and this plane is grounded until I figure out what is going on. Not sure if it's the servos or the radio (JR 7202 / R790 PCM receiver). I am in the process of swapping out the radio and receiver for the new Airtronics RDS8000. Anyone else having any problems with the HS-5645MG Digitals ?
Old 04-25-2008, 12:06 PM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: *Hitec 5645MG Problems*

Are your extensions good quality, and 22awg?
If they are, clean the contacts the best you can, of just try a different extension.

Let me know how you make out.

Bob
Old 04-25-2008, 12:23 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

Thats the first thing I'd look at, connectors and extensions, followed by the servo.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:05 PM
Zippi

ORIGINAL: bob_nj

Are your extensions good quality, and 22awg?
If they are, clean the contacts the best you can, of just try a different extension.

Let me know how you make out.

Bob
Everything is new and all the extensions are HD 20-gauge wire. Once I get my new radio in I'll try it first to see if I still have the problem and if so I'll try a different extension.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:10 PM
Zippi

Believe it or not, I've had this happen once again with a different HS-5645MG servo on a different plane and now on the Airtronics RDS8000 2.4 radio setup. The trouble is, I've bought so many servos that I can't remember what serovs I got from what online store. Last time I took no chances and swapped out the servo and extension. Looks like I'll have to pay for this one since I can't remember where or when I got them.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:13 PM
bob_nj

Just send the servo in with the latest invoice!
Old 06-21-2008, 04:58 PM
Zippi

ORIGINAL: bob_nj

Just send the servo in with the latest invoice!
I have contacted TH to see what their policy is on returns.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:45 PM
bob_nj

You'll need to send them directly to Hi-Tec is my guess...
Old 06-21-2008, 11:14 PM
RCAddiction
My Feedback: (87)

You didn't mention if you were using a voltage regulator or not.

As unlikely as this seems, I had a similar problem with 5955's on my elevator, which occasionally would hit full deflection in my shop, and then stay there with a 1-2 second delay before returning to neutral. The problem was not actually caused by the servos but by the "regulator" I was using for the RX battery. I had a Castle BEC installed as a regulator for dropping the voltage from Fromeco LiIon's down to 6.0V for the receiver. I had a 2nd Castle BEC for the ignition set to 5.0V. Turns out that the Castle BEC was the problem. It wasn't defective or anything, but since it was only dropping 1.4 volts or so (from 7.4 down to 6.0), this type of "regulator" is not as stable as a standard Fromeco or other regulator. It needs to drop more voltage to run stable. I only discovered this by methodically disconnecting, replacing servos, switches, batteries, and then the Castle BEC. I replaced it with a traditional Fromeco regulator set at 6.0V and problem was solved.

Oh, by re-adjusting the same Castle BEC down to 5V it works fine with the servos. However, I wanted the higher voltage/speed on the servos. I've since used this same BEC for ignition on another plane, no problem.
Old 06-22-2008, 03:46 AM
Jimmy Bananas
My Feedback: (13)

I had the same problem, only to find out that my transmitter was 'Swamping' the rec'r...try it with the antenna all the way down and move away 8-10' and see what happens..am using a 9303 JR radio.....
Old 06-22-2008, 07:13 AM
Zippi

RCAddiction,

I am not using a voltage regulator.

Jimmy Bananas,

I'm using an Airtronics RDS8000 which is 2.4 Ghz, there is no antenna to pull out. Not sure what you mean by 'Swamping' the rec'r. I had this happen on an FM setup and now on 2.4. On the FM setup I swapped out the servo and extension, problem solved. I plan on doing the same on this one.

Thanks for the input guys.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:09 AM
RCAddiction
My Feedback: (87)

It sounds a bit like the radio is going into failsafe lockout and is holding servo position at last position for a second or 2. Since it's happened with JR PCM and with Airtronics 2.4, it has to be something you didn't change.

Best thing to do is to plug another servo into the receiver port to see if it does the same thing. It well could be the servo has a vibration issue. This can happen with any servo, not just Hitec, and not just the servo you have.

Also, try bypassing your charge/switch and connect the battery directly into the RX.

Swamping the RX - the RDS8000 has a pushbutton, I believe, which is used for range testing. It works a bit differently than some 2.4 radios, so be sure to check manual. I'd be surprised that this is it, but it's worth a shot.

Old 06-23-2008, 04:28 PM
Zippi

RCAddiction,

Thanks for the info. The engine is not running when I'm getting the problem and it's on one servo only. The same servo (left Aileron) with two different radio system, JR PCM and Airtronics 2.4. I checked the range test button but it only stays on for 3 minutes but I've turned the system off and started over. I'm still checking but will probably be sending the servo back to Hitec since they have a 2 years waranty.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:42 PM
mtwister

The 5645's are notorious for centering issues. I use them still, and have pretty good luck with them as I feel they're a great value servo. It sounds as if your servo has a pot issue. You should send it in. Also, you could try cycling the servo end point to end point for quite awhile and see if it gets better.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:15 PM
Zippi

ORIGINAL: mtwister

The 5645's are notorious for centering issues. I use them still, and have pretty good luck with them as I feel they're a great value servo. It sounds as if your servo has a pot issue. You should send it in. Also, you could try cycling the servo end point to end point for quite awhile and see if it gets better.
They are good servos except for the centering issue but I really don't notice it. I swapped out the 5645 for a 645 just to see if it was the servo and everything seem to work fine and then the right Aileron started doing the same thing. I checked the receiver pack and it was really low. I'm beginning to think now that it may not be the servo but the battey pack. I've got everything on charge and I'll try it tomorrow and see what happens.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:24 AM
Mr. Mugen

What battery are you using? How old is it? Have you tried load testing it?
Old 06-25-2008, 05:54 AM
Zippi

ORIGINAL: Mr. Mugen

What battery are you using? How old is it? Have you tried load testing it?
It was an older 4.8 1800 mAH Ni-MH pack that came out of another plane. I have installed a new 1800 mAH pack and after it charges up I'll run another test.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:33 PM
vanguard
My Feedback: (25)

Zippi, Call Hitec service. Tell them the servos have a problem and you want to look at them. Send them a copy of the latest invoice. I have had 3 Hitec servos with different issues. They have been very good about repairing or replacing them with no charge. Turn around time is also very quick. But get the name of the tech you talk to and send them to his attention.
Mike