Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

When do you know its time to buy a new radio?

Old 04-28-2008, 12:32 AM
richb1492
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When do you know its time to buy a new radio?

I was really trying to decide if I needed a new radio and was wondering how most people decide it times to move up or on to a new system?
In the for sale ads I see most say they are selling the radio beacuse they are moving to the new radio systems.
or they are selling the radio they own to get a new feature they need.

I am returning to flying after a few years away and reallly wonder if I can use a new radio I have as many reason to buy a new one as stick with what I have.
I have the 8uaf. Its a bear to program and has a broken switch. Theere seem to be a lot of 9c's out there which I hear are a lot easier to program.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:52 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: When do you know its time to buy a new radio?

Before 2.4ghz came along, it was when I ran out of model memory or needed a something my current transmitters couldnt provide. I'm slowly switching over to spektrum DX7. I've never been shot down but I know a bunch of people who have. However, I have shot myself down twice (wrong memory selected).
Edwin
Old 04-28-2008, 09:33 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: richb1492
....I have the 8uaf. Its a bear to program and has a broken switch....
If you have the same number of resons to keep your existing radio as to getting a new one, then you should add weight to those reasons to see if the "scales" tip to one side or the other.

You only list two reasons to sell your existing radio. You don't list the reasons to keep it. In my book, those two reasons are pretty heavy. If I can't navigate thru the programming menus easily, then the radio gets replaced. I probably wouldn't even buy it in the first place. A radio that has a broken switch either from use (old age) or due to a fall is a radio that I need to send in t have it checked. I might as well get me a back-up radio.

If I was in the market for a new radio, I would look closely at the 2.4 systems. The freedom from the frequency board, and the inability of somebody else to be using my frequency simply outweight any other reasons.

Rafael
Old 04-28-2008, 11:40 AM
Eplane65
My Feedback: (16)

You know it's time to buy a new radio when:

1. You keep reading the same ads in the model magazines about the new equipment.
2. When you want a 14 channel radio when all you need is a 4 channel set.
3. You think you can fly like Quique if you get a new radio.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:56 AM
wings

How bout when your wife lets you buy one!
Old 04-28-2008, 12:11 PM
Tango Juliet

I recently bought a Futaba 9C, not necessarily to replace my 6EXA, but to suppliment it and offer more expandability options. I didn't go to the 2.4 GHz though, I just wasn't ready to make that leap of faith into newer technology.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:00 PM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

I replaced my 8UAF with a 9C and it is much easier to program. It has a lot of nice features the 8 does not have. You can find them pretty cheap since the 2.4's have taken off. One drawback, they seem to use a lot of battery power, so plan on replacing the anemic 900Mah battery pack with something more substantial. I use a 2500Mah NIMH pack in mine.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:29 PM
pilotpete2

True, the 9C draws about 280mA with the standard module, but with the TM-8 module it pulls about 60mA less0 (according to my Fluke meter). My 9C is sitting on the bench right now to cylce the 1100mAh nicads I use, at 4:45 elapsed time, the meter is still at 9.7V, it seems the 2.4Ghz module does not run the battery down as FASST[8D]. With the standard module 3 3/4 hours was about it.
Pete
Old 04-28-2008, 04:18 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

My Futaba 7CAF has a 10 Model memory capacity. I knew that it was time to buy a radio when I was trying to figure out what to do with my 11th plane.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:18 PM
rfenster
My Feedback: (49)

I knew it was time to buy a new radio when I pulled the antenna out on my Futaba T6XAS and I pulled it straight out of the transmitter. Here I am with a running airplane on the taxiway, tx in one hand and the antenna in the other. Kind of ruined my flying for the day. After all the research was done, I purchased a Multiplex Evo on 72 mhz. I plan on using that one until I am either forced to 2.4 ghz or the MPX dies. We are a small club so 72mhz is really not a problem for us.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:18 PM
Campgems

ORIGINAL: mscic-RCU

I replaced my 8UAF with a 9C and it is much easier to program. It has a lot of nice features the 8 does not have. You can find them pretty cheap since the 2.4's have taken off. One drawback, they seem to use a lot of battery power, so plan on replacing the anemic 900Mah battery pack with something more substantial. I use a 2500Mah NIMH pack in mine.
I picked up two of the 2500mah packs on Ebay and couldn't be happier. I charge my 9c every couple weeks and fly two to thee times a week. I've yet to see it drop below 10.2V. The shelf life of charge is incredable.

back on topic, IF you have a computer radio now, the you buy a new one when the green from envoy of the guy's at the field new toys outweights the urge to kee the green in your wallet

All kidding aside, I'm waiting for the manual for the 10C to come avaiable so I can do some hard comparison to my 9c and 9cSuper. I'm just ready to dip my toe in the 1/4 and 1/3 scale planes and the 9c is reported to have a delay issue on dual elevator setups.

Don
Old 04-28-2008, 06:47 PM
altavillan
My Feedback: (1)

I started shopping for 2.4 the day another fellow turned his radio onto my frequency and "my" foamy crashed into the canopy of "my" EF Yak[:@]
Old 04-29-2008, 02:18 AM
tkilwein

ORIGINAL: Eplane65

You know it's time to buy a new radio when:

1. You keep reading the same ads in the model magazines about the new equipment.
2. When you want a 14 channel radio when all you need is a 4 channel set.
3. You think you can fly like Quique if you get a new radio.

For me it was a combination of #1, I just saved enought money for it and 9zhps I bought new in 94, was going for another set of gimbals/battery,misc @ ~$400. The 14mz has way more features than I will ever use. Very easy to program and seup, (touch screen is sweet). I will not want for some time. I do not regret buying the 14mz on 72 and 2.4 modules.
#3 First flight cured this thought.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:32 PM
goliathman
My Feedback: (3)

When your wallet starts to feel heavy.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:43 PM
spqr

When you plug your 12V charger into your 9V TX, and leave it for an hour or two and leave it to cook. [:@]
Old 01-30-2009, 12:59 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You never have to have a reason to do anything in this hobby.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:58 PM
Hughes500E
My Feedback: (16)

When everyone starts complaining about the brand new receivers over heating that were sold with the brand new system you just bought []
Old 01-30-2009, 03:46 PM
carrellh

I use the 6XAS that I got in 2001 with my first trainer. I got the 6XAS because it was the least expensive radio that I could buy and set to stick mode 3 without going through a service center. It has more features than I need. I fly basic sport planes and my most complicated setups are:
> flaperon mixing to be able to run the ailerons on two channels
> exponential
I do not forsee myself ever "needing" a new transmitter from a features standpoint. Eventually it might stop working and at that point I will need a replacement.

For your situation:
Is the broken switch one that you want to use now?
Are there any features the 9C (since you mentioned it), has over the 8U, that you want to use now?
If the answers are "no" the only reason to replace the 8U is because you are not crazy about the programming.
But, if you WANT a new transmitter (and have the money), you do not need a reason.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:48 PM
JOHNS3D
My Feedback: (5)

i use now 2.4 in my heli and new bird edge 540, thanks god i did a taxi to see how the rudder will act on the ground when i see the airplane acting weird(too much glitch), after that i was thinkin...ok, crash a 1000 usd bird, and 400 heli? better to spend 280 in a 7c radio and another rx.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:55 PM
Flying Geezer
My Feedback: (14)

It's time to trade cars when you own a '57 De Sota. It's time to trade Radios when you own an 8U. You are way behind the curve.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:59 AM
Stripes
My Feedback: (19)

ORIGINAL: Flying Geezer

It's time to trade cars when you own a '57 De Sota.
! '57 DESOTO !

Damn, your as old as I am!
Old 01-31-2009, 10:36 AM
Flying Geezer
My Feedback: (14)

Heck, I remember Hudson, Kaiser, Fraiser, and when Studebakers were popular.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:52 AM
DougV

When? When I lost my favorite Extra due to a mid-air collison. I blamed it on the old radio system, the wife agreed (shhhh) with me that it was time to upgrade all my gear.

Doug.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:10 AM
cwharper

When the latest model just came out and they reduced the "older" model which is still better than what you got.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:26 PM
victorzamora

Hahahah.....Doug, that's hilarious!!! I did something similar. I had wanted to get a 10c (this is right before they came out), but my dad said my 7C worked just fine (don't you hate logic?). So, I was at the field with my dad, flying one of my favorite planes (a H9 P-47) after having gotten the retracts to work. I cycled my gear and rattled the sticks and he said, "Holy crap that was glitchy! You're right, you might need to get that 10C." He has a 6EXAP, and I wanted him to have my perfectly functional 7C instead of his perfectly functional (but slightly newer) 6EX for the programming capabilities....but I had no idea how to tell him there wasn't a thing wrong with it . Right after I sold my 7c I realized that I should have ordered my 10C and then "discovered" that the antenna in the 7 was loose. Oh well, now he has his 6EX...wanting an upgrade, and I could've done something about it. Oh well.

To the original question: I had a Futaba 4-channel for my trainer, but bought an Ultra Stick 40 with flaps...so I needed a 6-channel. Well, I bought an old and CHEAP ($30) T6XA. Well, it worked until I put too much throw on my Stick and wanted expo. Then I got the 7, kept it for over a year and a half and then the 10C just made me drool. I told myself I'd have it for YEARS without buying another Tx until the 12FG went on that huge sale at TH. I almost bought it, I was drooling so badly! Anywhoo....my point is that I'd go ahead and trade up. I'm a huge Futaba fan, and that 12FG is just WAY too good of a deal to pass up. The new Futaba's are way easier to program than the old ones, and do SO much more. Well, let me take that back. You're able to do more because you don't have to think as hard to get it done. I know that buying a cheap 9C is tempting, but a new radio with the new technology is going to last so much longer. IMHO, I'd get into 2.4GHz soon....with a GOOD radio (10C or better) and just plan on keeping it until the screen falls off!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.