Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

JR Radio, non JR (Futaba) Connectors

Old 04-29-2008, 11:26 PM
PipeMajor
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default JR Radio, non JR (Futaba) Connectors

OK, I've been flying all Futaba equipment since I got back into the RC hobby 4 years ago. I just recently bought the JR X9303 2.4GHz system with no servos or RX battery pack. Of course, the Futaba connectors have that alignment tab and the JR/Spektrum do not.

I've read previously here to simply trim the tab off and it will fit the JR/Spektrum stuff. Well, I have a Voltwatch II with the tab so trimmed it off but it really won't fit. I'm really not anxious to force fit and bust a brand new 9ch receiver.

Going the other way, a few years ago I bought a replacement NiCD RX pack with a universal (non-tabbed) connector. It would fit the Futaba but seems pretty loose.

Is the overall dimension of the Futaba connector block (without the tab) larger than others? For example, I have a charge jack mounted through the fuselage of my trainer. When I try to plug a Futaba type jack on my ESV cable to read my pack voltage, it's a very difficult fit.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:36 AM
k_caller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: JR Radio, non JR (Futaba) Connectors

I've been doing this for years with some of my older Futaba servo connectors. If you look carefully at the JR connector you will see that 2 edges are slightly beveled. In addition to removing the tab on the Futaba connector, try imitating the bevel. The fit will be a bit tighter than the 'all purpose' type but it will work and hold well. Just remember to not pull on the wires itself when removing the connector from the receiver!
OR... another way is- if you don't feel comfortable doing this, simply cut the Futaba connector off and solder a newer, gold pin JR connector onto the servo lead. As long as you do a good soldering job and use shrink tubing to isolate, it will work 100%. (personally, I like the replacement method better).
Good Luck!
Old 04-30-2008, 08:33 AM
pilotpete2

As K_caller said, you may have to make the little bevel on the Futaba plugs (newer Futaba plugs have the bevel) These bevels are only needed when plugging a Futaba servo plug into a female connector, as on an extension or charge jack. Servo plugs without the bevel will fit any receiver perfectly just by trimming the tab off[)] bevel not required[8D]
Pete
Old 04-30-2008, 08:54 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been a Futaba user since I first started in RC, in 1978. I have an 8AUPS and a 9C. A few years ago, I got a deal on an aircraft that came with a JR8103. I have since purchased a JR9303 and added the 2.4 module.

A JR male will fit in a Futaba female. I have modified the Futaba male, as described above. It takes some time to get the modified Futaba male to fit in the JR female, but it works. You need to be careful with polarity as the modified Futaba connector will fit in the JR female either way. You can also cut off the Futaba male and solder on the JR male. I also have purchased MPI universal extentions. They come with a JR male and a Futaba/JR female. Using these adapters, you do not need to modify anything. It obviously adds extra cost to the setup.

JR batteries and JR servos will fit in Futaba receivers and switch harnesses. Futaba batteries and servos will not fit in JR receivers and switch harnesses without an adapter or conversion.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:32 AM
PipeMajor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks all. Yes, I did note the 2 corners beveled on the JR connectors. I suppose this is why some of my "modified" Futaba connectors are a bit of a chore to fit.

Not a huge problem - just a minor annoyance.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:03 PM
pilotpete2

BuschBarber,
Thanks for the tip on the MPI extensions, I was unaware that they made them this way[8D]. I like their products and use their HD switch harnesses on all my glow powered models.
Cheers,
Pete
Old 04-30-2008, 08:36 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks - As long as I have a mix of Futaba and JR equipment, I tend to buy mostly Servos and Cables that have JR connectors as they can be used in both systems. Hitec servos now come with a Generic connector that will work with both JR and Futaba. It depends upon the situation whether or not I trim the tab or use an adapter.

I have several Spektrum 6100 receivers that accept both JR and Futaba leads.

I have found that when I use Third Party extensions with Spektrum Receivers, it is very difficult to plug in the extention to the receiver as the ports have tight tolerances. JR brand extensions seem to fit in easier.