Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

JR 9303 Switch Assignability?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 12:20 AM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default JR 9303 Switch Assignability?????

Please, somebody help me!
As a Futaba user who enjoys switch assignability and flight modes, I bought a JR 9303 2.4 system at the local hobby shop because it boasts of now having both.

I feel duped.

Issue #1: As far as I can tell, swith assignability/flight mode selection is severely limited. When in the acro mode, I can only select a different flight mode via one of the three-position switches. I would prefer to use the elevator d/r switch, which is not an option. Am I understanding this correctly?

Issue #2: I assumed switch assignability meant I could choose which d/r switch I wanted to use for each control, or in the case of a DX7, gang the aileron, elevator, and rudder dual rates onto one of the original d/r switches. I don't see this option with the 9303. Any help?

I know that the sailplane mode allows for 5 flight modes and allows you to assign them to the d/r switches. I am still looking into this option but I am not yet sure if some of the sailplane programs will get in the way?

Looking for first-hand solutions. Thank you very much.

Kurt bozarth

Old 05-03-2008, 06:13 AM
alan0899

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: JR 9303 Switch Assignability?????

G'day Kurt,
Check out "Flight Modes" in your instructions, that is where all this stuff happens. You can set lots of things using flight modes.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:37 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

The 9303 manual can tend to be confusing when searching for some things. For example, when I first wanted to assign a function to one of the Slider switches, on the right and left side of the Tx, I first had to find out what they were named. In the diagram, they just called them Levers. It took me forever to find out that the Left one was called the Flap lever, and the Right one was the Aux3 lever. I have the earlier 9303, with a 2.4 module. I felt the manual left a lot of information out. I have not seen the manual that comes with the X9303 2.4 and I have not seen any addendum, to my manual, that explains this.

In another instance, I wanted to use another 9303 as a Trainer box for a jet, where I needed ALL 9 channels to work on the trainer box. The manual just says to go into the Trainer program and set one TX to Master and one TX to Slave. I ended up calling numerous times and finally transferring the Model Memory, on the Master, to the trainer box. Nowhere in my manual does it say to do this. The transmitter is great, but the manual is confusing.

Before a switch appears on the list on available switches to assign functions to, you need inhibit it from it's previous function. For example, when you wish to Mate aileron with the Gear switch, you must first inhibit the switch from working the Gear channel and then it will appear on the list of choices to Mate with the Aileron channel. This is true for other situations where you want to assign a function to a switch.

Read the manual, download the addendum updates to the manual, and hit the forums for the answers if you get frustrated.
The following users liked this post:
jimmymac52 (12-24-2020)
Old 05-03-2008, 09:36 AM
onewasp

Kurt,

Check your PM's.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:41 AM
Bozarth

Thanks Guys!

Onewasp, you have a flair for the obvious!!! You should have posted your comments publicly . Now put the computer down!

Thanks,
Kurt Bozarth
Old 05-03-2008, 11:48 AM
onewasp

ORIGINAL: Bozarth

Thanks Guys!

Onewasp, you have a flair for the obvious!!! You should have posted your comments publicly . Now put the computer down!

Thanks,
Kurt Bozarth

Apparently the "obvious" wasn't obvious enough for you.

Sorry you feel that way but, that's life.[8D]

As you suggested, the PM I sent you is now a matter of public record.
Here it is:

Kurt,

Looking at your post one thing is rather obvious-____-you did not do your homework.
(The Instructions have been on Horizon's web page for, well a l-o-n-g time.)

NOT trying to be a SA just trying to get the mind set straight.

Dual rates are NOT assignable to a single dual rate switch-period!
They are 'assignable' via the three flight modes available just as you can come up with triple rates via the Flight Modes.

The three flight modes are assignable only to Aux1 (Flaps) switch or to Aux2. These are the only three position switches on the Tx.

The DX7 has the ability to place all the rates on one of the rate switches (as you noted) NOT so with the 9303.

As the "assignable switch aspect" seems to be a large point to you, consider selling the X9303 and going to Futaba. Yes, I'm serious.

BTW I fly Spektrum /JR and have since '81-I'm very happy and while I know the Futaba guys (actual Futaba employees in charge of RC) they understand my choice. I still vastly prefer the JR/Spektrum performance.
I've had every one of the high performance sets starting with the Unlimited 8 and Circus Circus.

As I go back to 1960 in RC and Pattern I've had a bunch Radios.

I hope you take this as intended. If not my apologies as I know the X9303 is capable of World Class performance.
HOWEVER, it is NOT capable of the two points you made in your post and there is simply zero sense in trying to justify your choice if those criteria remain active.

May I suggest that next time you download or at least study the manual BEFORE handing over your cash for a new system.
The switch assignable aspect and the arguments it creates have been around for as long as switch assignment itself.
JR/Spektrum doesn't buy it nor do they (Horizon in this instance) buy the mode change capability versus the analog trim on throttle.

Summarizing the answer to your post "There ain't no solution first hand to infinity."
and that is simply the way it is,

The ground reached up and smote my airplane

Old 05-03-2008, 12:54 PM
Bozarth

Onewasp,

I asked a technical question, not a philosophical one!!!!! Thanks for the lecture.

Kurt Bozarth
Old 05-03-2008, 01:29 PM
onewasp

Y'all welcome.[)]
Old 05-03-2008, 01:31 PM
gadix

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm not fully agree

i have setup my 9303 3 state DR for all surfaces with 1 SW!!!

oops, i mean 3 flight modes which are 3 different DR for all surfaces with AUX2 SW.

you all readt civered that...
Old 05-03-2008, 01:36 PM
onewasp

Thanks anyway.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:03 PM
BuschBarber

I have my Dual Rates, for Ail, Elev, and Rud all on ONE switch, on one of my 9303 radios.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:33 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All this switchy stuff -
When JR first did the 3 position switch -I HAD to have the new 10-
I found that for me - it was sorta handy I would make a parameter for a given function -then a half way point - fly the model -re-evaluate then change the parameters
after a bit of setting up - I found the "best " parameters and used -you guessed it one or the other of two positions

In contests - the guys who flip switches -you can count on one hand -or one finger
-On helis and gliders - yeh- flip switching is a given.
On aerobatic fixed wing -all the guys I know and fly with, settle on a throw /expo setup and that's it
typically max throw and 70% expo on all but rudder
Old 05-03-2008, 05:55 PM
slarty

True switch assignability is available on the 12X ( and probably future generation systems)
Old 05-03-2008, 06:35 PM
onewasp

You are quite right. Much more than I remembered from my first 'read through' of the 12X manual.

It is going to be interesting to see how they handle up dates on the X9303 without stepping all over the 12X.
That's a nice 'quandary' to have to consider.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:55 PM
Bozarth

Onewasp, Dick, slarty, and the rest,

Thank you! Good insight. I'm liking the 9303 more.

Kurt Bozarth
Old 05-04-2008, 05:07 AM
gadix

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as i said this you do with "flight mode" FMO1,2,3