Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

2.4 Rx cloning?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 02:49 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.4 Rx cloning?

Will it be possible for another company to make 2.4 receivers to work with Spektrum? or is in patent protected?
Old 05-04-2008, 12:22 PM
carlosponti
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: 2.4 Rx cloning?

each company work on different technologies. even though they are on 2.4 ghz the way they go about it is different. the spectrum has a model match feature that is patented.
Old 05-04-2008, 01:03 PM
pilotpete2

Correction, patent pending
Doesn't mean they will be able to prove it isn't fundamental to the concept of binding a receiver to a unique GUID.
Pete
Old 05-04-2008, 02:59 PM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: carlosponti
the spectrum has a model match feature that is patented.
OK so what about a Rx that works with Spektrum but does not have the protected "model match" feature?

The Spektrum Modules sold for various other Tx brands do not have it anyway.

Just want to know if Horizon Hobby will have the monopoly on Rx'es & their prices?[]
Old 05-04-2008, 03:17 PM
GBR2

The only way aftermarket receivers would become available would be if the technology got licensed. I doubt very much that is ever going to happen. If you had exclusive rights to something would you want to license it for someone to possibly sell at a lower price? Don't think so.
Old 05-04-2008, 04:17 PM
Jim Schwagle

Just remember PC-DOS and MS-DOS. If you design the receiver with your own circuitry and don't use Spectrum's, it's perfectly legal. It's not illegal to decode the Spectrum signal as long as you don't copy their receiver. Manufacturer's usually protect against this by using a proprietory chip that only they have access to. I know Futaba claims to have developed their own IC chips and this may be to protect against copying as generic chips and circuits would certainly be cheaper. How many Mac clones have you seen? That's why Apple manufactures their own hardware. I'm no lawyer, but if you design your own computer, don't step on any Apple hardware patents and it runs a legally purchased copy of OS10, there's not much they can do. The bottom line is, if enough money is at stake, someone will do it, if development costs are too high for the expected payback, it won't happen. PCM receivers haven't been "copied" simply because, I think, too few would be sold to make it worth while, each manufacturer using their own version of PCM. 2.4 may be the same, but I'm sure far more of them will be sold.

(On second thought I think it was PC-DOS and CPM)
Old 05-05-2008, 07:37 AM
p51flier

Weatronic announced some 2,4 GHertz dual FHSS Rx's at a german toy fair. I have no idea on which FHSS coding it will be based on. Either Futaba or Sanwa. I dont know of any other FHSS system so far.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33161.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	943212