Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

CAN HITEC HS-645 BE USED IN A PLANE FOR FLAPS????

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 08:07 PM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CAN HITEC HS-645 BE USED IN A PLANE FOR FLAPS????

I was looking at servos that had a higher torgue rating that I could use in a future project to lower a set of flaps. I notice on the Tower site, http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXUZ89&P=SM , that the Hitec HS-645 is listed for helicopter use but not airplane. Is there a reason this servo could not be used for a set of flaps?

Added: I just went to the Hitec website, http://www.hitecrcd.com/servos/show?name=HS-645MG , and they say airplanes are OK with this servo. I know that some servos are not for airplane use and I just found it odd that the Tower add would say helicopters and not planes. Oh well, on to more planning.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:17 PM
rlmcnii
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: CAN HITEC HS-645 BE USED IN A PLANE FOR FLAPS????

airbusdriver,

Is this for your Flyin' King? If so, yes, the 645 will be more than powerful enough. The flaps on my FK are driven with an HS 475 HB. Works perfectly. The FK is not very heavy and it is not very fast. It does not load its control surfaces heavily at all.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:28 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

I do not know why the HS645 is only listed for Heli. I have used them for many projects and I have never seen a reference to Heli only. It should work fine.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:34 AM
aussiesteve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use 645's pretty much exclusively these days as my "Standard analogue" servo the only other ones I use are 475's on some smaller planes, 985's on rudder and 5955s on anything where I want to run digitals. I've used 645's on a number of flap applications - never had a problem. My Ultra Stick 1.20 has them on the 4 servo wing setup and it works well.
I know they are a little bit of overkill in torque but that never harmed anything.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:13 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

I do not know why the HS645 is only listed for Heli. I have used them for many projects and I have never seen a reference to Heli only. It should work fine.
Where did you see this?

Mike.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:36 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Mike - If you look at the beginning of this thread, AIRBUSDRVR posted a link to Tower Hobbies stating that the HS645 was only for Heli use. I have been using the HS645MG for quite some time and I never saw a reference stating that the HS645 was only for Heli use.