Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 6014 receiver heat issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 08:46 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Futaba 6014 receiver heat issue

The problem with Futaba seems to be that the internal heat that the receiver creates
causes the receiver to over temp when the surrounding temp is well with operateing
specs.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:47 PM
SoCalSal
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All. I have a R6014FS recevier connected to a PowerBox 40/16. The PowerBox has been to the factory to be updated for the lower output signal voltage of the 6014 and so far all has been fine.
I have this system mounted in my 30% Stearman Last week we had outside air temps of 100-103 where I live. My Stearman is painted red with black trim. Now I have the recevier mounted in the rear cockpit opening so as to get plenty of air circulation around it as well as having the attenna leads out in the open. You see the Stearman is covered with sheet aluminum on most of the top part of the fuse back to the rear cockpit. I wanted to try to avoid any interferance with the sheet aluminum and the trans signal.
Anyhow my point is I have not any problems with the recevier in these temps. The only problem was with me!!! That heat just takes it out of me.........if there were any overheating issues it would be with me but not the radio.

And I am running Hitec 5955's.......not any problem with this part of the setup as well
Old 07-04-2008, 09:59 PM
Flying Geezer
My Feedback: (14)

You are assuming the chip gets too hot and shuts down. individual components in the chip and periferral components on the circuit board may cause a voltage drop. It's entirely possible that starting with a higher input voltage would delay the shut down until an even higher temp is reached. Chips don't just shut down because the chip as a unit is warm, the chip has thousands of components. One or more of them, or an external component may be the cause for the shut down.

Your can't dismiss anything without testing for it.

All this is academic anyway. We know that heat is a problem, and we know what to do about it.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:08 PM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: ira d

The problem with Futaba seems to be that the internal heat that the receiver creates
causes the receiver to over temp when the surrounding temp is well with operateing
specs.
I'm curious if you are actually running the R6014FS receiver and experienced the problem first hand. I have had this one for well over an hour at 97 degf and it was only slightly warm to the touch. No sign of it shutting down. By the way, what are the temperature operating specs? Where did you get them and what are they? Please post the web site where they are available.

SoCalSal, sounds like you have all of the bases covered. I'm with you on the human factor heat. That's why I didn't go flying today.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:12 PM
Ron S
My Feedback: (2)

Received 205 Likes on 125 Posts

Hi Ken!
Please, under any circumstances, do not fly the popcorn bowl in this Texas Summer! Don't risk it!
I still plan to get my models out under the sun, just to check out what kind of temps exist inside a fuselage. My models usually don't have a receiver sitting under a floorless canopy. They aren't painted black either. One of my friend's jets is painted white and black though, and I hit it with an IR temp sensor, and the temp on a hot Sept day last year (90's, I'd guess) of the black outer surface was 140F in the direct sun. The white surface was some 20 deg cooler if I remember correctly.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:25 PM
Big_Bird

Hi Ron,

Fear not, the popcorn popper top has been returned to it's original intended use. In fact I exercised it this afternoon just to make sure it still worked.

You should be able to borrow a really small telemetry system to get some accurate temperature data inside the jet.

Good to hear from you.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:05 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Actually this whole thread and issue is meaningless. Install the receiver and go fly like many 6014FS owners who have never heard of RCU do. Obviously they have more fun than the nit pickers and hand wringers here do.

Old 07-05-2008, 12:26 AM
Tomas Ahl

ORIGINAL: Dick T.

Actually this whole thread and issue is meaningless.
No, the thread isn't meaningless! It gives us keyboard practise...
Old 07-05-2008, 12:32 AM
ira d

Actually this whole thread and issue is meaningless. Install the receiver and go fly like many 6014FS owners who have never heard of RCU do. Obviously they have more fun than the nit pickers and hand wringers here do.

I think this thread has meaning if it was not for this forum many would not of the
heat issue with the Futaba recivers.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:39 AM
ira d

ORIGINAL: Big_Bird

specs.
I'm curious if you are actually running the R6014FS receiver and experienced the problem first hand. I have had this one for well over an hour at 97 degf and it was only slightly warm to the touch. No sign of it shutting down. By the way, what are the temperature operating specs? Where did you get them and what are they? Please post the web site where they are available.

SoCalSal, sounds like you have all of the bases covered. I'm with you on the human factor heat. That's why I didn't go flying today.

It has been posted in this forum that the 6014 has a upper temp limit of 50C I think
that about 160F. No I dont have a 6014 I just have the 607, It also seems that not
all receviers are shutting down at the same temp but there seems to about a
20 degree vary between different receivers.
Old 07-05-2008, 06:16 AM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

actually Dick, i'm gonna do a test that either whoops all these rumors or adds strength to the rumors...........yep, i'm building me a 1/3 scale Hot Air Balloon, and guess where i'm mounting my 6014?

funny thing is, Tower keeps selling out of the 6014's, and the 608's, so something is really wrong in our world eh?
Old 07-05-2008, 06:19 AM
summerwind

specs.

It has been posted in this forum that the 6014 has a upper temp limit of 50C I think
that about 160F. No I dont have a 6014 I just have the 607, It also seems that not
ira,
50C is 122 F.................scarey eh?
also here is a calc for you,
http://www.towerhobbies.com/help/convcalcs.html
Old 07-05-2008, 06:21 AM
summerwind

I think this thread has meaning if it was not for this forum many would not of the
heat issue with the Futaba recivers.
apparently there ain't too many believing in it (me included) as the 6014's and 608's keep selling out at Tower.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:27 AM
DougV

I stoped worring about this, couple of months ago I tested two 608's one failed at 179F and the other at 182F.

Last week I got my new 12FG Radio with a 6014, it failed at 161F.

I fly under hot conditions here in south Florida, two of my Jet are black and for over 1.5 years not a single issue.

Good enough for me.

Doug.
Old 07-05-2008, 04:08 PM
ira d

ORIGINAL: summerwind

specs.

ira,
50C is 122 F.................scarey eh?
also here is a calc for you,
http://www.towerhobbies.com/help/convcalcs.html

Thanks for the correction on the temp conversion but I think this forum has shown there
is indeed a temp issue with the Futaba 2.4 recivers.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:50 PM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

I wonder if anyone has done a similar heat it up until failure test on Specktrum/JR? Since the Futaba failure is likely caused by a component in the receiver there may be an similar heat intolerant componted in any (all?) 2.4 receivers... Since this is new tech we need to learn the new rules...
Old 07-07-2008, 03:10 PM
summerwind

let's all go about this in another fashion.................heat up a monokote trim iron that is capable of a 110* temp setting.........then by all means, grab it, and tell us how long before you let go of it............
Old 07-07-2008, 05:54 PM
ira d

ORIGINAL: GalenB

I wonder if anyone has done a similar heat it up until failure test on Specktrum/JR? Since the Futaba failure is likely caused by a component in the receiver there may be an similar heat intolerant componted in any (all?) 2.4 receivers... Since this is new tech we need to learn the new rules...
No one has proberly tested the JR stuff because there has not been any reported problems with it so far. IMO its not the fact that something operates on 2.4 that
makes it intolerant to heat, But other issues are at play here.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:45 PM
Highflyer2

I have a comment to all the 6014 bashers out there. Specifically the ones who don't own the unit and therefore have no pertinant info to add.

I have a G35 sport coupe, it corners on rails with huge big soft tires. They last 20,000 miles. On the other hand the wifes highlander suv can't corner as well but gets 45,000 miles on the tires. Are the G35 tires defective?, should a notice to drivers be posted that the tires don't last as long as others?

Of course not. Each tire was built for the car it is mounted on.

Same with the 6014. If you want the speed, functionality and the other benefits of the 2.4 you modify your mounting as per Futaba's memo and go fly. Else stick with your old 72 mhz and have fun.

It was 95 in HOT-lanta last Friday and I flew all day with my 6014 with no problems
Old 07-08-2008, 08:50 AM
SoCalSal
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: DougV

I stoped worring about this, couple of months ago I tested two 608's one failed at 179F and the other at 182F.

Last week I got my new 12FG Radio with a 6014, it failed at 161F.

I fly under hot conditions here in south Florida, two of my Jet are black and for over 1.5 years not a single issue.

Good enough for me.

Doug.
Hi, you state that two of your jets are black in color. That you have been flying them for 1.5 years in a rather warm area and no problems so far. My question is what receiver have you been using this last 1.5 years??? I think not the 6014 2.4 model as it has only been on the market for a short time I think.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:42 AM
DougV

ORIGINAL: SoCalSal
Hi, you state that two of your jets are black in color. That you have been flying them for 1.5 years in a rather warm area and no problems so far. My question is what receiver have you been using this last 1.5 years??? I think not the 6014 2.4 model as it has only been on the market for a short time I think.
[/quote]

Hi: 14 months to be exact, I started migrating some of my airplanes to FASST.
The first two were one black prop jet and the other a DF jet also with a 606 (No issues)

About a year ago I migrated my Helis and pattern planes from DX7 to FASST as well, no issues so far.

Late April/May I installed a 608 on a JMP StarJet, we did some good test with this Jet under the sun about a month ago I think that it was 97*F outside temp, never failed.

Now I installed the 6014 on an F-16 and so far so good.

FWIW on the bench we tested:
607 failed at 171*F
608 failed at 182*F
6014 failed at 161*F

Thanks,
Doug.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:45 PM
tkilwein

The tm14/6014's came out in late dec last year, I was in on the first batch out.
I have run three 6014's and 1 617 in up to 144F enviroments inside the fuselage recorded by a eagle tree monitor.
It is off 1-2 degrees against a calibrated enviro chamber, so I adjusted the numbers accordingly.
One of these days I will run them in the chamber with soak time to see the limit of the ones I have.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:01 PM
Big_Bird

Please do.

Thanks
Old 07-08-2008, 02:05 PM
d_wheel

607 failed at 171*F
608 failed at 182*F
6014 failed at 161*F

Thanks,
Doug.
Do your receivers go into failsafe when the fail, or just quit completely?

Later;

D.W.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:27 PM
DougV

ORIGINAL: d_wheel

607 failed at 171*F
608 failed at 182*F
6014 failed at 161*F

Thanks,
Doug.
Do your receivers go into failsafe when the fail, or just quit completely?

Later;

D.W.
They automatically went into failsafe, I check that twice just to make sure.

You can see the light go red, so you still got power in there.

Regards,
Doug.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.