Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 6014 receiver heat issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 02:15 AM
superdave01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Futaba 6014 receiver heat issue

Never crashed because i was on the wrong model and now i cant...... Didnt say i never crashed.

Im beginng to wonder if a heat problem exist with the futaba recievers, only seen one complaint and no futher comments or a reply from Futaba, Maybe just a lemon reciever? Anyone know of other reports?

Brownouts dont happen if your batteries are suffient and properly charged or if your BEC works right..... with that said the Quick Connect update should have been from the beginning and also JR/Spektrum should have gave 5 cell packs with systems instead of 4 but the bottom line on brownouts is User Error.

Ive seen crashes witgh Futaba and JR/Spektrum 2.4 ........ almost all the ones ive had the chance to look into were battery related.

One Futaba unexplainable, battery was fine also switch was too..... One Futaba was flown on the wrong model. One JR possible battery problem but i wouldnt rule out different problem as battery wasnt that low really, If it was battery then i feel certain had the reciever had the Quick Connect update it would have been fine, least that flight anyway.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:19 AM
tahustvedt

I experienced a brownout with my Futaba 617 receiver because a servo stalled and the only thing that happened was that the controls became a little sluggish. It did not lock out. I was able to land it without problems. I duplicated the problem on the ground to verify what happened. The cheap BEC overheated.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:24 AM
ljones5000
My Feedback: (2)

I've been flying the FASST on five planes since last August with zero problems and I've seen only one crash when FASST was the system. We established that crash was due to low battery; the owner had spent all day "tuning" his engine and simply ran the batteries down. Also, the weather was nice but not hot.

I'm sold on FASST, especially since I shot down someone's plane the last year I used 72mhz. Careless, yes, but it happened but never again. I was lucky, it only cost me $400 to buy him a new plane.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:54 AM
Julez

I have also flown Fasst for more than a year now exclusively, and there were zero problems.
I also think, that Fasst is the system with the superior RF path, and I like the fact that I do not have to fear low- voltage lockouts.

But this certainly dod not lead me to some kind of blind brand loyalty.
As much as I like this system, problems are problems, be it ZGUID or temperature, and I find it irresponsible to leave the RC community in the dark about this.

So, Dick, you might want to reconsider your skewed opinion of me trying to bash Futaba.

Praise, where praise is due, criticism, where criticism is due.

http://flashlightreviews.com/features/loyalty.htm

Why not start a thread saving the 3D flyers from evil 3W. Gosh, their ignitions have a similar temp range and they go right behind hot cylinders or an oven baked firewall?
Well, if they failed at less then 60°C, despite mentioning that this temperature is OK, what would you think?

Peace,

Julez
Old 06-01-2008, 10:33 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Julez

I have also flown Fasst for more than a year now exclusively, and there were zero problems.
I also think, that Fasst is the system with the superior RF path, and I like the fact that I do not have to fear low- voltage lockouts.

But this certainly dod not lead me to some kind of blind brand loyalty.
As much as I like this system, problems are problems, be it ZGUID or temperature, and I find it irresponsible to leave the RC community in the dark about this.

So, Dick, you might want to reconsider your skewed opinion of me trying to bash Futaba.

http://flashlightreviews.com/features/loyalty.htm

Peace,

Julez
If someone wants to do a real "comparison review on heat response (waste of time )
buy one of each of all 2.4 systems rx and do a thorough heat max/min operational test . Fer shere dude - it won't be me-
Now, to real world heat related issues :
Who has actully had them?
Under what actual use conditions ?
with that info - it should be very easy to set up a model which will handle any possible use heat .
PS I don't have any use issues with my radios -

Old 06-01-2008, 10:49 AM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

while i can understand Julez post and what he's trying to point out, i really have to agree with Dick.............how can some of these guys be so ignorant and set up there radios as they do?
but from what is posted here and on other forums, i know for sure that i will never have an issue as long as i don't fly my models in Arizona......[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 06-01-2008, 01:59 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Why not start a thread saving the 3D flyers from evil 3W. Gosh, their ignitions have a similar temp range and they go right behind hot cylinders or an oven baked firewall?
Well, if they failed at less then 60°C, despite mentioning that this temperature is OK, what would you think?

Peace,

Julez
My opinion is unchanged.

I fly both Futaba FASST and Spektrum and have defended both from whimsical and smug attempts to create a bogeyman scenario about their products. The original temp issue complaints probably exceeded the operating range due the receiver being under a big fishbowl canopy in direct baking sun. So how is that Futaba's fault? But it sure provides armchair engineers ammunition to spout "flawed design" tripe, create an "Official" let's gripe thread about Futaba's products. It also smacks of seeking "Praise, where praise is due," yet offering rebuttal with additional, off track, hypothetical questions when there is "criticism, where criticism is due".

Granted, any piece of our electronics can fail at any temperature...that is manufacturing tolerance. An occasional failure does not meant the entire product line is defective, that is why there is a WARRANTY! Trying to turn an occasional failure, real or created by a careless owner, into an OH MY GOD FUTABA HAS FAILED US! clanging alarm is plain childish.

A lot of people abuse their equipment but when it fails it is, of course, never their their fault. It HAS to be a design flaw.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:51 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

Here are some of my own numbers to throw out from yesterday. OAT 78* slight breeze, left plane in the sun with canopy on for 30 minutes. Anything black inside exposed to the sun was 120ish (servos, batteries,rx). Turned on rx for 5 minutes and wiggled all surfaces. The only temp that changed was the rx which went up to 130*. Next, I turned off everything and covered the canopy for 5 minutes, everything went down to 95*. (THIS IS ASSUMING MY IR GUN WAS CORRECT for all readings)
Moral of the story, cover your planes canopy or park it in the shade. It really does make a difference.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:41 PM
Julez

A lot of people abuse their equipment but when it fails it is, of course, never their their fault.
Is operating a device according to the manual abuse?

Please explain to me, how a chip can stay below 60°C, while generating heat in a reciever case, when the ambient temperature is 60°C, which is ok according to the manual.

You can squirm and argue all you want, this does not change the facts [8D]
Old 06-02-2008, 04:16 PM
mrjetpilot

I'd be willing to bet that there are receivers from other manufacturers that have chips with similar specs. Anybody want to prove me wrong?
Old 06-02-2008, 04:57 PM
Julez

The cypress chip Spektrum allegedly uses goes from 0-70°C.
Better during summer, worse in winter
Old 06-02-2008, 06:16 PM
mrjetpilot

Please explain to me, how a chip can stay below 60°C, while generating heat in a reciever case, when the ambient temperature is 60°C, which is ok according to the manual.

You can squirm and argue all you want, this does not change the facts
"allegedly" just means you're going by what you've heard and don't truely know yourself. So you yourself have yet to show any "facts" regarding the Spektrums, or any others.

The heat generated by the chip itself is minimal...maybe 5C or so. The airplane can easily be kept under 55C ambient temp simply by keeping it in the shade or covered. Once the airplane is moving during flight, airflow will keep the temp down, just as while driving your car without air conditioning, its interior will be cooler than it would be simply being parked in the sun.

Here's a receiver brand that's popular with some of the jet guys...and its limit is 60C.

http://homepage.eircom.net/~skycam/L.../weatronic.htm

Anybody want to check any other popular receivers, servos, ect? Or is everybody afraid of what they may find out?
Old 06-02-2008, 06:36 PM
rmh

The cypress chip Spektrum allegedly uses goes from 0-70°C.
Better during summer, worse in winter
The chips generate heat
correct?
so the Spektrum chip if it is left outdoors till it sees freezing temps will simply warm it's self
what more could you ask for
but then perhaps it cools itself instead of warming itself- golly -what will I do now -
I could not resist - by the way we see NO problems even with the 6100 rx mounted externally, on foamies , flown out of doors in freezing temps.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:37 PM
mrjetpilot

But it would have to be working before it can warm itself up.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:43 PM
rmh

ORIGINAL: mrjetpilot

AHA! but then if it did not work -you could not even start the flight
a failsafe setup
Old 06-02-2008, 06:52 PM
DougV

Anybody want to check any other popular receivers, servos, ect? Or is everybody afraid of what they may find out?
[/quote]

From Thunder Power Batts.

Storage & Transportation
1) Store batteries at room temperature between 40 and 7 0 degrees F for best results.
2) If storing longer than one week; batteries must be stored at 3.8V/cell to 3.9V/cell (approximately 50% charged) . This is easily
accomplished using the Thunder Power 1010C charger.
3) Do not expose battery packs to direct sunlight (heat) for extended periods.
4) When transporting or temporarily storing in a vehicle, temperature range s should be greater than 20 degrees F but no more than
150 degrees F.
5) Storing Lipo batteries at temperatures greater than 170 degrees F for extended periods of time (more than 2 hours) may cause
damage to battery and possible fire.
Caring for Battery
1) Only charge a LiPo battery with a good quality Lithium Polymer charger. A poor quality charger can be dangerous . All Thunder
Power chargers & Balancers are of the highest quality available .
2) Set voltage and current correctly (failure to do so can cause fire).
3) Please check pack voltage after the first charge.
For example; a 2 Cell battery should measure 8.4V (8.30 to 8.44), a 3 cell battery should measure 12.6V (12.45 to 12.66).
4) Do not discharge a battery to a level below 3V per cell under load. Discharging below 3V per cell can deteriorate battery
performance. Be sure to set your ESC for the proper cut off voltage (6.0V cut off for 2S packs, 9.0V cut off for 3S packs, etc).
5) Use caution to avoid puncture of the battery. Puncturing a LiPo battery may cause a fire.
Operating Temperature
Charge: 32 to 113 degrees F
Discharge: 32 to 140 degrees F
1) Always allow a battery to cool down to ambient temperature before re-charging.
2) During discharge and handling of batteries, do not exceed 160 degrees F.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:03 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

Please explain to me, how a chip can stay below 60°C, while generating heat in a receiver case, when the ambient temperature is 60°C, which is ok according to the manual.
I can explain this very easily,,,,, I ain't going out when it is 60C, no way in hell

Oh you meant in the plane, it can't, but I will cover my canopy and plane when it is hot out
Old 06-02-2008, 07:08 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: dick Hanson

a failsafe setup
Kind of like the FASST 6014 issue, correct?

Not like the Spektrum system which can unbind in flight if your batt plug just happens to have a signal wire pin, right?
Old 06-02-2008, 07:14 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

"allegedly" just means you're going by what you've heard and don't truely know yourself. So you yourself have yet to show any "facts" regarding the Spektrums, or any others.

The heat generated by the chip itself is minimal...maybe 5C or so. The airplane can easily be kept under 55C ambient temp simply by keeping it in the shade or covered. Once the airplane is moving during flight, airflow will keep the temp down, just as while driving your car without air conditioning, its interior will be cooler than it would be simply being parked in the sun.

Here's a receiver brand that's popular with some of the jet guys...and its limit is 60C.

http://homepage.eircom.net/~skycam/L.../weatronic.htm

MRJETPILOT, MR. Hanson and DougV……

Shame on you guys for presenting facts that don’t coincide with Julez crusade against the evil Futaba empire. Tsk, tsk…one isn’t supposed to question the “official” messiah.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:18 PM
DougV

One more: http://www.hitecrcd.com/product_file/file/88/hs5645.pdf

Doug.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:19 PM
rmh

ORIGINAL: Flyfalcons

a failsafe setup
Kind of like the FASST 6014 issue, correct?

Not like the Spektrum system which can unbind in flight if your batt plug just happens to have a signal wire pin, right?
Boy that's one on me . My 3 wire JR switch harness all have full connections
where did you come up with that one?
Old 06-02-2008, 07:23 PM
rmh

ORIGINAL: DougV

From Thunder Power Batts.

Storage & Transportation
1) Store batteries at room temperature between 40 and 7 0 degrees F for best results.
2) If storing longer than one week; batteries must be stored at 3.8V/cell to 3.9V/cell (approximately 50% charged) . This is easily
accomplished using the Thunder Power 1010C charger.
3) Do not expose battery packs to direct sunlight (heat) for extended periods.
4) When transporting or temporarily storing in a vehicle, temperature range s should be greater than 20 degrees F but no more than
150 degrees F.
5) Storing Lipo batteries at temperatures greater than 170 degrees F for extended periods of time (more than 2 hours) may cause
damage to battery and possible fire.
Caring for Battery
1) Only charge a LiPo battery with a good quality Lithium Polymer charger. A poor quality charger can be dangerous . All Thunder
Power chargers & Balancers are of the highest quality available .
2) Set voltage and current correctly (failure to do so can cause fire).
3) Please check pack voltage after the first charge.
For example; a 2 Cell battery should measure 8.4V (8.30 to 8.44), a 3 cell battery should measure 12.6V (12.45 to 12.66).
4) Do not discharge a battery to a level below 3V per cell under load. Discharging below 3V per cell can deteriorate battery
performance. Be sure to set your ESC for the proper cut off voltage (6.0V cut off for 2S packs, 9.0V cut off for 3S packs, etc).
5) Use caution to avoid puncture of the battery. Puncturing a LiPo battery may cause a fire.
Operating Temperature
Charge: 32 to 113 degrees F
Discharge: 32 to 140 degrees F
1) Always allow a battery to cool down to ambient temperature before re-charging.
2) During discharge and handling of batteries, do not exceed 160 degrees F.

[/quote]
I have virtually abandoned use of LiPo except for 2100 ma 3 cell packs or smaller
Everthing else is A123 and I can charge em directly from a battery as long as I read batt voltage
Old 06-02-2008, 07:26 PM
Flyfalcons

Boy that's one on me . My 3 wire JR switch harness all have full connections
where did you come up with that one?
I'll get you a link from FG, we had a flyer here in the NW lose his plane because it lost its bind mid-flight.

EDIT - here you go, post #20

http://www.flying-giants.com/forums/...tml#post429016

Just take the first dash out of the link
Old 06-02-2008, 07:44 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

You know I gotta laugh-
All the Futaba FB's get all bent out of shape when guys complain about this issue they say its and isolated incident and it doesn't effect everybody blah-blah then they post about 1 guy that had an issue on Spektrum to show how unreliable DSM is.

Then you get the Spektrum FB's and they do the same thing....
Spektrum had issues and they addressed them and they have disappeared
Futaba is having their own issues and they will be solved as well..

This is worse than the which oil is the best debate[:'(]

You scour the internet and find a problem with every system
Old 06-02-2008, 07:47 PM
Flyfalcons

I'm certainly not saying that Josey. In fact I am holding off on purchasing any 6014s until Futaba makes a statement on the issue. However, it is important to point out the idea that all systems have limitations and potential design flaws, and that we should all realize that no matter what we are flying, it isn't bulletproof.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.