Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spektrum Dx6i

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 01:31 PM
Lynx25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektrum Dx6i

Hi does anybody know if this Radios will pickup hobby grade RC channels. Like the Tanks they have posted in the Forums the Cheaper Heng Long tanks.

I think they are on 27mhz am.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:53 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts
Default RE: Spektrum Dx6i

They operate on 2.4 ghz and aren't compatable with anything but the receivers that Spectrum sells for them.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:00 PM
twinbrother
My Feedback: (7)

I have a DX6i and have two issues. First, does anyone know why the landing gear always retracts and then comes back down when I turn on the radio? I read the fix for it somewhere on the forums, but can't seem to find it now. Even though I have the gear in the down position on my DX6i, the gears come up and then back down. Second, has anyone had an issue with the DX6 and DX6i losing connection to the receiver in flight? I've had it happen 4 times now, for about 1 second, and then the signal reconnects. Luckily, no crashes, but one came really close. And it's happened on both the DX6 and DX6i. I haven't called Spektrum about it, but it's peculiar that it happened on both radios. Maybe interference at the flying field.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:19 PM
dribbe

Have you re-bound your rx with the gear in the down position to set failsafe? This is probably your issue.

Also, some (mostly analog) servos will jump if power is introduced, and coast some distance... even with presence of no signal. Some SPM rx's do not send out a servo pulse until a Tx link is established.

David
Old 06-06-2008, 05:08 PM
twinbrother

That makes sense. I don't remember what position the gear was in when I did bind the receiver. I'll give it a try. Thanks.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:09 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Yeah you have to re-bind the rx AFTER you setup the model.

This preserves the settings you stored during setup like servo travel direction, centers, etc. and is where the servos will go when you first turn on the rx and before it links to the tx.

Your signal loss is most likely a disconnect, not a signal loss and is most likely caused by a power brown out where the rx is shut down and then has to "reboot". If you're regaining control that quickly, your rx probably has the "Quick Connect" firmware. Check to see if the lights on the rx are flashing when you land and before you shut off the power. If they are you know two things; you have the latest firmware and your model power system is inadequate...
Old 06-07-2008, 12:13 PM
t_kober

Hello,
I have just bought a DX6i and I can't get the mixes to work right. I want it to automatically add just a little throttle with any cyclic movements, but I can't seem to get it right. I have followed the directions in the manual as well as those on "Ray's Authoritative" series, but I can't seem to get them to respond. Any suggestions?
Old 06-07-2008, 12:19 PM
twinbrother

I'm flying electric with a 4-cell lipo at 5000mah capacity. And when I recharge the batteries, there usually is 1000mah left in the pack, so I don't think it's the power source. I finally did drop a call to the guys over at Spektrum and they told me that you have to have the tx antenna in the "L" position at all times. If it's not, there could be a signal loss due to pointing the antenna straight at the rx. I do sometimes forget to bend the antenna into the "L' position, and I think that could be it. When the signal loss occurs, I'm moving the tx around in panic, so that possibly causes the reconnection.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:42 AM
Supercharged6-71
My Feedback: (1)

I use the DX6i also, I was not aware that I needed to put my antenna in the L position, but after reading the post and thinking about it, that makes a lot of sense.
As for Rx battery, I was using a 6 cell 2100 nicad I had new in my tool box. I have replaced this with a 2 cell lipo 2100 with a 20c burts rate. I am running 6 ds821, 4 for allerons, 1 for throttle,1 for rudder. I use 2 3305 servo's for elevator. I have all this in a Goldberg 77 inch Edge 540. Any help with this setup would be great, I hope to get some flying in sometime soon.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:49 AM
Supercharged6-71

I had someone on here tell me that the ds821 servo's do not have a good enough gear train to hold up to the demands placed on it in a big bird like the 77 inch Edge.
I was told by our local hobbie shop these would be just fine, if I loose my plane because of this I will be, well lets just say upset, I am also putting this same system in another plane, I just ordered the rx and servo's, this system is going in a 120 stinger, both my birds fly on gas not nitro.
Any help with this would be awesome
Old 06-08-2008, 05:16 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Supercharged6-71

I had someone on here tell me that the ds821 servo's do not have a good enough gear train to hold up to the demands placed on it in a big bird like the 77 inch Edge.
I was told by our local hobbie shop these would be just fine, if I loose my plane because of this I will be, well lets just say upset, I am also putting this same system in another plane, I just ordered the rx and servo's, this system is going in a 120 stinger, both my birds fly on gas not nitro.
Any help with this would be awesome
friggen rumors -
here is the problem:
th gear train is filled nylon

IF you attach a long metal or long plastic servo arm to it you can POSSIBLY snap off the top of the output gear
so- use long arm attaching screws and do NOT use longer than JR long arms. If you are trying to do flip flop 3D and need wild throws - use a metal gear train servo.
here is a hint - the 126 Sport JR are terrific and cheap. and 140 inch ounces of torque. all metal gear train.
They are NOT digital but with a system like the DX7 the resolution is so good -you won't know they are not digital -
Old 06-08-2008, 07:31 PM
Supercharged6-71

Thanks for the info, this is exactly what I was looking for, I will order these 126 jr servo's. What rx battery would you recommend, I was going to use a lipo but read on here somewhere that futaba servo's don't like lipo power, I have never heard this before what is your thought on this? I have many different Rx batteries to choose from so any help picking the right one would be great, I have a ofna 1600 NI-MH rx 6 volt pack that I had in my buggy. I also have a 6 cell nicad and 7 cell nicad, I would hook one of these to a castle creation bec set at 6 volts, I would use this setup for lipo power also.
So should I use a bec and bigger battery or the rx 6 volt pack. I am sure 8 servo's take a lot of juice to keep them running , with a spectrum radio I don't want a brown out.
Our local hobby shop told me to use a 4.8 volt pack, he actually sold me one, its a 1400 4.8 volt battery, I will use this in my small 40 size plane but not in my 77 inch edge 540 with 8 servo's, in my opinion 4.8 volts will not power 8 servo's, 4.8 volts is fine for a 4 servo setup with standard radio system,but there would be no way I would even think of putting my big 8 servo plane with spectrum radio in the air with 4.8 volts.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:06 PM
twinbrother

With all those servos, I would be using a lipo battery with either a voltage regulator or separate bec to regulate a 2500 mah 2- cell lipo to the receiver. With the lipo, it will be lighter and pack way more juice than the nicad. For my .90 size electric GP Minnow, I have a separate 3-cell lipo 1500mah battery to power the receiver and 5 standard servos. Your setup requires way more juice from the receiver battery. Better to be on the safe side, that's what I say.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:36 PM
Supercharged6-71

I have a castle creation bec. set at 6 volts, I will use this with a 2s lipo. I have two different lipo's to choose from, the first is a Flightpower EVO25 1500 mah 37.50 Amp 25c continous 40c burst. the second is a Thunder power 2100mah 31.5a/50a 15c cont. 24c burst. Both theses batteries are about 6 months old. which would you use?
Old 06-08-2008, 11:30 PM
twinbrother

I would use the higher capacity one. When you're powering servos, I wouldn't be too concerned about the higher C rating. At 15c continuous for the 2100mah battery, the battery will give you 30 amps continuous. Powering up 8 servos, I don't think you'll be getting close to that. The capacity of the battery is more important. Over a period of 10-15 minutes of flight time, that rx battery will drain, and a higher capacity battery will be better. After your flight, charge up that lipo and see how much you have left. Then you can determine if you can scale down to something smaller.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:17 PM
cfrankfly

Is there a DX6i setup guide for a Trex450?
I have a good working bind of a DX6 and a Trex 450.
I just bought a DX6i also and cannot seem to program it to function with my Trex 450. I have a successful match with my DX6 xmtr and want to use the DX6i as a trainer box. After tring to duplicate the DX6 setup to the DX6i, I find that the DX6i does not operate the heli properly. I can not get all the functions to duplicate.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:56 AM
astroboycp

Seems like there's still some issues with the new DX6i.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:37 PM
Supercharged6-71

I found I could not plug my charger into my radio, took radio back to hobby shop, they called horizon or whom ever deals with this radio, and I have to send it back to JR. This really sucks, I have to either 1. just send my radio off and do with out it for how ever long it takes to get back, he said it will only be a week. I want to fly every nice day so, 2. I have to purchase another radio to use till this radio comes back from being fixed.
I noticed that on the receiver for this radio it states the input voltage to be 3.5v - 9.6v, does this mean I can use a 7.4 volt battery without using a voltage regulator, or will I burn my servo's out with 7.4 volts? I never new any receiver could handle over 6 volts, this is all new to me.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:38 PM
twinbrother

I didn't know the receiver could take that many volts. I do know that if the servos recommend a certain voltage, you need to stick to it. Maybe there are new servos out that can handle higher voltage, but I'm not aware of that. That's the reason for the voltage regulator. I wouldn't plug a 2S lipo directly into those servos if the manufacturer doesn't recommend it.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:03 PM
volracer

Supercharged6-71,

I called and e-mailed Horizion and they did not know there was a problem with the charger. I ended up getting a new plug for the charger that fit the DX6i.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_74...tm.htm#7447518
Old 06-25-2008, 06:06 AM
Rod Jacobs

I just got my Dx6i today looks really good for the price.
I can't wait to fly it.

The manual says I can use the D/R Combi function to switch all three rates on the Gear switch, but when I tried it the menu only has selections for the Aile D/R, Elev D/R, or Rudd D/R switches.
Is this a mistake in the manual, or is there another setting preventing this option from displaying?
Also,
Which country setting has the higher output power EU or US? The Tx came shipped set to EU which I think is the lower of the two.

TIA,
Rod.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:59 AM
jaka

Hi!
On the Spektrum DX 6i you can choose your self what output power you want on the display. Europe demands no more than 100mW
output. US 120mW.
Do you think any of us here in Europe will choose the lower output!?[8D]

Does anyone know if this is possible on the JR 2,4 GHz sets???
Old 06-25-2008, 03:01 PM
rmh

ORIGINAL: jaka

Hi!
On the Spektrum DX 6i you can choose your self what output power you want on the display. Europe demands no more than 100mW
output. US 120mW.
Do you think any of us here in Europe will choose the lower output!?[8D]

Does anyone know if this is possible on the JR 2,4 GHz sets???
Let me guess-
On the other sets - yo gets whut you gets -
Old 07-08-2008, 08:28 PM
mrbee
My Feedback: (2)

i also have the dx61, my question is is the futaba fp-g154 gyro compatable with this for my heli. please help. thanks
Old 07-09-2008, 03:31 AM
jaka

Hi!
Dick... what do you mean??? My English isn't that good you know.
Can you choose out put power on the JR 2,4GHz radios. It isn't possible on the DX-7.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.