Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

DX6i programming

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 01:17 AM
David Gower

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DX6i programming

G'day

I have a 'Spektrum 2.4GHz DX6i' set.
I would like to know if it's possible to mix throttle with flaps on the throttle stick, but only activated, when necessary, with a switch, not full time.
However in my case they would be spoilers not flaps, but I think the same principle would apply.
This would enable me to hopefully have full proportional control of the spoilers rather than what would be instant activation from an independant dedicated channel switch.
In other words, I'd like to be able to use the throttle stick for normal operation on my e-sailplane, but if switched out the throttle stick would then be for the spoilers making them active for approach and landing, or exiting a powerful thermal - and the throttle would be inactive. Then if I actually needed throttle again, say for a go-around, switching it back in would then re-activate the throttle again as normal, and at the same time de-activate the spoilers.
I would have to be sure to close the spoilers before switching in the throttle again, which would then be in the full forward, full throttle stick position.
I hope that all made sense? []
I also hope - - that I'll receive a sensible reply or two from you radio gurus out there, 'cos I'm a Tx programming illiterate!

However, if it is not actually possible to do this with the DX6i Tx, then a possible alternative would be to use a separate channel switch, and use a device like the 'Hyperion Servo-Slow' module in line to the spoiler servo/s, so that activation is not so instantaneous.
Any comments on that alternate idea? ....

Regards ... David.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:07 PM
David Gower

Default RE: DX6i programming

A little addition to this enquiry

How straight do the two aerials each side of the Rx, and the satellite have to be? If situated inside a very narrow bodied sailplane fuselage they tend to bend into a 'cow-horn' shape, as that area is fairly close fitting either across the fuselage or vertically on the side. [] This is made worse if I wish to fit the main Rx into a foam base velcroed to the fuselage floor.

David.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:14 AM
Nathan King

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can only answer the antenna question. I know a guy who tested the spektrum receivers. He actually bundled the antennas around the receiver unit and flew this big old gasser (his test airplane) as far away as he dared without any problems. Now, while I don't recommend this practice, it (and other experiences of mine) does illustrate that the antennas don't need to be exactly precisely straight. Just do your best to get both as straight as possible with the satellite reciever's antennas as perpindicular as possible. Range check according to the manual, and fly.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:55 PM
MX240
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a DX 6I and I don't think you could program this radio for what you want to do with your glider.
But....maybe someone around here knows for sure.
I would think you would need a high end computer radio like a JR 9 or 10 now a high $$ 12.
I think you would use "end points" and mixing the throttle to a extra channel switch.
Jim
Old 05-31-2008, 07:17 PM
David Gower

Thanks for the replies Nathan and Jim. (Interesting that both of you are New Englanders).
Although I agree that the more sophisticated 9X or even worse costwise 10x Tx versions would cover the separate proportional channel far more easily, but as you said Jim, it's a big money outlay just for this one extra function.
I just thought, reading into the DX6i's manual, that you could mix any channel with any other, and even with itself .... [] .... thinking that I coould mix throttle with spoiler - throttling back would raise the spoilers, and - vice versa - throttling up again would close them. But this mix only available if activated by a switch, and not always ON.
Normal operation of the throttle would then be when the dedicated (logically Flap) switch is off, which would be the case when thermalling, using the throttle to move from one patch of green air to the next, and also to get out of negative lift, or get back to the field if drifting too far downwind.
Thanks Nathan for setting my mind at rest about the aerials, hard to keep 'em straight in a narrow sailplane fuselage. Also your stressing that the antennae of each module should be as close as possible to perpendicular - or 90deg - in relation to each other.
I was hoping for a few more replies to this enquiry, but at least I got a couple.
David.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:08 PM
n19htmare
My Feedback: (1)

Actually.... they're both Nebraskans. All of sudden, they're not so cool anymore . jk
Old 06-07-2008, 01:32 AM
David Gower

You're right JK. I was confusing it - NE (Nebraska) that is - for an area within my State of New South Wales called New England, and the closest thing over there to where I really meant of course is the New England Region up in the NE corner of the USA, which comprises no less than six States. Usually my specific Geography is better than that. .... []
My apologies to the two Nebraskans, who I reckon are cool, [8D] and were courteous enough to reply to my enquiry.

In regards to this original enquiry thread, I'm going to try to use MIX1 of the two free mixes on the DX6i - using a test-bench rig, to see if I can mix Throttle with Flap. But it would only be activated by the Flap switch - and not always ON. Incidentally in my e-sailplane the Flaps are actually Spoilers.
Therefore, if it can be done, with the Flap Switch activated and the Throttle stick forward in the Full Throttle position, the Spoilers would be DOWN. Then when the stick is pulled back to the No-Throttle position the Spoilers would be activated differentially - Spoilers UP - Throttle OFF.
By the same token, when coming in to land on finals, on either very low Throttle or OFF, if the Flap switch is then activated the Spoilers would be deployed.
If, however, the spoilers needed to be deactivated quickly, which would be the case when a go-around was needed, because the required action would obviously have to be PDQ, the aircraft would actually be set up OK to climb out with FULL THRO because the Spoilers would be tucked away. The Flap switch could then be de-activated later if required and the Throttle function would then be normal again.

MIX2 would be used for mixing some up-elev into the Spoilers when activated, to correct the normal spoiler induced nose down pitch.

I would appreciate any correction to this idea, if I've got it hopelessly wrong, and completely mis-read the manual.

Regards from Oz

David.