Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 12FG Tx battery pack

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 02:16 PM
i3dm
My Feedback: (51)

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Futaba 12FG Tx battery pack

Hello guys,

My friend wanted a bigger Nimh pack for his 12FG so he ordered a 2700Mah Sanyo one made from 2 lines of three AA cells (which we thought is like the original) and it doesnt fit (too big) !

Do you have any idea which size cells are in the original pack ?

I attached a pic of the original pack (orange) and the new one next to it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93718.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	963592  
Old 06-04-2008, 04:33 PM
XJet
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Futaba 12FG Tx battery pack

I wouldn't bother with 2700mAH AA NiMH cells they can be trouble.

Unfortunately, in order to get so much capacity in such a small package they use very thin plates and separators which means they have a much higher self-discharge rate and are very susceptible to the effects of overcharging.

I've stuck with 1650mAH packs in my transmitters because they still provide enough juice for a couple of days flying and can be fast-charged at the field (at 1A) so 30 minutes on the charger while I have a bite of lunch) gives me the rest of the afternoon flying without worries.

I note that the 12FG has a 7.2V pack, is your new pack 7.2V or 9.6? It could be that Futaba are using 2/3AA cells which would account for the smaller size. And, at 1700mAH, I would have thought that you should get enough for a full day's flying out of a charge or does all that fancy user-interface stuff really suck the juice?
Old 06-04-2008, 04:39 PM
i3dm
My Feedback: (51)

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default RE: Futaba 12FG Tx battery pack

Well, its a 7.2V and Yes after a good day's flying it almost drains, my buddy likes to fly A LOT.

What are the dimensions of the 2/3AA so i could confirm ?