Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Why buy a Futaba 10C when you have a 9C?

Old 06-05-2008, 11:09 PM
VictoryRoll
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why buy a Futaba 10C when you have a 9C?

Hi all,

I see on various forums that a bunch(some... whatever) of 9C Super owners are thinking/planning on moving (up??) to a 10C. I am wondering why that is true. If I go to Futaba's ([link]http://www.futabarc.com/radios/feature-compare.html[/link] Futaba Model Comparison) (of their model TX's) it appears that the 9C has more options in areas that I would consider more important (no. of program. mixes). Otherwise they seem pretty equal in functionality.

Anyway, I am looking for a new TX, and I am wondering if I should just buy a 9C and add the 2.4Ghz module, or go w/ the 10C... or go to JR 9303. I have no allegiance since I am just getting back into hobby and have zero electronics.

What do you suggest? I am not looking to flame Futaba, or JR or anything, anyone, any-anything... nor do I want a popularity contest. Just some personal experiences with the above mentioned radios (outside of 10C since not yet avail, but what you expect/envision) what added value(s) of each system. Cost of RX's do not seem all that important since I can not see that there is a "huge" difference between Futaba and JR, if keeping apples to apples (u agree?)

Please advise, and I thank you in advance for your opinion/help...it is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:09 AM
garys

Default RE: Why buy a Futaba 10C when you have a 9C?

I'll double check, but my understanding is that the 10C does have more P-mixes. The chart is just a bit confusing as it splits them apart for airplanes vs. helicopters for the 9C.

Since you can't be in both airplane and heli mode at the same time, you can't have more than 6 linear P-mixes working at any given time(4 in air/sailplane mode, or 6 in heli). You also can't have more than 3 P-mix curves at any giving time (or 2 in heli mode). My understanding is that with the 10C, you always have eight linear and 5 curve P-mixes available regardless of what aircraft type mode you're in.

I will say this. There are a lot of people in this hobby that simply have to have the newest thing available, and will get the 10C for no real reason other than that.

Personally, I never went to the 9C Supers and stuck with my original 9C's because they did everything that I needed, and the differences between the two were minimal. I used my 9C's exclusively until I went to the 6EX FASST a year ago, and then the 7C FASST this January. Rather than get FASST modules for my 9C's, I'm going to be upgrading to 10C's in the next few months. Since the 9C's are being discontinued, I feel that since Futaba's supporting me, I should be flying the more recent systems. I happy with the 7C, but like the higher end systems because you can transfer programs between transmitters with the CAMPAC modules, which you can't do with the six and seven channel systems. One thing I also know is that like being on 2.4Ghz.

If you don't have a radio currently, I'd be looking at what seems to be the best fit and value for myself. If you can still get a good deal on a good used 9C, and a FASST module, it may be worth doing. If you're looking at new systems, the 10C would probably be cheaper than a 9C plus the FASST module.

As far as which brand to buy, I am a bit biased due to my 14 year affiliation with Futaba, so I'll leave the comparisons between Futaba and JR up to others.

If you have any other Futaba questions, feel free to ask.

Gary Schmidt
Team Futaba, Pylon Racing
Old 06-06-2008, 12:19 AM
Campgems

Fishingships, I have been going through this weed out process since I first saw the 10C. One issue with the 9c/9cS is that there seems to be some delay if you are using a mix on elevators. I'm not sure if the 10C fixes this or not.

On the first couple looks, the 10C looks like a better intrface for setting up your models. Could be wrong here as I've never had hands on with a 10C.

The real question is will the 10C do anything more for you than you can get from the 9C series. I'll be interested in seeing the answers here

As an aside, I was out to the field today and there is a new guy with glider experience who is about ready to get certified on a nitro trainer. It was an interesting few minutes. His instructor is one of the old school guys and a very experienced flyer and an awsome builder. The new guy has a late version JR computer radio. I stumbled across a conversation about why the trims were not right between the master and student radio. The new guy's JR is the master and it is still at the inital settings, No end point setup, no expontential, no sub trim, nothing. They are fighting the trim settings between the master and the student boxes and wondering why the plane's alieron trim is wrong.

I guess the point is that if you cant master the 9C/9CS, or the equivlent JR computer radios, there isn't much point in going to the 10C. I'm still wating to see if it is really anything worth the extra bucks. I'm still a 72mhz guy so the 2.4 abiiltiy doesn't enter into the decesion. I've watched to many guys jump on the 2.4 bandwaggon, only because it was the latest and greatest. I don't have those kind of bucks to blow on somethng that isn't going to fly better than what I already have.

Don
Old 06-06-2008, 07:07 AM
dant-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

As far as buyng a 9C and adding the 2.4 module; Futaba has announced that they have discontinued the 9 Series
and are replacing it with the 10 series. The did state they would be able to supply service and parts for the 9 Series
for a "long time".

Just a consideration in your purchase plans.

Dan
Old 06-06-2008, 09:02 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Well I have a couple of thoughts having owned the 9C Super, a 9Z WCII, a DX7 and an X9303;

Yup, the 9C series tx's have been discontinued.

Yes there is a noticeable lag on the dual elevator servos with the 9C. Some here have claimed there is a mix to help eliminate that, but the only other mixes I found besides the native one, did not have trim. The 10C is supposed to correct the problem of lagging servos on matched channels, or that is what Futaba says.

The 9C has 8 proportional channels when functioning in PPM or with a 2.4 conversion module. It has 9 channels only when on 72MHz, operating in PCM mode and the 9th channel is on/off. The 10C has 8 proportional channels and 2 on/off. Futaba gives you the ability to assign any switch to any function and I think it's got more mixes than the X9303. Matching servo travels when two channels are mixed is not real good on the 9C and is the reason I went to the 9Z WCII. Futaba has a built in throttle cut function. When operating on 2.4GHz, you must select between the various rx's according to what model/channel number they are. There currently seems to be some issues developing with certain 2.4GHz rx's which have problems with heat and shut down. This issue is still under investigation and Futaba hasn't said much about it. Futaba radios are warranteed for 1 year.

The X9303 has 9 proportional channels. The programming is more intuitive with vastly better servo centering and matching capability. There is limited switch assignment capability. The native mixes with the exception of the throttle cut which it does not have, are virtually identical. It works with any Spektrum/JR 2.4GHz rx. The system is "native" that is dedicated 2.4GHz with no additional antenna sticking out the back of the module, but will not accept a 72MHz module. The Spektrum/JR 2.4GHz rx's had an issue with low voltage shut downs when the model electrical system got over taxed, then it would take several seconds for it to come back online. That issue has been addressed with a firmware update which allows the rx to come back online after a power brownout in less than 1/2 sec. or about the same time as a 72MHz rx would take. JR is warranteed for 3 years.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:12 AM
BuschBarber

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesn't the 2.4 module for the 9C limit you to only 8 channels? I have an 8AUPS and a 9C and I use all 9 channels in PCM mode.

Several years ago, I acquired a JR8103 when I purchased a model from a friend. I subsequently bought a new JR9303. When Spektrum came on line and offered the 2.4 module, I bought one. I still have the use of all 9 channels and 2.4 is like heaven. I have not yet converted all my 72 receivers to 2.4, so I still use my 9c on one aircraft.

I like the programming in the 9303 better than the 9C and the 9th channel is usable with a PPM receiver as well as a PCM receiver. The 9th channel in the 9C is just a switch and has no ATV or Subtrim.

I think that the newer Futaba 10, 12, and 14 channel radios are more competitive with the JR offerings.

Having had to deal with RF interference and the threat of being shot down, for years, 2.4 is the way to go.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:23 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 162 Likes on 130 Posts

Doesn't the 2.4 module for the 9C limit you to only 8 channels?
To use a 2.4 module the radio must operate in PPM so yes, you only get 8 channels.

Yes the 10c fixes the dual servo (and ccpm helicopter) lag assocated with the 9C
Old 06-06-2008, 09:47 PM
F.Imbriaco
My Feedback: (56)

I have 9C and won't be moving on to to the 10C as it still doesn't feature conditions which is necessary for an exact , mirror image match through the full range of motion for dual elevator servos. I also use JR servos and don't want to worry about about the lower voltage output of the new Fasst receivers.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:02 PM
VictoryRoll

This has been great, you guys have truly helped with some of the exact concerns/questions that I was seeking. I believe more inputs from the 9C owners and such will be interesting to see if any other issues arise. I am still in a quandary as to whether I go with a 9 ch. (say 9C or JRx9303) or the 10C.

It does seem, as many of you have pointed out, that the 9C direction may not be all that valuable in my particular situation.
The point that Campgems makes (some delay w/ 9C's when using mixes w/elevators) is quite interesting (and appreciated for that heads-up!) and causes a concern for me...(unless I can get a truly great deal.. which to date, I have not come across) .

Additionally, and maybe more importantly, Dant-RCU points out the dropping of the 9C line from Futaba's line-up, along with what Zeeb, BuschBarber & BarracudaHockey all point out of only 8Ch.'s due to needing to operate in the PPM mode for 2.4Ghz....which pretty much ends my desire to go in that direction.

I do, however, agree with the 9C owners, I just can not see the added value in moving to a 10C, if I had a 9C already and add the 2.4Ghz module (which would allow the same as the 10C in that I could operate my 72Mhz RX's and the 2.4Ghz w/same radio), although I realize the 9C would require a swap of the module... not a big deal to me. I, however, am not in that boat..as I pointed out, I need to buy the whole-shebang.. lucky me, huh? lol... I just can't see why Futaba has brought this model (10C) out, and in particular at this price/performance point. I mean there is roughly a $300 difference to add the 3 ch.'s from the 7C to the 10C, but there is a whopping $600 to $900 difference to go to a 12 ch. Futaba. I know the 12's are priced competitive w/ Jr's/Spektrum's 12X, but $600-$900.. Yikes! I will say I would love to own the 12Z/FGA's capabilities, but that is just a huge jump. Would seem wise to have some TX priced between the 12Z/FGA and the 10C (or atleast put more of the capabilities of the 12Z/FGA into the 10C (which, IMHO are not grandiose).

I believe I am driving towards the 10C or 9303 and THAT is going to be difficult. I too, as Garys points out, have been very happy with Futaba in the past (it has big a long time though, but it seems Futaba has not dropped the ball on the great the cust. service I experienced years back). Technology too, for that matter... I do like Fasst... then again, it is not necessarily ahead of the DSM2 technology from JR, just different.

I do have a few more questions:
1. I am trying to justify the need for the 10th channel.. if I go with, say the 9303, what would I be giving up?? I mean, how would you view the loss of the channel and actually have to pay more for a TX w/ one less channel?? Is it valuable to you, in your past experiences, have you wished you had the ONE EXTRA channel?

2. How important is it to you having (or not having) throttle cut-off? We still use the throttle trim for engine shutdown, so I am curious why it is important or desired?

3. Is the fact that the 10C is modular versus a dedicated like Jr's 9303 an issue (besides the fact that I do realize that w/ the 10C you can use on the 72Mhz , where the 9303 you can not)... so I guess I am asking how would that effect someone like myself, where I don't have a need for the 72Mhz (unless I wanted to either purchase 72's 'cause of cost or I buy a plane w/ 72Mhz electronics already in it)?? Is one more powerful, or more inclined to be interfered with, etc. etc.?

Lol.. this seems like one of those questions where the more you try to find an answer, the more questions you come up with, lol...

Well, that's where I am at, and again, thank you guys for helping me talk this through and help me think this through (although I am getting a headache, lol)

Thanks again in advance of your suggestions, opinions, thoughts... they are truly appreciated, and respected.

Don
Old 06-06-2008, 11:37 PM
Campgems

Don, if you want a new transmitter, the 10C is your choice. A lot of this dicussion is around the merits of a 9C vs a 10C. Best I can tell, the 10 C does correct some short comings of the 9c (dual elevator servos-more later), but if you have a 9C, I haven't found a compeling reason to go the the 10C. Maybe once Futaba publishes the manual for the 10C I can get some real comparisons.

The dual elevator issue is a real one, but honestly, I have a plane with that setup and I never knew I had the problem. I guess it's like I'm not good enough at golf to know the clubs make a difference. I expect for a flyer with compentition level skills, it is a real issue. For someone like me who pokes holes in the sky and an ocassional one in the ground, it's not an issue that I worry about.

As to the JR/Futaba question, I think this is more of a Ford vs Chev type question. OK, for you younger ones, Toyota vs Honda. I was trying to help a guy at the field yesterday who had a JR equivlent TX to my 9C. He was having a trim issue with ailerons and his instructor was old school as far as computer radios go. Looking at the JR, he had no expo on any surface. End points and sub trim were all at factory settings. In other words, he was using a $400 tx as a $10 ebay transmitter. Everyting was mechanical. I had a dificult time figuring how to negotiate his setup screens. Of course, when I first got my 9C, I had the same overwhelming confusion. At least at this point, I could compair them somewhat. The fact that I could understand the screen and half way figure out what it was doing leads me to believe that there is slight differences between the 9C and the JR.

Now for one big issue with the 9C and I would have to have a 10C in hand to compare the two, the 9C alarm is so faint that I can hardly hear it at my desk, let alone at the field. My hearing is very bad a high frequencys and when I was training, I took a wind up egg timer to the flight line to know when I was about to run out of fuel. The "Ding" I could hear. The Beep Beep from the transmitter was of no use to me. I've heard other guys complain of the same problem.. I now have a 9C as well as my 9C supper so I may do a little expermenting in this area. I've never flown a JR, so I don't know if they are any better or not.

I would guess though that which ever radio you chose, it will be a good choice. Ford or chev.

Don

PS, when I was training, my instructor flew JR radios. He flew Saito 4 stokes or O.S. four stokes. I was flying a Magnum 52 four stroke and had my 9C. Oh yes, he was a synthetic oil guy vs my castor based fuel. Each time any problem came up, he would make some comparison between the two. One day when I was having engine troubles, he commented, "I smell castor". Finally, I told him, "look, I've got what I've got. Teach me to fly". All was well after that. That will apply to what ever choice you make. You'll have what you have and that's it. Don't look back.

Don
Old 06-07-2008, 12:24 AM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Why buy an 8UAP when you can buy a 7UAP? Why buy a 9CAP when you can buy an 8UAP? Why buy a '09 vette when you can still buy an '08? Everyone of them is good and getting better.

Kurt
Old 06-07-2008, 05:00 AM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

My two cents. I already had a 9C and I'm not a good enough flyer to notice the elevator lag, but I was told how to use a mix, so now I run my elevators on channels two and five, and they both have trim adjustment and with my normal control deflections I dont' see the lag. I could not justify paying the extra $300 for the 10C, and there are so many 9C's out there that I think they'll be serviced for many years to come. A plus is that I'm already flying the 9C with the TM-8, and not waiting for the release of the 10C.
Sam
Old 06-07-2008, 07:45 AM
BuschBarber

I am using the 9C in an Extreme Flight 87" Yak54 with a DA50. It works fine. I am not a competition pilot so I am not as knitpicky about some things.

I like my XP9303 better than the 9C. The XP9303, with the Spektrum module, supposedly has more Latency than the X9303 2.4. I do not notice a problem because that extra speed is not important to me, so I will not be upgrading to the X9303 2.4. Model Match is not that important to me, now.

If I were buying new and being Backwardly Compatible with 72Mhz was not an issue, I would Definately go 2.4 with either Futaba or JR. It would all depend upon the Cost vs the Features

I am selling my 9CAP, with the Synthesized RF Module, a 256k Campac memory module (131 model memories) and 6-8 receivers, mostly PCM. 8-9channel. Make an offer!!!
Old 06-07-2008, 08:26 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Fishingships;

1. It's not so much that all 10 channels are necessary, and I really question the value of having two of those as on/off, but more a question of what radio capabilities you'd like to have. Higher channel number sets usually have more programming options/capability.

2. I really liked the throttle cutoff on my Futabas and used it for my glow models as well as my gassers. I also run fiber optic kill switches on my gassers and assign those to the throttle cutoff switch as well. So when I hit the kill switch on my gassers, the throttle plate closes all the way and the ignition module power is cut at the same time. That same function/feature can be accomplished on the X9303 by using either a throttle/throttle mix, or a throttle curve. Both options are available on the X9303 and both options can also be used for what I call "flight idle" where I flip a switch and the idle RPM goes up a bit so I don't worry about it quitting in flight. The ability to get the engine RPM slowed down is really important with the gassers as just a little extra RPM and they don't want to land, but flying with the RPM that low makes me nervous.

3. If I were you and had to go with everything new, there is no way I'd go with 72MHz. Too many "toys" being sold at different places like WallyWorld and such which run on the 72MHz band rather than the 27MHz band you used to see on them. So any nearby churchs/schools/open fields present the opportunity for the un-initiated to shoot you down. Not having to worry about someone turning on their tx in the parking lot, or to check out a model on the bench before they picked up the frequency pin is also a plus. And you don't have to wait for someone else either, I only mentioned it as it is an asset to some people and it is a difference between the two radio brands....

The third question is what pushed me to 2.4GHz and since Futaba didn't have anything with enough channels to run my gassers when I decided to switch, I bought a DX7 to play with on my glow models. I flew a Funtana 90 one day with the 9Z and the next day with the DX7 setup. I was astounded at the difference in the speed of the control response. I went home and backorderd an X9303.

Now to your comment about Futaba service; while others will have had different experiences I am not impressed. Futaba used to have an excellent reputation established when the importer/service center was that outfit in California from what I've been able to find out. My experience has been with Hobbico/Futaba support and I thought it was pretty good. That is until I started dealing with Horizon. The CS issue is what finally pushed me to JR/Spektrum and I would not go back. 13 months ago, everything I had was on Futaba 72MHz stuff and as of yesterday when my new 12X arrived, I've now completed the transition to all 2.4GHz and all JR/Spektrum. It cost me a chunk of change, but I have no regrets.

JHMO, YMMV...
Old 06-07-2008, 03:40 PM
PipeMajor
My Feedback: (1)

I've only been in the RC side of the hobby for 5 years and started with a Futaba 6XA Super which I used all through my flight training and novice flying stage. I had a Kadet LT-40 with the single aileron servo so only used 4 of the 6 channels.

Once I opted to move up to a 4 servo wing UltraStick, I got the 9C Super with the synthesized 72MHz TX module and R319DPS synthesized receiver (no more crystals!) since Great Planes had a $50 holiday rebate sale on them about 18 months ago. I fly the UltraStick and a small electric 3D parkflyer. Yes, I noted the mix for the full span ailerons in the 9C had a bit of a lag between the inner/outer wing control surfaces.

My teenage son grew bored with the LT-40 so Santa got him a Mini UltraStick guided by a Spektrum DX7. I was impressed enough with the 2.4GHz technology I was considering getting either a Spektrum or Futaba 2.4GHz module for my 9C. Horizon's recent "Great Giveaway" event made that decision a no-brainer but I wound up getting the JR X9303 2.4GHz system which works with all of the Spektrum 2.4GHz receivers as well.

No retro-fitted 9C, no 10C for me. I'll still use my stash of Futaba servos but I'm starting to buy Hitecs now as the need for addition servos presents itself.

To sum up, my purchase decisions were mostly affected by price and popularity. At our field, there are only 3 or 4 folks left still flying 72MHz equipment. Of those who've made the jump to 2.4GHz, about 94% of them are Spektrum/JR.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:03 PM
3DAP

We have a 9cs as well. The best way to ELIMINATE LAG is to switch radio's or buy programmable servo's and well, program them!!!
Old 06-08-2008, 08:37 AM
jharkin

Another reason to go with the 10C vs 9C and module, as other have touched on a bit is the latency issue.

If you go look at the radio latency thread on runryder, you can se the 9C is one of the slowest responding radios Futaba (or anyone) makes today. In PCM mode the average latency is 2-3x slower than some of the fastest radios (DX7, 7C, 12Z). Adding a 2.4GHz module to the 9C cannot make it any faster as the module is still reading the PPM output stream from the radio.

With the 10C, Futaba claims they are using a new processor and software to reduce this latency. The radio also has a new module socket with 2 connectors - 1 PPM output connector for backward compatibility to the FM modules from the 9C/8U series, and a new second connector that outputs a direct digital data stream from the processor. This second connector is what the new TM10 2.4GHz module will plug into. So supposedly in 2.4 mode this new radio sends the digital data directly to the module (no digital->PPM->2.4 conversion) and achieves the same low latency as dedicated 2.4 systems and high end module systems like 14MZ and JR 12X.

Whether this new system is really faster than the 9C in the real work remains to be seen. I'm sure the folks at runryder will test it out soon enough. But then you still have to ask yourself if the lower latency will make a difference for your flying style.

Add this to the increased mixes, more heli options, logic switches and other improvements and you have a really nice package for $599. If you have a 9C you can drop in your existing FM module, sell the 9C and have a nice new 2.4&72 system for, say ~$400. I myself are thinking about one, but Im also on the lookout for a good deal on a used 12Z.

-Jeremy

Disclamer: I am a 9C (non-super) owner and have always flown Futaba.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:51 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

So I guess if I decide to bail on my old 8UAFS, might as well got to the 10C?
Old 06-08-2008, 11:07 PM
VictoryRoll

Personally, Cylclic H, I would, given that the 9 series is discontinued... and again, personally, I believe the 10C is going to be a better radio than the competition (i.e X9303 2.4G) for the reasons many people state above.

Let us know what you decide, I would be interested to know how many of us are going to go w/ the 10C (should it EVER come to be available, lol).
Old 06-11-2008, 04:08 PM
martinoto

Now that the 10C manual is available, I downloaded it and read it (yeah, I know... a self-impossed torchum).

Honestly, I can see no reason why should I trade my 9CAPS to the 10C. I never used more than 7 channels, the available p-mixes are enough for me, and I had never noticed the elevator mixer delay until I read about it in this post.

No surprise, the same happened few years back with the 8UAPS and the 9CAPS. I have both, but I am not using anything on the 9CAPS that is not available in the 8UAPS.

Even the programming locks exactly the same to me. So, Futaba wanted to re-vamp their TX line-up, and that is good. But I was expecting something else, I don't know.. some easier programming, some extra functions (besides more p-mixes), more flexibility on switches... something "new", something different, something creative. This IMHO is not a minor issue considering the cost of a new system, because when I spend more than $500, I expect to have at least half a dozen of new features to keeps me awake at midnight scrolling thru the manual, testing at the shop or learning how to use them. That wont happen with the 10C if you already have an 8U or 9C.

Probably the news are in the upper line, but, again, the 12Z / 12FG confuses me: why Futaba has two 12 channel Tx? Isn't that bad for your manufacture, support and marketing costs?

On the other hand, and most important to me, Futaba protected my investment in the last 8 years: my 8U and my 9C both has FS modules, and I could esasily switch them to 2.4 with a new module. That level of compatibility is well apreciated and not common in other tech toys.

So, I think that in my case a pair of TM-8 will cover the need for 2.4.
Just my 2cts.
Regards
Old 06-11-2008, 06:53 PM
pilotpete2

Hi All,
Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents.
OK, I waited for the TM-8 module for my 9Cs and have been very pleased with the changeover, for me, waiting until the TM-8 was available this spring was easy, as we had 12' of snow this winter, now that's definitely "building season".
As an owner of a 9C super that is only on its second season, it would be hard to justify replacing it so soon, also I will never use all of its capabilities, in fact as to channel count, I have started out with seven channel FASST receivers, as I really have no current need for eight channels (this way I don't have to diddle with the 7/8 ch mode switch, unless I really need an 8 channel receiver)
The 10C looks great and if I were in the market for a new Tx and I'd go with the 10C, no way could I justify the 12FG, heck, I could get 2 new 4 strokes for the difference[8D].
Now I may rethink my needs, when the 10C super, hits the shelves
Cheers,
Pete
Old 06-11-2008, 09:20 PM
VictoryRoll

Hi all!

I would first like to pint out this tidbit of info... take it for what it is worth... I have not done and do not even own a radio, but since you guys are talking/planing on adding a TM-8 module, I think it is only fair to relay this info from another post in which I read.. here ya go:

Did you know that the TM-7 can be hacked into a TM-8 module? I didn't (not that I need to do since I am in market for a new radio anyways). but if you go here:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7578398/tm.htm

... and scroll down about half-way, Pete_K explains the process to do so, which is pretty simple, as simple as toggling a switch!

On another note (and back to the original thought on this thread..

I share both martinoto and pilotpete2 opinion in that the 12FG/Z is rather confusing from the marketability (and/or market slot) standpoint. Having read the manual, however, for both of these awesome radios, I am pleased to see such depth of programming and how truly awesome both of these radios are.. if I only had the money.. if only...lol... He also points out that in order for him to move "up??" to a 10C it would have to have "papable" and truly outstanding differentiation from the 9C radios, and I think that martinoto is correct in saying that the differences are not great, but marghinal.. I would be doing the same as he is, if I were in his shoes (whatever that is worth..lol)

martinoto truly relates a great point in the thought process "I" would take in moving to a 10C from a 9C (whatever).. I could not see the value, unless the delay issue was presenting a problem for me, which I expect I probably would have never noticed.. lol...

Otherwise, I truly believe the 10C wil be a great radio for me, and most people who are in the market for a radio of this type/performance level.
Old 07-27-2008, 04:31 AM
forrest gump

fishing ships, For what its worth heres my view.I am 39 yrs young and have been flying futaba for 30yrs.I will not list the tx i have had but the ones i will keep for ever are the ff7 old(7u) and my 9zap.They were ground breaking radios in their day and are made in japan and of good quality.
I can not hide my dissappointment with the new 10c.I had a 9c for a while which was a cost engineered radio but the 10c takes the biscuit.It feels cheep,and i wonder how long the little joystick will last.the trims are clickly amonst other things i cannot put my finger on.

I am a futaba man through and through and looked hard for a new radio including the 12fg.My conclusion was to buy a second hand 9zap and sell the 9c.I bought a tm-08 module to give me 2.4ghz and now have a powerfull 9ch(pcm)or 8ch 2.4ghz radio for the future.The 9z is a very well engineered radio feels good ,excellent screen with big timer numbers and so many feactures that only the 12z can beat even today.
I admit the 9z do need a service once in a while althought i bought one 2nd hand and had ripmax service it for me including a new lithium battery to give me 10yrs service or so.

Once you have experianced "conditions" with futabas high end radios you will never go back.Even if you think you dont need them or dont know what they are they will come in usefull some day.

The quality of these radios shows through every time i fly and brings a smile to my face every time i use them.People embarras them selves when they say "you only have 9channels,I have 10...the new 10c fasst"...i cant stop laughing to my self as i check my engines rpm with the built in ,up to 6blade tachometer in my 9zap.
Old 07-27-2008, 02:24 PM
pilotpete2

ORIGINAL: fishingships

Hi all!

I would first like to pint out this tidbit of info... take it for what it is worth... I have not done and do not even own a radio, but since you guys are talking/planing on adding a TM-8 module, I think it is only fair to relay this info from another post in which I read.. here ya go:

Did you know that the TM-7 can be hacked into a TM-8 module? I didn't (not that I need to do since I am in market for a new radio anyways). but if you go here:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7578398/tm.htm

... and scroll down about half-way, Pete_K explains the process to do so, which is pretty simple, as simple as toggling a switch!

Except that it doesn't work
Reports back from those that had the chance to test the TM-7 with an R608RF receiver proved that it will not work with any receiver over 7 channels. The only thing I don't quite understand is why they still offer the TM-7 given that is only 10 bucks cheaper than the TM-8. I would have thought it would have gone out of production as soon as the TM-8 was ready for release.
Pete
Old 07-28-2008, 01:55 AM
mr502go

I have a 10C and love it. . . I didn't think I'd feel a difference in latency. . . I was WRONG. I seem to notice it alot more on windy days, I feel like I'm able to stay with my ac and correct for unexpected gusts/thermals with more surety. I still haven't flown with the 2.4 module yet. I sold my 9CS. . . for an additional $350, I got a 10channel ALL DIGITAL module, a 14Ch ($200) receiver. . .an extra receiver pack, a switch, and aileron extension for only $50 more than what a tm-8 and $140 8-channel receiver would have cost. As far as feeling cheap, I don't get that impression at all, and I am typically very critical of these things. I DO wish the gimbals were a little smoother (you can still feel a hint of ratchet in the heli radio. . .an easy fix If I really cared enough to do it) The screen is amazing, the backlight feature is GREAT!! Programming is super easy. I also found out from someone in the industry with test equipment, supposedly this and the 7C are the fastest radios on the market latency wise. . . supposedly 22 milliseconds verses the 9C's 90!! I feel like the toggles on this radio feel a little better than my 9C. . . preferences I guess. One big plus for me is the backlight. I have always been irritated that most of the computer radios are not backlit. A lot of times I'm programming in the house, or in a low light condition. . . it's just a feature that anything you pay over $300 should have IMHO. I also like having fresh pots and electronics, other mechanicals that have no wear on them. . . seems small, but everything wears out eventually.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.