Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

6000 RX with different TX's

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 10:32 AM
Eric.Henderson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6000 RX with different TX's

I recently had a need to bind a old 6000 RX to my radio to test a ZAGI for a friend. It had already worked with his Spektrum 6 but he wanted more TX range so he moved up to his DX7, and also his 6i.

Both the 6i and 7 had flown this model successfully. He flies mode-2 so when he wanted me to test a more powerful motor I went to bind it to my mode-1 JR1024 (A converted to 2.4GHx TX). It would not bind period.

All of my 2.4 radios are conversions. (347, 388, 8103, 10sxII and 10X.) Not one would bind with the 6000 RX.

Anyone know why this would be?

Is it the model ID on the signal packets etc. by any chance?

The Conversion Modules do not have model ID in their functionality. They do, however, work with the 6100, 62000, 6300, 7000 and 9000 RX's with no problems at all.

Regards,

Eric.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:11 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: 6000 RX with different TX's

6000 rx's are DSM and only bind with the dx6 and other spectrum/jr native 2.4 transmitters.

Modules, I'm almost certain, are DSM 2 and only bind with DSM2 receivers and have no backwards compatibility with DSM.

Also you don't get increased range by switching to a 6i or 7, thats still a parkflyer setup. You need a 6200 or 7000 with a satilite reciever, to enjoy a full range system.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:38 AM
Eric.Henderson

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

6000 rx's are DSM and only bind with the dx6 and other spectrum/jr native 2.4 transmitters.

Modules, I'm almost certain, are DSM 2 and only bind with DSM2 receivers and have no backwards compatibility with DSM.

Also you don't get increased range by switching to a 6i or 7, thats still a parkflyer setup. You need a 6200 or 7000 with a satilite reciever, to enjoy a full range system.
My real question is technially why does a converted TX not bind with a 6000 RX.

I have a range of coverted transmitters that will bind with all of my receivers6100 all the way up to 9100 etc., but not the 6000

I have deciated 2.4 transmitters that will do exactly the same with the above receivers AND also bind with a 6000.

Just curious as the what converted TX's don't have that the 6000 wants?

Not important but I just love the details.

Regards,

Eric.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:15 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Barracuda already gave you your answer....

The AR6000 is DSM and all the modules are DSM2, they won't talk to each other.

The native 2.4GHx tx's can transmit in DSM, but it does take longer to both bind and to link once bound as the tx must switch to DSM mode.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:24 AM
Eric.Henderson

Ref, "The AR6000 is DSM and all the modules are DSM2, they won't talk to each other." I get that partno problem.

Ref. "The native 2.4GHx tx's can transmit in DSM, but it does take longer to both bind and to link once bound as the tx must switch to DSM mode" I am familiar with that, but the bit I don't get is how would a native TX know to switch to DSM mode? There is no feedback loop from the 6000 RX to tell the native TX that it is talking to a DSM 6000 either during the bind process or normal operation.

I am guessing that during the bind process the 6000 recognises only one of the channels that the native TX has selected. If that is the case then there has to be something different between the codes transmitted by the DSM2 Module and the DSM2 native TXs.

They (Native and Module) both select two channels on which to transmit. All the RX's know the identity of the sender from the previous bind process. The 6000 only uses one of the channels. My guess was that because the model id is missing (or maybe servo sync), that this might by why it is all working the way it is.

Anyway, there are more important things in life to worry about and if the detals are not generally known I'll cease and desist the flogging of the deceased equine creature.

Regards,

Eric.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:38 PM
BarracudaHockey

There is no feedback loop from the 6000 RX to tell the native TX that it is talking to a DSM 6000 either during the bind process or normal operation.
I think you're wrong about that. I think binding is bi-directional. Either way I know you can't use the 6000's with anything other than native 2.4 transmitters.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:58 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Eric.Henderson

Ref, "The AR6000 is DSM and all the modules are DSM2, they won't talk to each other." I get that partno problem.

Ref. "The native 2.4GHx tx's can transmit in DSM, but it does take longer to both bind and to link once bound as the tx must switch to DSM mode" I am familiar with that, but the bit I don't get is how would a native TX know to switch to DSM mode? There is no feedback loop from the 6000 RX to tell the native TX that it is talking to a DSM 6000 either during the bind process or normal operation.

I am guessing that during the bind process the 6000 recognises only one of the channels that the native TX has selected. If that is the case then there has to be something different between the codes transmitted by the DSM2 Module and the DSM2 native TXs.

They (Native and Module) both select two channels on which to transmit. All the RX's know the identity of the sender from the previous bind process. The 6000 only uses one of the channels. My guess was that because the model id is missing (or maybe servo sync), that this might by why it is all working the way it is.

Anyway, there are more important things in life to worry about and if the detals are not generally known I'll cease and desist the flogging of the deceased equine creature.

Regards,

Eric.
The TX/RX hook up -once"recognized" during BIND establishes what CODE the tx broadcasts. It does no transmit both codes in actual use.just the one it confirms is the correct type.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:33 PM
Eric.Henderson

I had no idea that the Spektrum/JR 2.4GHz RX could transmit as well. It would mean that a native TX it is able to receive and process this information. This would allow the native TX to differentiate between two diferent types of receiver. I can also understand why an RF module replacement system would not have this functionality.

Thank you for your replies.

Regards,

Eric.

As an amusing aside, I was under the club canopy hiding from the sun and was busy binding my electric ducted fan the other day. When I was done I tested all of the controls and a "cry" came up from the other end of the sun shade, about ten feet away. My TX was operating two airplanes at once. My friend was binding at the same time as me and it looks as if my TX got in first.

He just re-binded again (odd grammar there!) and all was well. It seems I was a few seconds ahead of his TX and it took to my id.

Something to learn and share every day about these new radioslater
Old 06-13-2008, 06:28 PM
BarracudaHockey

If it works the way I'm pretty sure it does, that doesn't surprise me.

The transmitter starts as the lowest of the discreet channels and picks two. Yours was on first so it has the lowest two. The reciever boots up and starts searching for a transmitter in bind mode (it knows its binding because you jumpered the plug, other wise it would be looking for its bound transmitters GUID) by starting with the first channel and searching upwards and started binding with the first one it came transmitting the bind sequence.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:33 PM
TheSteve

The DSM2 receivers transmit back during binding, the AR6000(DSM) doesn't.

I don't think there is any technical reason the DSM2 modules can't communicate with a DSM receiver, I suspect it was more a business decision on the part of Spektrum to not include it. The DSM protocol is slower, uses more power, has much less resolution and isn't considered full range so they'd prefer people use DSM2.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:55 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: TheSteve

The DSM2 receivers transmit back during binding, the AR6000(DSM) doesn't.

I don't think there is any technical reason the DSM2 modules can't communicate with a DSM receiver, I suspect it was more a business decision on the part of Spektrum to not include it. The DSM protocol is slower, uses more power, has much less resolution and isn't considered full range so they'd prefer people use DSM2.
Yeh -
Originally a variety of systems weas tested - the present DSM2 -in my opinion is the best on the market - lots of others say theirs is "best " of course.
In actual use in USA the DSM2 with multi rx is being chosen by far more users, if the fliers I know and see are any indication.
Some friends -good friends -with other systems -simply will not fly the other systems 2.4 in their large models - and it is of their own choice. we don't poo poo each others stuff but do openly discuss the systems .
That said -the other systems I have seen - all work just fine . But they are all in smaller models -