Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

boost Range of TX

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2003, 08:49 AM
johninformation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default boost Range of TX

hi there

I have a problem with my RC , I gotta wireless cam capable of sending visual within 4 miles radius, but my RC has the capacity of 2 miles radius , coz my plane gets out of the RC range, I need to enhance the radius of my RC, if anbody has any idea how to boost the range of the TX , that would be appriciated

thanx
Old 05-10-2003, 05:16 PM
Checklst

Sorry I don't know the answer and I think it's best not to increase our R/C radios range. If we all start flying our own personal Predator aircraft the Gov't would put a quick stop to this Model Airplane HOBBY because with longer ranges ect...... we could become a THREAT.

Old 05-10-2003, 10:33 PM
bowanarrow

Right on Checklst ...

We must be careful in how we enjoy our hobby. We don't need any more intervention from the feds. Who needs to fly farther than they can control an aircraft with their naked eye? For what purpose?

Brad
Old 05-11-2003, 12:46 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Can,t say for the UK but I suspect just as it is in the US it would be decidedly illegal to boost power output of our RC systems. And this is also kind of pointless since you could never fly the airplane manually at that range and yes I know you think you are going to control it by the telly. Well perhaps you should think agine, Think hard it isn,t going to happen.

The very fact you had to ask this question demonstrates that you do not have the technical ability to build a RPV something that will be severely frowned on by your fellow modelers as well as for lack of a better word, the authorities.

I would ask of you even though you are an ocean away don,t do this, there is simply to much at stake.

John
Old 05-11-2003, 02:42 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think in most countries, if not all, Tx output power cannot exceed 1W.
Old 05-11-2003, 03:18 AM
XJet
Banned

You probably mean 1W (1000mW).

Note that (as I pointed out in the other thread on this subject) you can use a directional antenna to increase the "effective radiated power" without actually increasing the RF output of the transmitter itself.

Whether this is legal or not depends on how the regs in your country are worded.

If they say something like "the RF power is limited to 1000mW" then a directional antenna may well be okay.

However, if they say "the effective radiated power must not exceed 1000mW" then it's probably not.

Regardless of the transmitter output (effective or actual) the main problem will be that treating an RC model as a UAV will be fraught with problems -- many related to the limited field of view offered by a cheap camera and the general difficulty associated with this type of remote piloting.
Old 05-11-2003, 05:19 AM
Noah-Moore

You all make good points, but actually range boosting units do exist and they are legal (to a certain amount of course). I've known flyers of large, high-altitude cross-country sailplanes to use them.
Old 05-11-2003, 04:05 PM
miltonmorris

I've got it! Why don't you get a job in the aerospace industry and you can do all the UAV stuff you like?
Old 05-12-2003, 03:12 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Your double posting here. Please keep one post per topic so we don't have to answer twice.