Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

boost range of TX

Old 05-10-2003, 08:58 AM
johninformation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default boost range of TX

hi there

I'm having a problem with my RC range , infact I gotta wireless cam (mounted on my plane) with a range of 4 miles , but my Transmitters range is 2 miles , so my visual remains intact when my plane gose off the tansmitter range , I need to boost its range , any ideas in that ragard will be appriciated..

thanx
Old 05-10-2003, 11:23 AM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

Default Re: boost range of TX

Originally posted by johninformation
hi there

I'm having a problem with my RC range , infact I gotta wireless cam (mounted on my plane) with a range of 4 miles , but my Transmitters range is 2 miles , so my visual remains intact when my plane gose off the tansmitter range , I need to boost its range , any ideas in that ragard will be appriciated..

thanx

If your Transmitter's range is two miles, you shouldn't complain, that is about double of what it should be or anybody else's for that matter.
Old 05-10-2003, 11:35 AM
thtoyman

Default tx

I know of a way. Go to ham band.
Old 05-10-2003, 12:13 PM
Steve Lewin

Ham band isn't permitted for R/C in the UK. Nor is it legal to boost the transmitter output. Can't think of any practical and legal way to get more range than you have. R/C is not intended for flying outside visual range.

Steve
Old 05-10-2003, 01:34 PM
strato911

Default Re: boost range of TX

Originally posted by johninformation
I'm having a problem with my RC range ..... my Transmitters range is 2 miles ....
2 mile range is not a problem - that's excellent.
Old 05-10-2003, 02:16 PM
Homebrewer
My Feedback: (8)

A 1000 watt linear amplifier would do the trick for ya!.

Seriously, our transmitters put out about a watt and this is all you need for our hobby. 2 mile range is in fact excellent and I can't think of any legal way to extend your range.

KX1J
Old 05-10-2003, 03:07 PM
Forgues Research

Originally posted by Homebrewer
A 1000 watt linear amplifier would do the trick for ya!.

Seriously, our transmitters put out about a watt and this is all you need for our hobby. 2 mile range is in fact excellent and I can't think of any legal way to extend your range.

KX1J

Most TX today put out about 3/8 watt. Multiplex pust out the legal limit of 3/4 watt.
Old 05-10-2003, 08:35 PM
XJet
Banned

I don't know how the regs are worded in the UK but you could use a directional antenna (such as a yagi beam) on your TX to significantly increase the range.

Such antennas work not by increasing the amount of power your transmitter puts out but by effectively directing all of the transmitter's existing power towards your plane rather than radiating it equally in all directions as happens with a plain whip antenna.

Back in the 1960's, Maynard Hill used a Yagi on a regular (Kraft?) transmitter when establishing his altitude records. From memory he was going for something well over 20,000 feet and that's nearly four miles.

However, I strongly recommend that you actually try flying your camera-equipped plane at closer ranges before you get all excited about extending its operation beyond the current range of your RC gear. It's not quite as simple as you might think.

Another factor to consider is that the further away you fly, the greater the risk that there might just be someone else using a transmitter on the same frequency without you being aware -- and with obviously disastrous results.

How would you feel if someone 5 miles away with a Yagi antenna on their TX shot down one of your planes?

If this kind of long-range model flying interests you then you might want to check out http://www.interestingprojects.com/cruisemissile/
Old 05-12-2003, 12:40 PM
kcrunch racer x

dont go the extra mile or so it will definitely cause a problem especially if the person vehicle plane or car that u damage happens to find you and realize you are the cause.

these crafts that we operateare far from cheap and any destruction intentionally is grounds for the person in the wrong to fully pay forthe damged goods. thatis my 2 cent and i know u did not ask fo it but u got.

krx
Old 05-12-2003, 02:58 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just curious, are you flying it watching the monitor and not the plane? Is that why you want more range?
Old 05-12-2003, 08:06 PM
kcrunch racer x

in all reality you already have excellent range, and more would only ask for trouble. all you have to do really is enjjoy the view of the nice cam on there and love it. you would not like to be on the other end of the stick if your plane was in a shambles in a pile of rubble and ash.
Old 05-15-2003, 11:59 PM
bowanarrow

Most of us don't fly predator type aircraft. Why in the world would anyone want to fly a hobby aircraft out of his/hers normal range of vision? What is the mission here?

brad
Old 05-18-2003, 03:26 PM
Hyrax

Was johninformations thread that hard for some of you to understand? The guy asked a simply question, and got a bunch of ******** opinions.

Most of the people who replied prefer to jump to conclusion about johninformations situation before giving him you "advise". If you guys a worried that johninformation hasn't consider the legal implications and possible effect on other RC users remind him in a friendly manner that I thought this hobby was meant to be known for. How do you know he is not operating his model on a large private property? You don't!

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by aerografixs

If your Transmitter's range is two miles, you shouldn't complain, that is about double of what it should be or anybody else's for that matter.

Sorry Roger, but I didn't hear johninformation complain. He said he has an application for his plane were he needs to increase his range. If you don't have anything constructive to say in reply to his question then DON'T REPLY!

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Steve Lewin

R/C is not intended for flying outside visual range.

Heaven forbid we use something for other than its "intended" use. Maybe we should never have used radio waves original "intended" for audio transmission to control small models. Maybe we should never have miniaturized a plane and fly it remotely because it was originally "intended" to be controlled by a human being seated inside the aircraft. Those engineers back in the day must have had some whacky ideas, hey. However I'm sure they had people like you telling them that it couldn’t or shouldn’t be done.

quote:
Originally posted by XJet

I strongly recommend that you actually try flying your camera-equipped plane at closer ranges before you get all excited about extending its operation beyond the current range of your RC gear. It's not quite as simple as you might think.

Obviously johninformation has already tested his plane at closer ranges. How else would he know that he can get the ranges he stated? Stop stating the obvious to big note yourself.

You guys don't like thinking outside the box. Anyone with some vision or creative though (even if johninformation was thinking out loud to encourage a technical conversation) and you guys have to shoot him down. Obviously you can only buy a kit, put it together and then use it for its "intended" use because anything else could strain you feeble brains.
Old 05-18-2003, 06:18 PM
Forgues Research

Originally posted by Hyrax
Was johninformations thread that hard for some of you to understand? The guy asked a simply question, and got a bunch of ******** opinions.

Most of the people who replied prefer to jump to conclusion about johninformations situation before giving him you "advise". If you guys a worried that johninformation hasn't consider the legal implications and possible effect on other RC users remind him in a friendly manner that I thought this hobby was meant to be known for. How do you know he is not operating his model on a large private property? You don't!

quote:
Originally posted by aerografixs

Sorry Roger, but I didn't hear johninformation complain. He said he has an application for his plane were he needs to increase his range. If you don't have anything constructive to say in reply to his question then DON'T REPLY!

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Lewin

R/C is not intended for flying outside visual range.

Heaven forbid we use something for other than its "intended" use. Maybe we should never have used radio waves original "intended" for audio transmission to control small models. Maybe we should never have miniaturized a plane and fly it remotely because it was originally "intended" to be controlled by a human being seated inside the aircraft. Those engineers back in the day must have had some whacky ideas, hey. However I'm sure they had people like you telling them that it couldn’t or shouldn’t be done.

quote:
Originally posted by XJet

I strongly recommend that you actually try flying your camera-equipped plane at closer ranges before you get all excited about extending its operation beyond the current range of your RC gear. It's not quite as simple as you might think.

Obviously johninformation has already tested his plane at closer ranges. How else would he know that he can get the ranges he stated? Stop stating the obvious to big not yourself.

You guys don't like thinking outside the box. Anyone with some vision or creative though (even if johninformation was thinking out loud to encourage a technical conversation) and you guys have to shoot him down. Obviously you can only buy a kit, put it together and then use it for its "intended" use because anything else could strain you feeble brains.

WOW, the internet police is here.

Don't get your nickers in a twist, when I said he shouldn't complain, it wasn't meant the way you saw it abviously.
Old 05-19-2003, 04:15 AM
Hyrax

This has got nothing to do with policing the internet. This has got to do with how you conduct yourself with respect to others in the hobby. Because you can’t come up with new ideas of you own, you have to prove you “experience” and “knowledge” by telling others that, “no, that won’t work” or “you won’t be able to do that” when they ask questions. Do you have a crystal ball, how are you going to know if it will work if you don’t try. A lot of people behave like they were born with all the RC knowledge they possess. They too had to learn and ask questions that would sound stupid to a RC expert.

Roger, your reply contains no intelligent thought or information. You have used unoriginal cliques to take the attention away from the issues I brought up in my post. If I interpreted what you said differently than you meant than please, explain what you meant.
Old 05-19-2003, 04:17 AM
CWLWL

Hi All,

Very good answers by HYRAX from PERTH. He said what I always want to say whenever I saw such a thread in here or elsewhere.

Remember this is a UNVERSAL web, which means that LAWS of DIFFERENT COUNTRIES VARY. FCC is applicable to US which may not be applied to Europe and so on. HAM means a sort of MEAT to me or many English speakers.

The points I want to make is simple, ANSWER THE QUESTIONS accordingly.Don't block anyone's mind. After all, going for answers to some uncertainties is one of the HIGHLIGHTS of our hobby. I think johninformation is just want some TECHNICAL advices or supports from some experts ABOUT ' HOW TO BOOST THE TX OUTPUT' , that's all. Maybe he has been already consulting some LAW EXPERT about the consquences of undertaking such activites.

I hope my point of views will not be considered as OFFENSIVE to the experts.

Regards,

David
Old 05-19-2003, 11:00 AM
Forgues Research

This has got nothing to do with policing the internet. This has got to do with how you conduct yourself with respect to others in the hobby. Because you can’t come up with new ideas of you own, you have to prove you “experience” and “knowledge” by telling others that, “no, that won’t work” or “you won’t be able to do that” when they ask questions. Do you have a crystal ball, how are you going to know if it will work if you don’t try. A lot of people behave like they were born with all the RC knowledge they possess. They too had to learn and ask questions that would sound stupid to a RC expert.

Roger, your reply contains no intelligent thought or information. You have used unoriginal cliques to take the attention away from the issues I brought up in my post. If I interpreted what you said differently than you meant than please, explain what you meant.

I'm not sure what the hell your talking about, but you have the wrong person about how I conduct myself, wow, I'm not the type to be the know it all as you imply.

Read my post again, and all I said, that he was lucky to get 2 miles as this is a lot more then most, that's all I said, please give a break.

Besides it was not to you the post was directed at.
Old 05-19-2003, 02:14 PM
Hyrax

No need to get your nickers in a twist, Roger.
Old 05-19-2003, 03:03 PM
Forgues Research

No need to get your nickers in a twist, Roger.

I know, but that's exactly what you were doing.
Old 05-19-2003, 03:17 PM
Steve Lewin

Most of the people who replied prefer to jump to conclusion about johninformations situation before giving him you "advise". If you guys a worried that johninformation hasn't consider the legal implications and possible effect on other RC users remind him in a friendly manner that I thought this hobby was meant to be known for.
There are two people in this thread who have not even tried to offer any sort of useful information to "johninformation". You and CWLWL. You've simply attacked and insulted everyone else because you didn't like their answers.

So where's all this helpful "thinking outside the box" that you two are offering ? What ever happened to leading by example ? Too hard ? The world doesn't really need any more critics.

Steve
Old 05-19-2003, 03:47 PM
Hyrax

Stevo

It’s good that you attacked me because you didn't like my answers, as you pointed out that I have so shamelessly done. It’s also good that are leading by example by criticizing me and by adding yourself to the growing number of critics in the world. Oh, the irony of it all!

If you took two seconds to read what I have written, you might have been able to understand that I was asking people to be less critical, but don't over stretch yourself.
Old 05-19-2003, 03:57 PM
Whiplash

The only easy way (and most legal) would be to use a ground plane antenna in place of your regular TX whip antenna. You still will not get out to 4 mi unless you are in a very dry very flat place.
Old 05-19-2003, 04:12 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mr. Hyrax

You are the only one on this entire thread that has chosen to resort to name calling and making vailed assertions of improprietys when in fact you are the only one doing so. Steve Lewin (notice I did not deliberately mispell his name) is quite correct about your effort to not only offer no constructive help. Apparently you registered just to start Flame wars.

Aerografixs as well as Mr. Lewin are respected gentlemen on this board However you sir have no track record but got quite a start!

Respectfully John
Feel free to flame me if you wish to spend your time that way.
Old 05-19-2003, 04:33 PM
Hyrax

Dear Mr BohnJuckner,

Touché old chum, Touché

Another sparkling commentary straight from the hallowed halls of the Senior Member Gentlemen’s Club.

Regards
Mr. Hyrax
Old 05-19-2003, 06:41 PM
CWLWL

Hi All,

Thanks for reminding me that I was off topic in my last reply, but in fact I am just curious to know , why anything which is related to BOOST TX RF could evolve into such a SERIOUS question?

I personally found that it should not be 'THE BUTTOCKS OF TIGER'...can't be touched.
This is an open forum so I think everyone should have the right to express their opinions as long as it is constructive and helpful to others. Just like Roger, Harry, and many others who always give some detailed and useful answers to the some topics which they are really good at. So in my previous reply I just want to calling for someone who would kindly give A RELEVANT ANSWER to Johninformation.

In order not to be off this topic, my answer to johninformation is: Can anyone here tell johninformation how to boost the RF of the Tx in a practical way so he can have 4 miles or more effective control range?

Regards,

David.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.