Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 10C - Flight Report

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 09:22 AM
PlaneHeli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 10C - Flight Report

I am considering purchasing the Futaba 10C Tx.

Its not available where I am yet, but I hear they are shipping now.

I would be very interested in hearing user comments (good and bad) about this radio.

Are there any issues about this radio. Weve had the Guid problem on others and heat issues with the 14 Ch Rx.

Are they shipping with the 14 Ch Rx

Any info welcome.

Cheers

Old 06-21-2008, 10:10 AM
JCINTEXAS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Futaba 10C - Flight Report

Me too.
I was one of the first to buy the 6EX FASST and the 7C FASST.
They are both excellent radios and have performed perfectly.
I just want to keep up with the new user comments on the new 10C.
Regards
JC
Old 06-21-2008, 01:17 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Certain we will see flight reports soon now that the 10C FASST is shipping. Currently it ships with the FASST 6014 receiver. I am takiing delivery of one on Monday.

The reported GUID issue only affected some early 6EX transmitters and TM-7 modules. No other systems were.

The 6014 heat issue was blown completely out of proportion by a few alarmists seeking online attention. There were only a few genuine reported heat issues and the opinion consensus was the problem was owner induced. Many owners are now flying in hot weather conditions and reporting no problems.

I currently have the 14MZ on FASST with the 6014. Have been flying for a couple of weeks now in 100+ degree temps. The only thing that fades in the heat is me!

My nickel's worth.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:42 PM
PlaneHeli

Dick T.

I read on another thread a comment by someone with a new 10C commenting on the TM10 module being great.

So wondered if they were all actually shipping with a TM 10 Rx.

I hope your right about no issues with it. Then I will get one sooner rather than later.

Why are you getting a 10C if you already have the 14MZ.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:07 PM
Dick T.

ORIGINAL: PlaneHeli

Dick T.

I read on another thread a comment by someone with a new 10C commenting on the TM10 module being great.

So wondered if they were all actually shipping with a TM 10 Rx.

My understanding is the first shipments are FASST systems with the TM10 and 6014FS receiver. Later 72mhz systems will have a dedicated 10 channel PCM receiver and current standard single or synthesized transmitter modules (same as used in the 7C, 8C and 9C). There also may be a 10 channel FASST receiver coming.

I hope your right about no issues with it. Then I will get one sooner rather than later.

As mentioned previously the heat issue revolved around only several reports where receivers were exposed directly to the sun under a big canopy. Normal and sensible installations have thus far encountered no problems.

Why are you getting a 10C if you already have the 14MZ.

Upgrading from a 9Z that has served me well and wanted all my Futaba gear (FASST and 72mhz) to be current technology. The 14MZ is being used in giant scale models where as the 10C will take care of my mid-range and sport models. Besides that, I just wanted one!!
Old 06-21-2008, 08:33 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

Test flew mine today in 104 degree weather. Performed flawlessly. Like the feel and big, bright display so much that I sold my three month old 9C and TM-7 module to another flyer at the field, thus reducing the cost of upgrading to $254.............sweet deal for both of us.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:00 PM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Teachu2

Test flew mine today in 104 degree weather. Performed flawlessly. Like the feel and big, bright display so much that I sold my three month old 9C and TM-7 module to another flyer at the field, thus reducing the cost of upgrading to $254.............sweet deal for both of us.
hey Trent and you are in Bakersfield too...........man it gets hot down there. when we come down there to work for the day, we bring a gallon size Gator Aide that is frozen.........by 10am it's already luke warm.
up here it stays cold till noon.
seems like when it's a 105 here and there, it always feel 10* hotter down there.

seriously though, i'll bet the hottest the Rx got was around 130, and you already know what the 104 felt like.............seems we have another issue in another post going though, but it also smells a bit fishy.
congrats on the new 10C.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:44 PM
craigteffe
My Feedback: (24)

You PI**me off. What i have posted in the other thread is the TRUTH, TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT does not matter to me the reason for the thread was to warn as many people about the problem as possible.

Read the thread if you still want to fly with these recievers then by all means do so. Good Luck!!

I have been a faithfull user of Futaba for 10 years, but i don't want to loose a plane because of a faulty reciever or design flaw. My planes cost too much for me to crash for that reason.

If interested here is the thread

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7645681/tm.htm

Old 06-21-2008, 11:54 PM
Dick T.

ORIGINAL: craigteffe

You PI**me off. What i have posted in the other thread is the TRUTH, TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT does not matter to me the reason for the thread was to warn as many people about the problem as possible.
Hold your horses Craigteffe, I read your thread and no one is saying it isn't the truth.

Read the thread if you still want to fly with these recievers then by all means do so. Good Luck!!
I have been with excellent results. Your thread expounds on all the years of RC experience. I have many too and maybe more. One thing I NEVER do is take a new out of the box receiver and put it into my primary(s) flying machines. It gets 15-20 flights in a beater first to insure all is well.

If interested here is the thread http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7645681/tm.htm#
I posted a response there asking several questions as it sounds like there is more to the issue than a blanket 'temperature failure' statement.

I have been a faithfull user of Futaba for 10 years, but i don't want to loose a plane because of a faulty reciever or design flaw. My planes cost too much for me to crash for that reason.
A faulty receiver can show up anywhere. Of course no one wants to be on the paying end of one but it happens. Unless you are an electronics engineer, and I 'm not, we don't know a design flaw from our fat rear ends! So don't go there.
Not bashing you personally here, just don't like half baked statements about any manufacturer flying around.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:58 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

Craig - First of all, I BELIEVE YOU. I'm sure your friend suffered a failure - but that doesn't mean ALL the receivers are bad. It doesn't even mean that HIS receiver is bad. It means that IN HIS INSTALLATION the receiver quit. It may be a bad receiver, a bad installation, or both.

Your post there includes this:

"Again this is not my plane but a friend of mine. The reciever was mounted on top of a power expander no foam was used around the reciever.

It was sitting under canopy, but so were the batteries. It would be fine untill we would pull the pin from the switch and from that point on the reciever would start heating up.when it hit 140 degrees it would stop responding to the transmitter. This temp was measured on the outside of the case, so i would think the inside temp on the components would be more.

I don't know about you guys but if i see people reporting failures and i have heard of a few, and now I have seen one with my own eyes that gives me no confidence in that product, and i don't want to loose one of my planes because of a reciever that should not be out there. The risk is too great for me now Anybody want to purchase 2 new still in the box R608FS recievers, that is if i cannot return them, I may also have TM-8 Module and another reciever if tower will not give me credit for these. "

My thoughts/questions - Does the power expander generate heat? Why no foam around the receiver? Did he try isolating the receiver and/or following the directions by wrapping it in foam?
Old 06-22-2008, 12:00 AM
craigteffe

That was meant for Summerwind look in the bottom righthand corner of the post.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:02 AM
craigteffe

No foam? I suppose because more airflow around the reciever, Not really sure.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:38 AM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey what do you expect here.............you tell all of us how you have been a loyal Futaba user for over 10 years, but your friend takes a brand new untested Rx, and mounts it in a very expensive plane and proceeds to just go flying like he's used this radio component for years.
i'm sorry, but where i come from in the RC world, no one in their right mind takes an expensive plane and mounts a new and untested Radio or Rx in it and just goes flying, especially one that is related to heat failure. it's common practice to mount any such component in a test bed and fly the snot out if it to make sure the radio is solid before using it in such a plane as "your friend" did.
you also posted that the Rx was at 143* on an 87* day.
either the Rx is victim of an extreme Amp draw, or the Rx was mounted under a canopy which we all know at this time is pure death. so the facts are not quite clear on this whole story of yours.
and for a Rx to work in the testing you guys did after the crash and then within a minute of turning it on it suddenly goes RED means that soemthing was not right.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:39 AM
Dick T.

I know that but this is an open forum so I chose to inject my two cents.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:02 AM
victorzamora

FYI, Craig....the "(in reply to <insert name here> )" thing simply puts the person that posted above you in that place. You responded to yourself in Post #12. See?
Old 06-23-2008, 10:45 AM
PlaneHeli

I know its early days for the 10C and only a few out at the fields so far.

But im guessing no news is good news. All working as advertised so far.

PS: victorzamora, You can reply to whomever you want. Just click on reply from that persons post. It doesnt automatically just insert the previous posts handle.

Cheers
Old 06-23-2008, 10:57 AM
victorzamora

Haha...I'm glad I learned that! I also learned how to quote someone yesterday.

Still, the lack of foam around the receiver IS for cooling. Futaba even suggests that you mount it on its thinner side so that there's more surface area to cool.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:47 AM
VictoryRoll
My Feedback: (2)

Hey Guys .. guys.. guys... cool down, eh? The original post was asking about the 10C, and badda-bing.. off it goes into wonderland..lol... Let's leave the heat issue in the thread where it resides, and get back to what a GREAT Tx the 10C is. Ordered mine from Tower, last Monday, received it on Friday! I absolutely love it. Great transmitter feel.. the sticks also have an expensive, solid feel to them... great tension out-of-the-box for me, altho ability to modify is there if need be. Programming is a cinch, at least to me. I did not, as most of us are guilty of, pick up the manual to get any info for programming, altho I did review the manual when it first became available online. Seems pretty straight-forward and intuitive. Kudos to Futaba.

Anyway, I love the 10C, and plan on it being my Tx for a long time.

Cheers!

-Don
Old 06-23-2008, 02:51 PM
FlysEm

I've been programming my new 10C, and although I haven't flown with it yet, I love it. Programming and navigation are a definite improvement on the 9C, as well as lots of other things.

Here's my question...the settings for a given model cannot be saved on a laptop/ desktop computer, so the next best thing is getting a format to use for each model and typing or writing it out. Using an excel spread sheet for this would be perfect, and it could be saved to a computer. Does anyone know where we could obtain such a format for the 10C (or other similar) so we don't have to reinvent the wheel as to the layout? Is this covered in another thread?
Old 06-23-2008, 03:13 PM
VictoryRoll
My Feedback: (2)

Fantastic question FlysEm !

Count me in on wanting same format. If/when the format is known, I will put my name in the hat for helping/entering into Excel.

Thanks for the idea.. it will definitely be a time saver, and possible error avoidance tool.

Don