Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

How long has your JR Backup battery lasted?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2003, 04:15 PM
mtcarey
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How long has your JR Backup battery lasted?

I have a JR PCM 10 purchased in 1989 backup battery is still OK

Also have the PCM 10 SX 1997 Backup battery still working.

Can you change that battery at home ?
Old 05-12-2003, 08:17 PM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The backup battery in my PCM 10 lasted 10 years. I bought the radio in '90 and sent the radio in for a check up in '00. At that time, I requested the battery be replaced only because it was 10 years old and I felt it just had to be close to the end of it's life. I'm not sure if it can be replaced at home because I've never had my radio apart. I can't imagine it would be that difficult.

John
Old 05-13-2003, 07:28 PM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Remember to use the Datasafe first, as your programming will go away
Old 05-13-2003, 09:27 PM
Crash_N_Burn

If you don't have a datasafe and you attempt to change your own memory battery, first bridge the battery holder + and - connectors with clip leads connected to the correct voltage and polarity of an outboard backup battery.

Then, remove the old battery and replace it. Remove the clip leads and you're done with the memory intact.

My JR's are only two years old, so in another three years I'll give it a try, but this is standard procedure for keeping memory while changing a memory backup battery.
Old 05-13-2003, 10:03 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

The original PCM 10 does not have datasafe capabilities. Also, wouldn't simply leaving the main battery in place while removing the "back up" battery retain your settings? I'm pretty sure this is why my battery lasted 10 years. I never allowed the main battery to completely drain. I just don't see a coin cell battery lasting for 10 years with any kind of drain placed on it.

Disclaimer. If you leave your primary battery in place while working inside your radio, be extremely careful about using any metal tools.

John
Old 05-13-2003, 10:56 PM
Crash_N_Burn

"Also, wouldn't simply leaving the main battery in place while removing the "back up" battery retain your settings?"

John...I think you're correct. Don't know why I didn't think of that except that back-up batteries are usually 1-3 volts, much lower than the actual transmit batteries, Guess that's why it floated over me...

So, in actuality, with your 10 year old memory battery, if the primary battery failed, memory would probably be gone, yes?

So just because your memory is still intact after such a long period doesn't prove the memory battery is still good.

Thanks for pointing that out. Makes sense to me.
Old 05-14-2003, 12:02 AM
Aero330LX
My Feedback: (-1)

I usually replace mine on the 4th year of checkup. I send in my radio gear every year to get it checked and tuned. On 4th time, I tell them to go ahead and replace the batt. They say the Li bkup batt's should go for 5 years. I suspect they will last much longer as has been stated, but while the radio is in for it's routine checkup it's not a long job to replace it, so I've always had them do it. Got alot of programming in there, and I wouldn't want to lose it! hehe
Old 05-14-2003, 01:25 PM
ml3456

I don't want to find out!
Old 05-14-2003, 01:30 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

Originally posted by Crash_N_Burn
So just because your memory is still intact after such a long period doesn't prove the memory battery is still good.
Good point Dave. I guess if I were to ever pull the back off of my radio and place a multi-meter on the battery, I would know whether or not it was still good.

Hmmmm

John
Old 05-15-2003, 02:39 PM
mtcarey
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I Swaped Main Battery

After swapping the main battery the memory was still intact.
10 yesr old PCM 10x
Old 05-15-2003, 04:57 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

Well there you go!

John
Old 05-15-2003, 11:03 PM
MO_Radio_Tech

The fact that the Lith keeps memory proves nothing. Voltage does not prove much either.

An old lithium may supply proper voltage, but lack the current needed.

I have seen several of these lithiums keep memory and have 3.20 V or more, but they were leaking acid on the board.

Recently I saw a 13 year old PCM 10 with white corrosion all over the board at the 3V lithium. The radio still had its memory. This board could not be repaired well enough to make it safe for flying. Luckily the flyer had another old PCM 10 he bought used (it had been dropped and was messed up.) We canniballized it for its board.

I don't reccomend 3V lithium battery replacement be performed accept by a radio shop, or better yet, the manufacturer. Too much to go very, very wrong. Horizon will probably only charge $25-50 at most depending on what else is going on inside. Money well spent.
Old 05-16-2003, 08:58 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

Guy's keeping the Radio battery in would do much when the radio is turn off the program (A/C's set-up) is always hold by the memory battery(sometime call back-up) the radio would have to ON during the soldering....I would not recommended this technique.....to anyone one slip and the radio will literally go up in smoke....

IF the memory battery fail during flight...you won't notice it until you turn the transmitter OFF and Back ON