Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Just want to make sure

Old 07-06-2008, 07:24 PM
Cambo
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just want to make sure

For the longest time i used an old futaba 4 channel with the antena, battery, and crystal taken out as a buddy box for my hitec optic 6. I am assuming that if i buy this
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...?ProdID=HAN173 i can still use the old 4 channel as a buddy box with my DX-7? Is this correct

Old 07-06-2008, 07:31 PM
Dorsal
My Feedback: (17)

Default RE: Just want to make sure

Well, that's what it says, and for $12 you could sell it to somebody if it won't work with yours for some mystical reason. Does your Futaba have the round connector on the back? Mine does, but if not, don't forget to order a round to micro plug adapter. http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...?ProdID=HAN174
If the question still plagues you, call Horizon Hobby - they're selling the cable.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:10 PM
BuschBarber

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a friend using a Hitec computer radio as a Buddy Box with his DX7, with the JR/Futaba Trainer cord. It works fine. The problem with using non computer radios as Buddy Boxes, for computer radios is many times not everything matches up properly.

I just ran across an instance today where a fellow modeler was using a Hitec computer radio with a Futaba Skysport 4 Buddy Box. No matter what the High or Low Rates were set on the Master, the Buddy Box had Mega Throws. I tried a Futaba Conquest Buddy Box and had the same results. Another problem was that even with the Buddy Box Throttle Trim at Max, if the person holding the Buddy Box happened to push the Throttle Stick all the way down, the Barrel on the carb would close. No changes in the ATV or Throttle Trim on the Master could solve the problem.

I have seen JR Quatro radios that would not work as Buddy Boxes with the same model Quatro radio.

Bottom line is when using a computer radio as a Master, be careful what you use as the Buddy Box.

By the way, whomever designed the DX7 should have never made the Trim levers, on either side of the antenna, as the Trainer Switch. It is very difficult to hold the Trainer Switch up and still keep control of the Throttle/Rudder when you are teaching someone to Land or Takeoff. It is a Dangerous spot for a Trainer Switch.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:47 PM
Cambo

thanks guys,
just wanted to make sure you could go 2.4 as master and old FM as slave. So far have had no problems going computer to non computer. I set my planes/helis up to be as close to a perfect mechanical setup as possible. Rarely use any significant ATV's and such

Cameron