Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New to 4 Channel transmitters, please help.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:52 PM
Red Hot Pearl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to 4 Channel transmitters, please help.

I've never used a 4 channel transmitter before only 3 channel so it's a bit daunting. As is, my Pitts bipe came like this: Throtte and rudder on the left stick, channels 2 and 4 respectively. The right stick is set up elevator and aileron, channels 3 and 1 respectively. I'm trying to switch the ailerons and rudders channels so both up and down and left and right movements are on the right stick. The manual, what I can understand says this can be done but when I switch the two things start going haywire. My question is how does everyone fly? Do you guys have the ailerons and throttle on the same stick? I would think this is harder to fly. It's going to have to take some getting used to I think on my part if that's the way it is. Also on my transmitter, there are 4 switches for the channels all saying up for reverse and down for normal. What do these do? My manual is mostly in chinese and it doesn't cover these switches.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:03 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts
Default RE: New to 4 Channel transmitters, please help.

Most people fly mode two which is the way its set up. The right stick simulates the stick in a full scale airplane by controlling elevator and aileron.

The left stick is the throttle and rudder pedals. There's a few other configurations but that is the most common. Mess with that and nobody will be able to help you.

The reverse switches are for the channels, if you give right rudder stick and the rudder moves left, you would reverse that channel.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:12 PM
sgillmore
My Feedback: (50)

Here's a page that explains the four different modes:
[link=http://www.rc-airplane-world.com/rc-transmitter-modes.html]http://www.rc-airplane-world.com/rc-transmitter-modes.html[/link]

Your TX is Mode 2 which is what just about everyone in the United States uses. From what I understand, Mode 1 is more common in Europe. If you live in the States, stick with Mode 2.

Just curious...how much R/C experience do you have? Your question leads to believe that you're relatively new to the hobby. If that's true, a Pitts bi-Plane (of any brand/size) is not the best choice to learn on. I would recommend that you be very comfortable with some type of 4-channel, aerobatic, low-wing plane before you attempt to fly the Pitts. Just my $.02. I just hate to see enthusiasm turn to disappointment. It can happen fast in this hobby.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:38 PM
Red Hot Pearl

The Pitts is my second plane. I've had the Supercub for a while now. It's what I learned on and I can say that I'm a very good pilot "at least with that plane". I'm kind of upgrading because I've grown a little tired with the Supercubs limitations as far as acrobatics. I appreciate your concern, I'm worried myself thats why I posted. I put her together last night and just had some clarifying before I took it up for the first time. I'll let you know how it goes. Needless to say if I crash and burn I will be upset but won't give up on the hobby.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:19 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These days, most people learn to fly on 4 channel aircraft and almost exclusively use Aileron and Elevator. They tend to forget that Rudder exists, except for taxiing. In the event that the Aileron fails, they may lose an aircraft because they forgot that they could use Rudder.

I have been flying RC since 1978, when I bought my first RC radio, a Futaba 6 channel. Even now, if I am helping someone takeoff a 3 channel bird, with Rudder on the Right, I tend to instinctively try to steer, on the ground, with the Left stick. I am so used to Rudder on the Left, that I do not have to think about it.

My point is, if you want to fly 3 channel, why not put the Rudder on the Left stick, as that is where it will be when you move to 4 channel. This way, everything is consistent and you do not have to think to react, your brain just executes the right movement.