Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

10X and spoilers - HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 08:54 AM
Dig it

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10X and spoilers - HELP!!

Hey there. I've been trying to get spoilers to work on my Nitro bobcat but I can't get my head around the programming. Is there anybody out there that could give me a step by step including slaving etc so I can get this up and running. I don't need it but I want to play with it on my nice inexpensive bobcat before I try it on other stuff.

Dale
Old 08-05-2008, 08:49 AM
Dig it

Default RE: 10X and spoilers - HELP!!

Nobody??????
Old 08-05-2008, 02:22 PM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well you did not give enough information....I have no idea what plane you are talking about. The only Bobcat I know of is the BVM jet.

First off what do you mean by spoilers? On a sail plane the model has spoilers that are actually separate control surfaces that have their own servos. So getting spoilers is as easy as moving the slider or switch that the servos are plugged into, for example Aux2

Do you mean you have dual aileron servos and you want to raise both ailerons up a little to act like spoilers? Now that is a different story.

If that is the case then it all depends on how you have programmed your dual aileron setup. Are you using the flapperon function? If yes then you want flapperons to come up....This can be done a couple different ways. First off you can set it up to dial these ailerons up with the use of the flap slider on the left side of the TX. Or you can use the Flap system and use the 3 position switch on the left-front (middle) switch positing that is marked as Flap. This switch can be configured in (code 66) to move the Flapperons (both ailerons ) up and then adjust in with some elevator trim to compensate for the trim change.

Then when you flip the switch the ailerons will move up (or down your choice) a set amount you choose, and the elevator will also change trim in the amount you choose to keep the model flying level.

Its hard to get answers when folks don't know what you want and answer too.

I hope this helps

Troy Newman
Team JR
Old 08-05-2008, 02:54 PM
Dig it

Its a Nitro models bobcat that looks exactly like a BVM bobcat (not that it would really matter)
Yes, I do have dual aileron servos and want to raise both ailerons up to act like spoilers.
I simply slaved the aileron channels together.
I would prefer to use the 3 position flap system switch if at all possible.

If you would like more info, please don't hesitate to suggest what that info may be. I don't proclaim to be a expert at this stuff, thats what I posted. If ya don't know, ya gotta ask, or you can't learn, so, lets give a guy a break eh.

Dale
Old 08-05-2008, 04:32 PM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well in order to make life easy you should be using the flapperon wing type.

This is setup in Code 17 Func. S. by turning off the flap slider on the left of the TX.
In Code 17. press "SEL" so the arrow points to the Flap:act line then press clear
This will make the line say Flap:INH

This turns off the slider so the flap control is turned off.

Next step is go to code 22. Wing Type

It will say Normal... Press select till it reads Flapperon. You now have flapperons programmed. This is the correct way to get two elevator servos working together.

Now go into your program mix where you have the 2nd aileron servo slaved to the aileron channel. Turn off this program mix.

Next step is to plug the Right aileron into the AIL channel on the RX, and the LEFT aileron servo into the Aux1 channel which is also the Flap channel.

Now your ailerons will work properly and you don't have a control to move the flaps because you turned off the slider. Turn on the model and verify servo directions. You can use servo reversing as needed to get the two servos working the proper direction. Now you have subtrims and each end point adjustment for each servo independently. Make sure both aileron servos are moving the proper deflection up and down.

Next step is to get the flap switch to move your flapperons up or down as you desire.

So go to Code 66 Flap S.

This menu gives you values to adjust the elevator and values for the Flaps.

So under Flap the MID is the switches middle position and LAND is the switches down labeled land position. Adjust the values for the flap in the land position to say Up 30 by pressing the "+" sign

Now turn on your model and flip the flap system switch in and out of the land mode. Your ailerons should both go up. If they don't then you need to reverse the direction on the value in code 66. Using the "-" to adjust the values below zero it will say D 30. If this is the proper direction on your servos then you are good.

Next step is to fly the model. Flip into the land mode with the plane up high and see if the model changes elevator trim....It should.

Make a note of the trim change in your mind. "It needs up trim with the ailerons up" So land the model and adjust the ELEV section in the land column to give yourself the right direct of elevator trim needed. Try small values say 5% at a time.

Then fly it and check the change you made. As you get closer you can dial in exactly the right amount of trim change needed so the model flies like you intend it to.

Note on this different speeds will require different elevator trim values. Since this is a landing condition the model should not fly perfectly level hands off at low power it should sink slightly like normal.

Then you are done.

You are using flapperons up, some call this Spoilerons, because they are not spoilers as the spoiler is a separate control surface. Its a aileron spoiler combo.

Of note you should not go wild with this setup and use large values. The more Spoiler deflection you use the less effective your ailerons will become. There are some special instances where with type of setup can help you...in 99% of the models out there you are not going to see a big difference and it could cause major issues with aileron effectiveness.

I hope this helps you

Troy Newman
Team JR
Old 08-05-2008, 05:13 PM
Dig it

Wow, thats an absolutely awesome writeup

Thanks very much

Dale
Old 08-05-2008, 05:54 PM
Mastertech
My Feedback: (31)

Actually that was very short for a Troy post. He is Mr. JR !!