Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Why Airtronics?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 09:42 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why Airtronics?

If you fly Airtronics, why? This question came up at the field today. The majority of radios in the impound at our fly-ins are usually Futaba or JR. So, if you are an Airtronics user, why did you pick your system over other brands?
Old 08-03-2008, 10:06 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Why Airtronics?

Well I was a Futaba guy until they really let me down big time. I had a FPGK 6 channel on channel 40. It was not if you would get hit but how many times per flight. It went into the service center 6 times to fix it. I was told it was fixed each time. The last time was to change to channel 16 to see if the hits would stop. Nope. Stopped fly Futaba after that. The service lost a customer. Now this is a long time ago so I am sure the service has to have improved.

I tried Hitec too. The Super 7 was anything but super. The old service center, when it was in El Cajon could not fix it. I have used Hitec's service in Poway and it was good. They did not try to play games and just handed me a new servo. So Hitec service has changed for the better.

I have abused Airtronics for a long time. They have not let me down. I remember one flight where I was getting lots of hits. I landed as fast I could. Plane snapped about 3 feet off the ground. Broken tail and torn covering. I pulled the wing to see what was going on. I had forgotten to put a strain relief on the antenna. The antenna broke about 3 inches from the Rx. I just soldered back and some shrink tube and it was back in action. I have only had to send in 1 radio to Airtronics, an older Vanguard 6 channel. I dropped it and it landed on the gimbals punching the throttle stick tho the back of the case. They charged me $20.00 to fix it. It took about 2 weeks way back when there was only snail mail.

I have (2) RD6000's, one has over 500 hours on it with the original battery and the other one has 460 hours on it. They have totally flawless. I was flying my helicopter when a guy took his off and was getting hit like crazy. Well he was on my channel. Channel 23. I never knew there was a problem. He almost lost his helicopter because of the hits. I am still flying a Radiant 6 channel from days gone by. I am on my 3rd lithium memory battery.

I now have a RDS8000 and waiting with baited breath for the 10 channel to come out. The price factor of Airtronics beats all other radios. Futaba spend some serious money on adds. I will take Airtronics over most anything else.

Now I am not saying that the other radios are not good. They are, I just prefer Artronics over them. They feel better in my hands, can handle some abuse, and still keep coming back for more.

My opinion only.

Dru.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:45 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Futaba and JR have the advantage of being widely distributed with Ready-to-Fly airplane packages. Ace Hobby used to bundle the VG400 radio system with their Tiger Trainer .60 Super Combo, but later switched to Hitec transmitters and now are producing their own 4-channel sport radio called the Sky Master. Putting your brand of radio in the hands of a brand new pilot certainly doesn't hurt business.

I have been a Futaba pilot since entering the hobby. I purchased a Nexstar Select RTF as my first glow plane and I still fly with the 4YBF sport radio that came bundled with it. I later purchased a Futaba buddy box and a Futaba 7CAF radio system. I've logged hundreds of flights on the 7C and I've been completely happy with all of my Futaba equipment.

I'm going with Airtronics for 2.4Ghz. I finally got to the spot earlier this year when my 10-model memory on my 7C was full and I had a couple of new projects to finish up. I didn't like the Spektrum DX6i or DX7; the DX6i isn't a bad radio but a couple of friends have had theirs break, while the lack of a throttle kill button on the DX7 would drive me nuts if I bought one. Futaba's 2.4Ghz lineup seems a bit weak with regard to transmitter features, and the receiver pricing seems way too expensive.

I really like the JR 9303 2.4Ghz radio, and the new Futaba 10C seems really attractive, but they're both more expensive than I was willing to pay. Feature for feature, the RDS8000 seemed like the best match for the features I wanted and the price I was willing to spend. Airtronics seems to be offering the most value for the money with regard to transmitter features, and the pricing for additional receivers is much more fair than what the other manufacturers seem to be offering.

I expect to be flying my Futaba 7C for some time, but my new glow-powered projects will be built using Airtronics 2.4Ghz receivers going forward. I was the first pilot in either of my local clubs to jump on the RDS8000 bandwagon, but now others are ordering them as well. Getting a second receiver free with your RDS8000 probably isn't hurting business.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:42 AM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Customer service, if you ever need it, is incredible. I had a some minor problems with my Stylus, (owner caused) and sent it in to get complete check-up. They serviced it, unscramble the programing, replaced the antenna, and memory battery, cleaned and tested it, for what thought was about 1/2 what it should have been. I have called and talked to Jack Albrecht about some complicated programing set-ups, and he has been a great help. Always has time to talk you through a problem. Once, about 5 years ago, I could not get a set-up programmed, and it turned out I had an "old version" of the program card. He sent me a new card at no cost, so I get the set-up I need.
I really like the way the Stylus is set-up. It has all the features that the newer radios have and has had them for at least 10 years.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:14 AM
jcccc

I swicthed to Airtronics early in my RC experience. I was hopping around with different brands when I started RC in the 80's. First I had a 6 channel gold Tower, then a Gold Futaba, then a World's Expert(big mistake) then a Futabe Attack. Back in those days you needed a TX for every plane so to cut a little cost I bought a Airtronics 4 channel that was $10 cheaper than the Futaba(tight budget back then). Plus Futaba changed their connectors. I liked the feel of the Airtronics better. I had worked up to owning 8 of the Airtronics TX. Also about the Futaba connector change, little did i know that Airtronis in the coming years would also change their connectors. ha ha.
I've since stopped using Airtronis and switched to a Tracker III and now only need the one TX instead of hauling 5 ot 6 to the field to fly.

I used to fly combat and I would set up each combat plane exactly the same so I only needed the one TX to fly all my combat planes.

jcccc
Old 08-04-2008, 11:46 AM
coupar

I'm a new Airtronics user - 2GHZ.

Up to now I've used Futaba and they worked well for me but I've never been happy with the day to day -how does this work Futaba? type support. A bit too short. I was impressed with the responses I saw on the Airtronics forums and how happy people were with the product. There seemed to be no unhappy Airtronics users. It looks like Global are listening to customers and passing recommendations on to manufacturing.

2GHZ is such a major change for the hobby. I got the impression Futaba did a staged release of the 2GHZ technology to maximize their revenue whereas the others, Airtronics in particular, are being aggressive in product features and pricing to get some market share. That approach I believe gets me more features in the product for a better price.

The RDS8000 I bought was a great deal (2 rxs). The transmitter is clean and simple to program. The 8 channel Rxs are small and light but I've tested the range and it is incredible. To get a similar Futaba product (with 7 channels instead of 8) would have been nearly double. I would have bought the 10C but at $600 that's just a little rich and its a 50% increase over the Futaba 9 channel series. I'm optimistic Airtronics will be more agressive price wise with their 10 channel. That's a gamble to some degree but Airtonics seem to want my business. I'm not sure Futaba cares.

I've nothing against JR or Spectrum but the Frequency hoping that Futaba and Airtronics use seems to be the best approach but I know that is debatable.

When you compare the various products there is a lot of subjectivity but price is easy to evaluate - Airtronics won me over!

Old 08-04-2008, 01:39 PM
RCGeckoman

They have a good product, excellent service and will do a lot more in the future. Sanwa ( Airtronics in Europe( has always had a good name

Old 08-04-2008, 05:18 PM
Planeclothes
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a RD6000 which I still use for small, electrics, etc. The only time it needed service was years ago when I dropped the tx face down and one of the gimbals disintegrated. It took about 2 weeks from the time I shipped it out to the time I got it back, and there was no charge since it was still under warranty. Once I started flying larger planes with dual elevator servos I purchased a Hitec Optic 6 with multichannel module which is, to my knowledge, the only 6 channel radio that supports dual elevator servos. It is a decent radio, but I found the 6000 a lot easier to program. Now with new 2.4 radios becoming more inexpensive I realized it's time to make the change and just ordered the new RDS8000 ($230 with 2 receivers at Hobby People, that's hard to beat!).
Old 08-04-2008, 05:18 PM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

A long time ago I bought my first Airtronics radio. It came in a green case and had rudimentary dual rates and Expo. I learned the advantages of Expo quickly with a twitchy .20 low wing plane. Switching on the Expo tamed it. I also had one of the first they made on FM. I'm probably the only one in my club that uses this brand. I had a couple of 4ch Vanguards that I flew for years. I still have a CS Championship set with no batteries. I had an RD6000 and sold it when I got an RD8000 that I still have, it's my only 72Mhz radio. I purchased an RDS8000 a couple of months ago and it will debut in my Great Planes Electrostik.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:03 PM
RCGeckoman

<GRIN> I AM the only one in our club..RD8000 and RDS8000 .. they all ryun the big 2 but for ease of programming and use..Airtronics has it

I am hoping that the new 10 channel will allow the switches to be programmed to any se but other than that, you cannot beat the RD or RDS for price./features!!
Old 08-04-2008, 06:04 PM
blkbird68
My Feedback: (19)

I started with an SR series back in the 80's and progressed to a VG, Infinity and Stylus. I even have a 7 channel single stick. And yes I still use all of them. I recently got a RD8000 just to have something on 2.4. I have to say, I do not like the RD at all. It is the only Airtronics radio that I think I will be getting rid of someday.

But back to the original question, I originally got my 4 channel SR because that was the cheapest radio the hobby shop had on the shelf at the time I bought my first kit. I had people telling me I should get a Futaba or a JR when I progressed beyond my SR. However, the same people that kept insisting that I would be better off with other brands of equipment were always having trouble with their radios. So I just stuck with Airtronics and I have never regretted it. I have had only one issue in over 20 years. And that was a minor issue that Airtronics fixed for free (on a radio that was over 5 yrs old and well out of warranty at the time.)
Old 08-05-2008, 01:36 PM
s3nfo
My Feedback: (14)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Airtronics programming has always been intuitive for me. Vision, Infinity and now Stylus have all been easily programmed without reading the manual. I've never been able to understand Futaba programming and have a 10X, but programming it means getting out the manual.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:46 PM
LokiDog

Can you use Futaba servos with an Airtronics receiver?
Old 08-05-2008, 05:15 PM
djlyon

sure
Old 08-05-2008, 09:05 PM
husker
My Feedback: (1)

I have been a Hi-Tec user for years and have had good luck and great service from their products. Since they do not have a 2.4 radio I went with Airtronics and only can say I am very pleased. Just received 2 more receivers today from tower so soon my fleet will be Airtronics powered.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:17 PM
Eplane65
My Feedback: (16)

Airtronics makes good quality, reliable systems. I've had 4 of them. Originally, I got back into R/C after a 20 year hiatus when a friend gave me a VG4 system. It worked well, but I wanted to expand. Then got a Radiant 6, a VG6000 and a RD6000. Never had a problem with any of them.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:52 PM
pumbadog

I started with Kraft, went to the Futaba Golds, got out of the hobby for a while and came back with a JR 6 channel. I really wanted to get into 2.4Ghz radios but I just couldn't see spending the price JR and Futaba wanted. I like the looks of Futaba better and if you go top of the line, with the color screen, they have every option except maybe an Mp3 player. I bought my RDS8000 because it had the channels I needed and functions I could use at a great price. Now with the add for a free receiver, it would have been nice to wait a while longer. There's really nothing I could say bad about my Airtronics. For the price, you can't beat it.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:17 PM
bigedmustafa

ORIGINAL: pumbadog

I like the looks of Futaba better and if you go top of the line, with the color screen, they have every option except maybe an Mp3 player.
Believe it or not, the 14MZ actually will play .mp3 files, display .jpg files, and even has a microphone for voice recording:

Compact Flash Card Data Storage & Transfer
Built-in 30-model memory, which can be expanded to 100 models
using the supplied Flash memory card. Upload digital images of
your aircraft for use as model names on the graphic menu. Create
and store audio files enabling you to fly to music or flight call
sequences.
The transmitter also includes a built-in mic for recording and
storing up to 24 voice prompts, such as "Landing gear down" and
"Full throttle!" These prompts can be assigned to specific
switches and functions so that audio confirmations of proper
stick movement are heard through the transmitter's speaker.

I found the RDS8000 to be adequate for my needs, and I also saved about $2060, which admittedly factored into my decision.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:41 PM
ChuckA

I gave up on JR over20 years ago because of their extremely bad service record. I sent one JR transmitter back three times while in warrenty but when it failed the same way after the warrenty expired, I was informed that repair was impossible because parts were not avialable. I quit Futaba in 1999 because I got tired or replacing the stupid fragile switches. I really liked the Airtronics Infinity but coud never get to like the lead porcuipines that replaced the Infinity. Fortunately Multiplex came to the rescue with the Evo with it's superior feel and balance combined with a logical programming language instead of the VCR style methods of the asian radios.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:44 PM
kwhite.6

Why Airtronics? Just do some reading like I did and you will see that everything else has to many problems. The others features are not as good and they cost more for the transmitter and more for extra receivers.The only thing it's missing is expo on the rudder, but after turning down the rudder and thumb travel, I realised you don't need expo! After using the RDS8000 a little i found out the programing is almost too simple and I was over thinking it too much. One day I was fueling my gasser and the hose popped off and sprayed gas on the transmitter. It melted the case and the stick holders so bad the sticks fell out. I sent a PM to Mike here on RCU and got an answer back the same day. I sent it in and got a phone call the day they got it with a estimate to repair or replace with a new one. The cost to repair was only 24 dollars but the price they give me on a new one with a receiver was to good to pass on, so I got the new one. That's what I call GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE ! This weak I was programing my heli and had to call and get some help. The guy answered the phone and told me what to do in about a minute. Like I said earlier, I was over thinking it. You can't go wrong with Airtronics!
Old 08-10-2008, 05:14 PM
sthill

I’m a new Airtronics user and a new 2.4Ghz user. I am a pretty typical flyer that tries to get out once or twice a week and fly my .46 size planes. A month ago I purchased a Pulse XT 40 and was forced with the choice to either buy a new 72Mhz receiver for my Futaba 6XA or buy a new 2.4Ghz radio. I picked the new radio and after extensive research and reading many forms I settled on the Airtronics RDS8000.

JR and Futaba are the incumbents in the radio market and are happy to incrementally make products better. Nothing wrong with this, but nothing terribly exciting either. In my opinion, the Airtronics RDS8000 is a real game changer! I was able to take advantage of the $229.00 delivered price from hobbypeople with 2 receivers included for an 8 channel radio! A 7 channel Futaba or JR with 2 receivers would be AT LEAST $100 more!

So, the price is great but I read a lot of forums and I have to say that, even though I never met him, Mike Greenshields from Airtronics sold me on the RDS8000. Mike is all of over the radio boards and provides tons of very useful information and it makes me feel great knowing he is around if have any questions.

I just maidened my Pulse XT40 today with my new Airtronics RDS8000 and I couldn’t be happier! It was rock solid and I really liked the large easy to read screen ON TOP of the transmitter. While I believe that the RDS8000 is a great transmitter for the money it would be nice if the case was a bit heaver, the sticks had the little pokey things at the end and if the battery was upgraded from the current 700mha to a 1200 or 1400mha. Those small critiques aside, I have a feeling that my old Futaba radio will be spending a lot more time in the transmitter case from now on!

Thanks Airtronics!
Old 09-05-2008, 02:48 PM
Shubova
My Feedback: (9)

Hi,
I'm looking some info on the RDS8000FHSS.
What is the range?
How does this frequency hopping (FHSS) work and does it effect the range?
Thanks,
Shubova
[8D]
Old 09-07-2008, 01:04 AM
RCAddiction
My Feedback: (87)

Why do you keep asking about the range? Unless perhaps you are planning to use the radio for something that Homeland Security might be interested in being made aware of?

It works just like the Futaba 2.4 FHSS. Frequency hopping has been around since the 1930's.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:14 AM
bigedmustafa

I believe a Spektrum owner told Shubova that frequency hopping shortens the effective range of the transmitter. It simply isn't true. A frequency hopping spread spectrum transmitter will have just as far of an effective range as a dual channel fixed system so long as the transmitter output power is the same.

Frequency hopping doesn't shorten or increase the effective range of the transmitter, it only makes it more robust in a "noisy" or "busy" 2.4Ghz environment.