Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Radio quirks

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2003, 01:57 AM
Quicker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio quirks

I have a Futaba 4 channel Conquest FM with a Tower Hobbies 7 channel receiver. Today I just lost a plane from a total loss of control. I was flying level from my right to left at about 50 feet and the tail started bobbing up and down and the plane stopped responding to input and continued the bobbing and flutter into the ground at full throttle. I've flown this plane almost a month with no problems.

Back at home I plugged everything back together in the twisted reck of a fuselage to check the radio, etc. All controls moved OK, but I noticed that with my fingers off the sticks, as I moved the TX around in circles the control surfaces would move very slightly. I was withing 2 feet of the RX, so I just thought I was overpowering it, so I stepped back about 15 feet, but my father-in-law was by the plane and he still said they moved a little, but not as much.

I did notice this was mainly when the tip of the antenna was pointed at the plane. I know the tip is almost dead with almost no signal comming out, so was this just from the plane moving in and out of the dead signal zone?

Is this all related to me losing my plane?

Thanks
Old 05-18-2003, 02:26 AM
tomd-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio quirks

I lost an airplane in similar circumstances but with a JR radio.
In my case I would just move the radio and the surfaces would move. The culprit was the antenna socket into which the antenna is fitted. In this radio, the socket was soldered unto a circuit board inside the radio. When I opened the radio, I found the soldered blob cracked. Therefore, when I moved the radio around, sometimes the antenna socket would make contact and at other times it would not.