Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Challenge #3

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 07:30 AM
RCPilot100
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Challenge #3

I am surprised that there is no discussion here about the Spektrum / JR print ad concerining Challenge #3.

What a brilliant in your face ad.

Heat up an AR9000 receiver to test the units tolerance to heat.

307 degrees F before it fails.

Yeah, I have heard it before, it doesn't get that hot, only an idiot would screw up, who would have a model with internal can silencing, ......

JR can hear about the issues Futaba has, devise a test, get the ok from marketing to do a print ad, and get it in the magazines - all which takes months to do.

Yet Futaba, who sent a sent a reciever to Japan for testing months ago, still has not come back with the results. Maybe they ought to outsource their testing to Spektrum.

In the meantime, all Futaba users should mentally know to check to forums here to learn what was never put in their radio's manual so they can install their receiver correctly and not have it quit working at about half the temperature of what the Spektrun / JR did. I did send my registration card in and register for the Futaba flyers club - I have not been notified by those avenues of communication - so for those of you that did not send in your card or register, you haven't missed anything.

I have a brand spanking new scratch built 105 inch Edge with DA 100 all set to go - I may take it out and maiden it today. I am still debating with myself if I should use the 12Z & 14 channel receiver to control it, or put some of my tried and true PPM receivers in it and use my 9Z. I guess I will next go to Weather.com and see how high it will get today an my field.

Dan

Old 08-10-2008, 08:12 AM
rcairflr
My Feedback: (44)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Challenge #3

Just be patient, in a couple months it will be nice and cold up there in Michigan, then it will be safe to fly your Futaba.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:35 AM
RCPilot100

rcairflr -

Thanks. I never thought of that. I wonder if there is a Futaba advisory somewhere on the internet I don't know about that relates safe reliable use of your Futaba gear to the region you live it, sort of like garders know what to plant given where they live. Plant a hot weather plant in a cold region and it dies. Use your Futaba new and improved stuff at the wrong time of year and your plane dies. Love it.

Dan
Old 08-10-2008, 02:43 PM
Four Stroker

The probability of a Spektrum receiver operating at 307F is about the same as your winning the lottery. The chip they use is rated at 70C = 158F.
Old 08-10-2008, 04:26 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yet Futaba, who sent a sent a reciever to Japan for testing months ago, still has not come back with the results. Maybe they ought to outsource their testing to Spektrum.
Futaba already knows what to do about the problem and IMO really does not need to
test anything, They are proberly looking for a new chip to replace the ones that fail
from heat but proberly dont want to use what is already avaiable because of cost.

Just my .02
Old 08-10-2008, 04:51 PM
RCPilot100

Ira d,

Futaba is a giant in the electronics business - they know exactly what they have - and their lawyers are telling them exactly what to say and do. They didn't need to test anything sent from the US - they know what they have - and have a giant product litigation group advising them. I am surprised that some people actually expected Futaba to come out and say they have an issue. You have to realize that it is much cheaper to deny you have an issue than own up to it and fix it - especially once you have sold a bunch of product.

Spektrum / JR also know exaclty what they are doing - that is why I enjoyed their newest Challenge #3 ad - they know the position that Fuataba is in and are having some fun at their Futaba's expense. I love it.

Dan
Old 08-10-2008, 11:33 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We both said the same thing and you are 100% correct.