Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Speed controller differences, car & boat?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 04:31 PM
Hoverglide

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed controller differences, car & boat?

Hi All,

Sorry if I have posted in the wrong forum, but I am trying to find out the differences between car & boat speed controllers.

Basically, I want to build a model hovercraft using 2x Graupner 600 brushed motors. I have been searching everywhere for a suitable speed controller that can cope with the approx 70A stalled current of these motors, & I have found that the Ripmax Xtra Quantum & Seismic type speed controllers seem ideal & reasonable in price. However, the boat (Quantum) version does not indicate having any reverse, & I wondered if I could use their same spec car version (Seismic) that has a forward/neutral & brake/reverse on it?

It may be of further help that the car spec says Brake, ABS/Prop.

If anyone can help then I would be most grateful, & thanks for your time.

Ian.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:31 PM
Silent-AV8R

Default RE: Speed controller differences, car & boat?

Most ESCs used for boats are usually water cooled. This is done by the addition of cooling tubes attached to the boards that water is routed through to cool it.

They may, or may not, have reverse. This feature is not used in many electric boats unless they are scale.

The bottom line difference is a boat ESC is water cooled, and they need it since there is essentially zero air flow inside a sealed up electric boat.

Take a look at the Castle Creations Hydra series. They go from 60 to 240 amp versions and are water cooled.

Schulze also makes some great ESCs with cooling and since you are in the EU they may be cheaper than they are for us over here.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:24 AM
Hoverglide

Default RE: Speed controller differences, car & boat?

Hi Silent,

Many thanks for the reply, that is a big help.

I thought it best to look into the prices of everything first, before trying to build a model hovercraft, & it is quite a job trying to find matching components.

Thanks again.

Ian.