Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spektrum DSP75 Servo Chatter

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 10:10 AM
FlyBoyKB
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektrum DSP75 Servo Chatter

Has anyone seen, or better solved, the problem of servo chatter with the Spektrum DSP75 digital servos? I have them mounted in my new Pluma indoor/outdoor foam bipe and they chatter wildly around center. Nothing I've tried seems to help eg 6100 vs 6200 receiver, separate BEC, Hacker vs Castle ESC. Any ideas? The only thing that seems to "calm" the jitters is actually putting a bind ion the servo-to-control-surface rod. Thanks, KB
Old 09-07-2008, 08:28 PM
cap10b

Default RE: Spektrum DSP75 Servo Chatter

FlyboyKB,
I just maidened my Tribute FX with DSP75 servos programed for AC and the elevator and rudder servos chatter like crazy. I think its the receiver. The Castle Creations ESC does not like GWS receivers so I may change over to my Corona 620. Maybe not though since you said you already tried swaping stuff and it didnt make any difference. Yes I noticed when you touch the servo arm or bind the arm as you call it the chatter goes away. That tells me the servo is looking for a load.
Flying is smooth and nothing is noticable, I did some slow low flybys looking at the control surfaces and they look rock solid. No chatter in the air. I will live with it till I either crash the plane or one of the servos fail, hopefully after a fight at not during. However I will not be purchasing any more of these servos for future projects. Im going back to the DS285 digitals with all metal gears. Expensive but they don't chatter and they are rebuildable.

Hope all goes well with your servos.

Johnny
Old 09-08-2008, 10:48 AM
FlyBoyKB
My Feedback: (1)

Cap10b - Update: I sent the servos back to Horizon for "repair" with a long explanation of the problem and steps taken to find a solution. They sent me new ones under warranty with the assurance these were set for 'airplane mode' (the lowest gain). I haven't had occasion to try these as I replaced the ones on my Pluma with Eflite S75's (analog servos) and they are solid as can be. Not much real help with the problem with the DSP75's.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:30 PM
cap10b

Flyboy,
Well maybe not up front , but your explanation suggest I need to check the programing, I thought I checked all the servos and let them run on a cycler for a while but maybe I missed one. I will reprogram them as for replacing them the Tribute FX has you Glue the servos in. no way to dig them out without destroying the plane.

Ah well experience is the best teacher, I ll never do this again for sure.

jds

Old 09-14-2008, 08:49 PM
cap10b

Flyboz,
Some guys on the Tribute FX thread bragged about how the plane flew in 20mph wind, will after Hurricane Ike passed us by just had to get some stick time. Took the Tribute FX out and plugged my 1800 Mah Li-po in, walked past the peanut gallery and heard all the cat calls and poo pahs over the servos chattering, and I mean they were chattering so hard I could barely hang onto the plane. Well make a long story short as soon as I walked out into the wind they instantly stoped. Flew two good long flights and when I walked back to the pits a sat the plane down on my table out of the wind the servos began to chatter again. Weird !!
The Tribute guys were right, flew in 15-25 mph wind and it blew so hard I had to make harrier landings. (which wasnt hard this plane is stupid simple to fly just the plane I need)

jds

Old 01-13-2009, 04:27 PM
ScottZ

I just bought 12 of these DSP75 servos for my DW Yak and Juka and another Foamy. One is running through a Jeti 18 ESC, the other is running through an Electrifly 25 ESC. All of them are using the Spektrum 6100 and all of them jitter at differnet times. Does anyone have an explanation for this? Next time out I am going to try to get the antennas away from the sevo wires to see if that does anything.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:23 PM
onewasp

As those are programmable servos they 'may' have told you everything you needed to know.

Note: Key Features

* Servo reversing
* Three-point programming
* Deadband programming
* High-speed input
* 3 servo modes