Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spektrum DX6i binding problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 07:42 PM
vzuelke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektrum DX6i binding problem

I just upgraded my old radio to the DX6i and found after opening the box that I needed a reciever switch. I have never used one of these in any of my electric planes, I just connect the lipo battery in my plane and have had no problems. The switch is just one more thing to connect, add weight and take up space in the model. Is it really necessary? Is there another way to "bind" the reciever to the transmitter? I noticed an auxilary connection on the reciever. Can I use the binding plug there?

vzuelke
Old 08-20-2008, 09:13 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Spektrum DX6i binding problem

If you are not using a Switch Harness, you can always put a Y harness on the Battery Port of the Rx. Connect the Battery to one side and connect the Bind Plug to the other side, when Binding.

I had to use that method when I set up a plane that required a Voltage Regulator between the Switch Harness and the Rx. I could not Bind through the Switch Harness Charge Jack due to the Voltage Regulator. I used a Y harness and did the Binding through the other side of the Y.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:44 PM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

I had the same situation with a Mini Pulse. I put the binding plug into the battery port, plugged in the LiPo flight battery, took the TX, held down the bind button and turned it on. The bind took place and I removed the plug from the RX. I had a perfect bind. This was with a DX7, though.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:50 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK - here is the BIND -or PAIRING procedure for your DX6i
The object is to establish working relationship of TX/RX which recognizes ONLY that particular rx when a particular model is called up - This is the MODEL MATCH feature.
Further - it also establishes the positions of all the servos IF signal is lost to the RX when the rx is operational.
BIND (pairing) PROCEDURE

1 insert binding plug in batt port of rx . Be sure to watch for correct pin positions of all servo plugs in rx.
plug power to rx - either add the motor plug -from your ESC ( motor speed controller BEC)-OR - but never at the same time - a

2 add battery power to any other servo port
SPECIAL NOTE:
NEVER use ESC (motor speed controller) powered BEC and a seperate battery at the same time - the conflicting power can ruin the rx and perhaps burn up wiring.
Whe the power is connected to the rx- the rx will flash quite rapidly
Now the BIND (pairing) with the TX, can be setup.

3 Set TX throttle stick to full LOW (off) position
center all other sticks and note retract switch position as bind will later establish position of retracts when power is aplied to rx.

4. now pull the trainer switch /binding switch forward (the tx display will note this is happening) and turn on TX power
the RX flashing will now stop- but in a few seconds, the RX light(s) will lightup solidly -
At this time RX and TX are BOUND (paired).

5.remove the bind jumper.

BIND TEST PROCEDURE
fully assemble model and remove propeller from motor for safety reasons.
Turn on TX
Plug in ESC (motor speed controller) to battery or add rx power.
in a few seconds the ESC will chirp it's little tune and the control surfaces will lock ON. The motor will turn as the throttlestick is advanced
If the retracts cycle incorrectly - change position of retract switch and REBIND as noted above .
Re inspect for all servo directions relative to TX movement and center all surfaces and trims
One more do the BIND procedure
Thus step is important to assure that trims in flight and the default ( IF radio signal is interrupted) are all correct

FLYING THE DX6i
At the flying field the prop can remain on the model as long as it is positively established that the speed control isworking properly.
SPECIAL NOTE
Never move the TX binding toggle (trainer switch)with power ON the TX unless the RX is also ON and operating .
This may cancel the present bind and require re binding.
When tx and rx are operating together - this switch is used for range testing. and in flight it will reduce range of output signal.
The RX will not come "unbound" - all on it's own. If this condition occurs, it is most likely the trainer/bind toggle was operated before the RX was fully operational.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:24 PM
jmir
My Feedback: (1)

I connected the binding plug on the battery input on the RX, connected the ESC to the Throttle input. It worked this way.

The first time I did it, I had the plugs reversed and, of course, it would not bind. Just make sure the brown wire is on the outside of the RX.