Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Servo failure help please

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 12:06 PM
Tcat1000
My Feedback: (34)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo failure help please

Hi All............Just finished a few months ago a Profile Extreme 540 & set everything up as far as throws Etc. Took it to the field last night for the virgin voyage & upon double checking the throws before even starting the engine...............the two servos mounted at the rear (elevator & rudder) did not work properly. They worked fine when setting up while building.

They are brand new Futaba 3010 high torque servos. When moving the sticks, they only move a tiny bit & very very slow. I can stop the movement by placing my finger against the servo arm. They have no power! Both of them on the same plane.

Here is what I did............
Changed receivers...........no change...They still don't work.......Not receiver
Replaced both servos with two more 3010 servos in original receiver in plane & works fine..........
The TX is now currently flying four planes (Futaba 6EXA)

Hooked servos to my servo checker & they don't work properly with tester either. OK it's the servos................

My question is................It baffles me to what has happened.............Don't seem likely that two would fail at the same time, on the same plane. Also both were brand new.

both aileron servos as well as the throttle servo work fine in plane

Is there something else that would cause these to fail besides just being unlucky?

RX.....1650 Nickle Metal Hydride & had 5.57 volts at the time
TX....STD Futaba 600 mah & had 10.9 volts at the time (flys three other birds fine)

Sorry it's so long, but don't want to destroy two more servos if something else caused this issue other than the servos themselves..............

Tcat 1000
[email protected]

Old 08-21-2008, 08:23 PM
Texastbird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Servo failure help please

This is from out of left field, but is there any chance you got some CA on them and it is binding up the gears or pots?
Old 08-21-2008, 09:31 PM
Tcat1000

No CA or anything like that. I took one of them apart looking for any corrosion or anything else. There was a small amount of some very light in color white substance on the circuit board that I cleaned off with comtact cleaner & toothbrush. I'm going to take the other one apart & look also. I am wondering about maybe some moisture getting in somehow. The plane is hanging nose up in my garage & a couple of times last winter there was a light dusting of snow that had collected on the plane that came in from a strong North wind. I don't think that would be a problem though as they seem to be sealed quite well. It's not like I dipped them in a pail of water.................Maybe possible though.................Something happened to these servos while hanging in the garage & just don't know what............Thanks for the comeback.........
Tcat1000
Old 08-21-2008, 10:06 PM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The power draw might be higher than the switch wiring, any extensions, or the battery can deliver. Nickel metal batteries can some times be overdrawn from needed current. Might check the TX programming just incase; you might have more than one problem.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:53 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the Rx battery pack a 4cell or 5cell pack? 5.57v seems OK for a 4.8v, 4cell pack.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:23 AM
mimhoff
My Feedback: (3)

A couple more questions-

What size are cells in your Rx pack (AAA. AA. 2/3A, Sub C etc)?

Is the 5.57 volts with a load or just taken with a volt meter?

Have you pluged the servos into another channel on the receiver to see if they work there? (Never mind you already swapped out receivers)

Could the linkage be binding ?

Have you tried the servos with the servo horns removed?

Are you using extensions? Have you tried changing these out?

Have you hooked the battery to the receiver directly - bypassing the switch?

Just a few questions/ideas.

If I were to guess I would say servo extensions or switch, battery or binding in that order.

Hope you get it sorted out...

Mark

Old 08-22-2008, 06:52 AM
Tcat1000

Hey guys, thanks for all of the comebacks.....

First of all, I have removed the servos & connected them one at a time to my servo tester & NEITHER one of them work properly. They both barely move like they have no power at all. (completely seperate from the plane)

My RX battery is a Hobbico Hydrimax 1650 NIMH, four cell AA

I have two extensions from RX up front to the rear feeding the two servos.

Two new 3010 servos work fine when plugged into same place as the two that don't work. (of course the original ones worked OK when setting up throws...............Hmmmmm

With original servos pluggeg in & not working.......the two ail & throttle servos work just fine (plugged directly into receiver)

Again....these two servos don't work outside of the plane. (not connected to linkage or anything)

I don't have a problem putting two more 3010 servos in the plane, but if something has caused this other than the servos themselves, I don't want to end up with four ruined new 3010's......Drats

Thanks again

Tcat
Old 08-22-2008, 01:39 PM
Flyfalcons

Just take them back or send them in for warranty replacement. Having two fail out of the box is of course extremely rare but it can happen.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:26 PM
Tcat1000

Yupper Ryan............That's what I plan on doing, but I just want to make sure there isn't an outside cause that did them in. I don't want to smoke two more expensive servos! Especially just after takeoff. If it would have been just one, I wouldn't think a thing about it, but two new ones on the same plane at the same time...............well you know.

The other thing that bothers me is the fact that they worked fine when setting the throws & now they don't.

I guess I will put in two more new servos & kiss an ugly Frog for luck before taking off! (It's a Michigan thing)

Tcat
Old 08-23-2008, 04:40 PM
Flyfalcons

There are several reasons why the servos failed early in their lives but the good thing is you experienced that before sending the plane into the air. I have had one servo die shortly after plugging it in for the first time and couldn't think of a reason within my control that caused it to fail. Fortunately once you get passed the lemon-testing phase, RC electronics have very long lives when not abused.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:42 PM
LSF2298
My Feedback: (4)

Is it possible they got frozen during the winter?
Old 08-24-2008, 06:45 AM
Tcat1000

Hi all........I finished last evening installing two brand new Futaba 3010 servos replacing the 3010 ones that somehow failed & everything is working fine. (at least for now) Why those two servos went South on the same plane at the same time just baffles me though. I have several planes with those exact servos in them & have never had a failure, but as some of you have stated..........it can happen. After installing the new ones, I worked the living CRA* out of them & all seems fine. I'll send them back & see what they find.

Ok, I'll take my new bird to the field, start her up, taxi out, close my eyes, firewall it & hope for the best!

Thanks everyone

Tcat