Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

JR 2.4 ghz Module

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 12:24 PM
rc_heli_flier
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR 2.4 ghz Module

All,
Does anyone know if the 2.4 module that comes with this transmitter:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=JRP1210

Is it available to be purchased by itself? That is exactly what I'm looking for for my 9303.

Thanks.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:38 PM
ss40

Default RE: JR 2.4 ghz Module

http://searchrc.horizonhobby.com/ind...d=11BF0A614C32
Old 08-23-2008, 01:56 PM
rc_heli_flier

Thanks, but that not what I'm looking for. I want one like this but got a message that this one is only available for the 12 channel:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...RP1210&Index=1

I just hate having the wire coming out the back of the ones you can buy.
Old 08-23-2008, 05:17 PM
slarty

The one that is "in" the 12X is not compatible with any other JR set except the 12X. On the Horizon system it is permanently fitted (even though it is modular).

The 12X interface uses 2 x 14 pin connectors top and bottom of the module housing. The standard JR connector only uses a single 5 pin connector mounted vertically in the housing.
Old 08-23-2008, 05:28 PM
rc_heli_flier

Thanks guys, but I know that particular one is only compatible with the 12x system. I was hoping they had something similar for the 9303 that doesn't have that stupid wire coming out the back of it.

By the way, the one in that version of the 12x I linked to the module is not permanently fitted - it's the 12X 72/2.4 system where the modules are interchangeable so you can have 2.4 but still also have 72 for your older rx's.
Old 08-23-2008, 05:32 PM
slarty

Sorry, yes you are correct.... I had forgotten that you now have both versions available now. ( It is the same gubbings in use but just not removable by the user... )
Old 08-23-2008, 08:46 PM
GJr.
My Feedback: (3)

There is a thread somewhere that shows how to modify the installation to run the antenna up through the case. It repositions the coax connector inside the module and shows how to route the cable, as well as how to mount the 2.4 antenna in the normal place. There were several photos included.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:52 PM
GBR2
My Feedback: (1)

Doing the modification essentially makes the Spektrum module permanent and defeats the purpose of having a modular system. I've asked Spektrum if the form/factor module in the 12X MV would become available for the current modular systems and their answer was NO. They aren't interested in doing it. Would be nice if JR could do it but who knows what business agreements are currently in place. From an engineering standpoint I can't imagine that it would be hard to do. I guess only time will tell.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:55 PM
slarty

JR are not allowed to manufacture modules UNLESS they are specifically for their home market (ie the DSMJ Frequency Hopping Module).

I have been told that this will not be offered outside the far east, it will not be getting FCC or CE accreditation.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:21 PM
GBR2
My Feedback: (1)

This is from an email from Spektrum:

"This has been discussed at great length within our company
and at this time there are no plans to make a modification like that to
this version of the modules. That may change as the Spektrum technology
advances and new versions are released, but that will not happen for
quite some time. I like you agree that the wire hanging out like that is
not a very good method, but at the time of development it was the best
solution for the engineers and manufactures. Stay in touch and have a
great day."

I guess Spektrum doesn't have much in the way of mechanical engineers or designers if a wire hanging out the back was the best they could come up with.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:01 AM
rc_heli_flier

ORIGINAL: GBR2

This is from an email from Spektrum:

"This has been discussed at great length within our company
and at this time there are no plans to make a modification like that to
this version of the modules. That may change as the Spektrum technology
advances and new versions are released, but that will not happen for
quite some time. I like you agree that the wire hanging out like that is
not a very good method, but at the time of development it was the best
solution for the engineers and manufactures. Stay in touch and have a
great day."

I guess Spektrum doesn't have much in the way of mechanical engineers or designers if a wire hanging out the back was the best they could come up with.
Thank you!! That's my point completely - who wants that stupid wire coming out the back that going to eventually get ripped out somehow. And then not only to have to unscrew the original antenna, you then have to put in that cheesy antenna adapter, snap on the 2.4 antenna, pull out the 72 mhz module, insert the 2.4 module, connect the wire, yada yada, when all you'd have to do is swap modules, about a 10 second job.
Seems that they put little or no thought into it, or perhaps they did thinking no one would want that crappy set-up and force us into buying new transmitters if we want to go to 2.4.
Well, since when I do make the switch to 2.4 I'll need al new rx's anyway I just might think about switiching to Futaba since JR really doesn't seem to care about what we think.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:29 AM
lou1947

I agree with what you are saying,howeveI have had my 9303 with hte 2.4 module for about a year and it has performed flawlessly. The wire in the back used to bother me but I got used to it. My only gripe is that it does have not the model match feature. I guess that they did not add this feature so they could separate it from the x9303 and to put a carrot on 9303 owners to buy the x9303 2.4 rather than the module.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:02 AM
pilotpete2

Hi Lou,
Not a way to make you upgrade to the new model, but impossible to implement with the older transmitter[&o]
Model match is a feature of the transmitter, the original XP9303 was designed before 2.4Ghz and model match were on the drawing board.
An existing XP9303 only can provide the 9 channels of PPM to the module, just as it did to the conventional module.
Having the Spektrum module for Futaba, I have to agree, the antenna arrangement to, put it politely, is a kludge job. I also have the Futaba TM-8 module, the integrated antenna is so superior it ain't funny, it's outa the way, provides a better support for the transmitter when lying on its back, better than it is with the conventional module, as it supports the transmitter at a higher angle than the handle did originally, the handle is now about an inch off the bench when you are working on a setup, and the antenna is almost completely hidden. If I could put the guts of the Futaba/Spektrum module in a futaba module case, I'd do it in a heartbeat
Pete