Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

INFO NEEDED GOOD SERVOS

Old 09-08-2008, 12:58 PM
coindex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default INFO NEEDED GOOD SERVOS

I am trying to find a fairly decent price servo more likely a JR servo with metal gears or a servo that will not break down.
I used airtronics 94102 servos on my last two planes and I seem to have trouble with the nylon gears stripping on me thus creating crashes. I would like to buy something that will hopefully not strip and last if I am going to build again.
Any suggestions???
Old 09-08-2008, 01:00 PM
rcairflr
My Feedback: (44)

Default RE: INFO NEEDED GOOD SERVOS

More info is needed, what size and model of airplanes and how are you going to fly them. Basic IMAC, Advanced IMAC .sport flying, 3D?

First of all I prefer Hitec servos, since you are still using nylon gear servos I'm going to assume you are flying glow airplanes 1.20 size or smaller. So with this in mind, my first suggestion would be the Hitec HS-645, good servo with metal gears and plenty of power for any glow size airplane 1.20 size or smaller. You can find them for about $35 each

If you want even more power the Hitec Digital HS-5645, more power and more money, about $48 each.

If you are getting into giant scale airplanes I would recommend the Hitec HS-5985 or HS-7955 $73 and $95 respectively
Old 09-08-2008, 01:12 PM
coindex

I am building another extra300, so sport flying, and I also plan on building a corsair in the future(60 size for both planes)
Also plan on building a 40 size cessna for my 40os engine
Old 09-08-2008, 01:55 PM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look at the HS 475HB(Hitec). I've used these for a number of years with good luck. They have "Karbonite" gears(whatever that is-sounds like from Superman). Probably better than standard plastic gears, maybe not as good as metal gears-don't know. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDEM1&P=ML
Old 09-08-2008, 02:13 PM
rcairflr

The karbonite gears are very brittle, as long as you don't accidentally give your surface a good bump, they should be OK. If metal gears is what you want, the HS-645 is the one.

I would think for the most part your nylon geared servos should work fine on those small airplanes.

$34 each if you buy a set of 4 from Donalds Hobbies

http://www.donalds-hobby.com/prod/sc...dproduct=42617
Old 09-08-2008, 03:19 PM
XJet
Banned

Karbonite *is* brittle and therefore it's no substitute for metal.

Hitec make good servos but the HS645 is very slow and the centering is only so-so.

I'm currently putting the final touches on the biggest servo shoot-out review ever published so you might want to wait for that to appear at RCModelReviews.com

There are *plenty* of better options than the Hitec HS645 that offer more power, more speed, better accuracy and lower pricing it'll be worth checking out the alternatives.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:11 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would address the cause first: why are you stripping so many servos? I would guess most people strip servo gears because of a crash (especially in sport planes), not the other way around.

Kurt
Old 09-08-2008, 04:19 PM
rcairflr

ORIGINAL: XJet

Hitec make good servos but the HS645 is very slow and the centering is only so-so.

I'm currently putting the final touches on the biggest servo shoot-out review ever published so you might want to wait for that to appear at RCModelReviews.com

There are *plenty* of better options than the Hitec HS645 that offer more power, more speed, better accuracy and lower pricing it'll be worth checking out the alternatives.

I'm curious, better power, better price than HS-645 with meal gears? Give us a clue, and please don't give us any of the Chinese servos that are leaving a wake of wreckage as they burn up.

Old 09-08-2008, 04:42 PM
rcairflr

ORIGINAL: XJet

When you are done with this review will all of us have access to it, or will we have to buy a magazine. If your shootout is thorough and you post actual tested torque/speed/centering it should be very interesting.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:29 PM
XJet
Banned

ORIGINAL: rcairflr
When you are done with this review will all of us have access to it, or will we have to buy a magazine. If your shootout is thorough and you post actual tested torque/speed/centering it should be very interesting.
It'll be freely available on the RCModelReviews.com website.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:35 PM
XJet
Banned

ORIGINAL: rcairflr
I'm curious, better power, better price than HS-645 with meal gears? Give us a clue, and please don't give us any of the Chinese servos that are leaving a wake of wreckage as they burn up.
I know there are some *awful* servos coming out of China right now but there are also some very good ones, and don't forget Taiwan.

Here's a servo that lots of folks around here are using with great success. They're cheap, reliable and plenty strong for a .60-.90 sized model.

Scanner SSV-9766 servo

There was also a 9.7Kg/cm version that lots of folks have been using in 50cc gasers here but they don't seem to be available any more.

The Savox servos are also performing very well in my tests - but I don't know of any dealers/distributors in the USA yet.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:48 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts

ORIGINAL: coindex

I am trying to find a fairly decent price servo more likely a JR servo with metal gears or a servo that will not break down.
I used airtronics 94102 servos on my last two planes and I seem to have trouble with the nylon gears stripping on me thus creating crashes. I would like to buy something that will hopefully not strip and last if I am going to build again.
Any suggestions???
Well you've already got some comments about finding the cause of all your stripped gears, so I won't address that question...

If you are set on a JR metal gear servo, these are pretty tough to beat on price and performance although they're way overkill for your application.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=JSP20071
Old 09-10-2008, 11:14 AM
coindex

Here is what happened. My first plane (trainer) flew well just under a year with my airtronics 94102 servos, I was diving went to bank up and my elevator didn't seem to have enough throw to pull out of my bank so my trainer crashed.
My extra 300 was flying well, had all rates on low rate, did a couple rudder turns from climbing, leveled out flying away from me, went to turn left using aielerons with up rudder but my plane just seemed to dive with my cockpit towards me. It was like I was getting no up elevator at all and my speed was plenty to pull a decent turn. It crashed obviously, and was unsalvagable. When I gathered the parts one servo was stripped, I couldn't say if it was from before while I was up in the air or a result from the crash. Both planes seem to crash the same way while my extra 300 should of had enough throw on the elevator to easily pull out of an easy turn or even make this turn. This is why I think it may of been the servo malfunction, if not I do not know what is happening. I have been flying for two years now and never had this problem before.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:16 AM
coindex

note to add, I did not have any mixing capabilities on at this time of flight other then my flap system which was in the correct position, neutral.