Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

dx7 or x2720 stick mode

Old 09-09-2008, 09:07 AM
russzero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dx7 or x2720 stick mode

hi. hope ive got this post in the right place. been going round and round for the last 20mins.
i did find a post about x2720 mode1 to mode2 .. but it seems locked out.
my question is to upgrade or not upgrade ???

at the moment im enjoying using my X2610 ... (uk version ) and because i fly MODE3 ... Aileron - Elevator Lh Stick ... its hard to
get a trannie off-the shelf. i was incredibly lucky when the guy at the shop said .. "oh yeah .. no problem .. this X2610 will go into ANY of the 4 modes at a press of a button!" ... i was impressed too.

theres nowt wrong with the x2610 .. but u know how it is ... some spare cash in the pocket ... wanting to buy something.
i was considering the X2720 because theres no need for Xtals .. but then i read the DX7 review & apart from having 2xradios to fit in
the plane ... it does look very interesting.

So whats it to be? has there been any mods to either of these 2 trannies? does it require the trannie to be sent back to JR for the nesc mods? or can it be done my me?

ok ... thanks for any infos. Russ s.london uk.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:18 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: dx7 or x2720 stick mode

The DX7 is very nice, for a 7 channel, and it gets you on 2.4, if you are not already there, I am not familiar with the 2620 (I live in New York State - US). I have been monitoring many RCU posts regarding radios. I seem to remember a thread about Mode1, 2, 3, 4 conversion on the DX7.

On issue is the Ratchet on the Throttle stick. Airplanes flyers like it but Heli flyers do not.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:46 AM
carrellh

I am also a Mode 3 user. I have Futaba because all of their computer radios can be changed to any stick mode by the end user.

I sent an email about this to Horizon support several months ago (when they were having the 2 for 1 receiver deal). The reply was that it cannot be done by the end user. The person who replied also noted that any request for a mode change should CLEARLY state what functions you want to have on each stick. Apparently they've had confusion in the past of exactly what modes 3 and 4 are and the work had to be redone.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:56 PM
russzero

thanks for the replies. this "mode" thing is a pain. u think these days it would be a pushover for the makers to sort it.
as i said .. the x2610 .. like your Futaba is easy to change thru the menu. ive been flying for nearly 30yrs using Sanwa. the last one was the 660 which lasted me ages. that was re-programed in no time!

2yrs ago i came up against this when i bought a NEW sanwa RD8000 in mode1. the repair centre had the radio for ages & finally said it couldnt be done. so i went for JR. now im back where i started !! holy-s-!

i think our uk version of the xp7202 is x2720 .. more or less the same thing.

and by the way .. the 1st thing i did when i got the new trannie was to remover the ratchet & flatten out the crimp in the middle. i also prefer a smooth feel ... even though i fly aero mainly.

i did read on this site that maybee its an idea not to rush in to 2.4G ... i may go with that idea .. ha ha. well im stuck on 35M for now.

ok thanks all ... russ

ps. check out my latest video >> .. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2MEKO4jjgc
oh and to prove that your not even safe behind trees check this one out >>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBKoWtvkHno
ha ha.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:07 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just looking at the difference in some Programming features between similar Futaba and JR radios, you wonder why the designers decided to leave out key features on one Mfg's radio and put them in on the other Mfg's radio.

Was it Intentional or was it an Oversight. Do they have Beta versions, like Computer Software Mfg's do, so they can put the radio in the hands of people who actually use the radios, and get Feedback as to what works Good and what is Missing. When you read some of the Manuals included with the radios, it makes you start to wonder if anyone had read the manual that uses the radio.

I think Flaps on a Switch is a great idea, but while one Mfg makes it the Default, the other Mfg makes almost impossible to do, on a similar radio. Go figure!!!
Old 09-09-2008, 01:48 PM
russzero

sounds about right. like cars .. even people .. u can always find something good and bad. still .. the search goes on.
( i remember a film a bit like this once! .. wait a min .. im in it! ) i wonder how its gonna turn out?
Old 09-09-2008, 02:24 PM
slarty

Russ,

JR systems sold in the UK typically have full user stick mode change. The upper end sets are usually set in 1 fixed mode only, this is because they introduce the analogue throttle trim as standard on those. Horizon get JR to manufacture most of their home market sets with analogue trim as standard. Once this happens then it becomes fixed stick mode and can only be changed at service centre level.

JR did vary slightly with the 2720 (aka 7202) and had the stick mode functionality embedded in the firmware depending where you are. ie for the USA the firmware decides whether the set is Mode 1 or Mode 2. If you want it changed, then new firmware is loaded. On the UK systems it has both mode 1 and mode 2 embedded.