Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

JR buddy box cut out and I lost my model!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 06:33 PM
maddingo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR buddy box cut out and I lost my model!!!

Hey guys,

My first post so hang in there.

Got my P-51 PTS out to the field and my instructors were working out the trim on my main radio and then they started working things out on the buddy box the JR S400. Performance was good and then after about 1 minute on the S400 buddy box the plain failed to respond and thundered in nose first from way up there.

Any ideas what happened. Batteries were good to go in all radios and receiver. It was the planes second flight.

Thanks for any ideas.

Best.

Dave
Old 09-13-2008, 06:47 PM
*JCB*
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: JR buddy box cut out and I lost my model!!!

what happened to the master box? Whoever was holding that should have recovered the plane!!

You could have run into a couple of problems with the buddy box, like the cord not being plugged in and seated properly, or the person holding the master radio let go of the trainer button (??)
Old 09-13-2008, 06:58 PM
maddingo

The instructor did try to recover with the master radio but the aircraft still did not respond. I know the cable was firmly inside both radios. I dont think thats the problem at all here
Old 09-13-2008, 07:56 PM
Mr. Mugen

Sorry to hear about your plane. It could have been a number of things that aren't related to your trainer box or radio. The rx battery, switch, connectors, could have failed. Did you go through the plane afterwards and inspect all the connections (if possible)?
Old 09-13-2008, 08:56 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you say you were using the same model radio for the Master and Slave? I have been training students for many years, at our flying field. Every Tuesday, all summer long, we meet and train students. Our club has two trainer planes with JR and Futaba transmitters and JR and Futaba Buddy Boxes. I have experienced many problems with Buddy Box incompatibility and I have seen some interesting combinations of, for example, a Spektrum DX7 and a Hitec buddy box, using the H9 JR to Futaba Trainer Cord.

I have seen two JR Quatro Tx's, the same model, and they did not work together as Master and Slave. Non-Computer Tx's do not work well as Buddy Boxes for Computer radios. For example, the Buddy Box only has High Rates, even though the Master is set to Low Rates. Trims do not match up, etc. I have seen Trainer Cords that come loose from the Master or Slave. The other day, a guy came out with a Futaba to JR cord. He may have taken it off his Flight Sim, I do not know, but the sticks on the JR Buddy Box moved the wrong channels on the plane because JR uses Thro, Ail, Elev, Rud, and Futaba uses Ail, Elev, Rud, Thro.

Be careful and check the Master and Slavve before flying.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:59 PM
maddingo

Thanks for the input on that last replys but all was functional. Remember that the slave was flying the plane for some time.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:09 AM
Mr. Mugen

was the master a 72mhz or other?
Old 09-14-2008, 08:09 AM
maddingo

It was a 72 MHZ
Old 09-14-2008, 08:25 AM
carrellh

It's too late now, but, someone should have tried pulling the trainer cord out of the master transmitter.

That way, if it was a problem with the cord or the slave, both would be eliminated from the equation.

Would anyone think to do that at the time? Probably not. It is easy to think of these things from the comfort of a chair.

I'd send EVERYTHING in for a checkup. It will cost, but you need to know if there is an equipment problem. If you send the stuff in, you and your instructor need to sit down together and write a detailed description of what happened and all of the things he tried while the plane was going down.

both transmitters
trainer cord
receiver
servos
servo extensions, if any
battery
switch harness

If you don't have the equipment checked out you have to ASSUME you were hit by random interference or that someone turned on another transmitter and shot you down.