Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

JR X9303 Trim Following

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 06:56 PM
HoseA
My Feedback: (33)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR X9303 Trim Following

I have a problem that I know the solution is probably simple, but so far it has eluded my attempts to solve it. I have programmed my X9303 with Wing Type "Flaperon". Aileron and Aux1 track fine and both respond to trim properly. The problem is with my elevator and rudder. I have one servo driving each elevator half, ELEV and AUX4. Both master and slave respond to stick commands properly, but the AUX4 slave channel does not respond to trim. The master responds to trim, but the slave does not move. The same problem exists on rudder, RUD and AUX3, except the servos are arranged in a "push-pull" fashion with short push rods. All servos are located in the tail of the plane.

The elevator problem is more of a nuisance than anything except up or down trim induces a yaw/roll due to asymetrical forces. The rudder is another problem. Trying to trim the rudder causes one servo to fight the other, resulting in no trim at all and high current drain.

I have tried all six programmable mix options and none seem to make any difference.

Since the JR/Spektrum Radio Manufacturer's Direct Support forum has been shut down I appealed to Product Support at Horizon Hobby, but they tell me it will be five days before they can address my question. I'm at my witt's end and wondered if anyone reading this has encountered the same problem and arrived at a solution.

Thanks,

Joe
Old 09-23-2008, 07:52 PM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: JR X9303 Trim Following

This is by no means a smart a reply. I have the X9303 and do not consider myself an expert by anymeans. But have you followed the manual from the very first page of airplane setup and worked your way to page A-14(wing type)? On that page and the following page or two the manual gives guidance for dual servos to one control(elev, rud). Also, you might look at the closed JR support forum(above). I remember this question being addressed more than once. I don't have a dual servo per control plane so I can't directly help you. But perhaps starting at page A-1 and working your way to A-15 or 16 you might solve your problem.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:41 PM
rcairflr
My Feedback: (44)

R/H elevator should go in standard Elevator channel and L/H Elevator will normally go in Aux 2... Below is from the Manual, you probably did not INH the channels as dictated below.

Dual Channels – (Wing Type)
The XP9303 provides the ability to designate an additional channel to be used in conjunction with Ailerons, Elevators, Rudder and Flaps. This is a useful feature when the aircraft has split elevators and/or a large rudder where more than one channel/servo is used for a primary flight control. When a channel is designated as a "Mate" to one of the primary channels, the transmitter performs all of the mixing required for the additional channel to track along with the primary channel – including trims.
Mate
The Mate line is used to identify additional channels for the primary flight controls. The additional channel(s) must have been set to INH (Inhibit) in the Devic.sel function before it is eligible to be used as a Mate in a Dual channel configuration (see Devic.SEL above).
To assign a 2nd channel to Ailerons, Elevator, Rudder or Flaps, highlight and select INH under the desired channel on the Mate line of the Wing TYPE display and a list of available channels is displayed. Select the desired channel from the list and plug the 2nd servo into this channel.
Note: Channels/Switches must be inhibited (INH) in the Devic. SEL function before they will appear in the list as an option to be used as a Dual channel.
Note: If FLAPERON has been selected as the Wing TYPE, then a Dual channel/Mate cannot be specified for ailerons because a second channel (Ch.6) is already being used for ailerons.
JR XP9303
Old 09-23-2008, 08:45 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

I have two XP9303 Tx's which have essentially the same programming. When you want to run a Dual Servo setup for the Elevator halves, for example, you want to Mate the Elevator channel with the channel you other Elevator servo is connected to. It sounds like you were using a Programmable Mixer instead of the Mate function. Mate is located on the Wing Type screen. When you navigate to the Mate row, under the channel you wish to Mate with, you will be presented with a list of available channels to Mate with(A14 of the XP9303 manual). The Trims for the Elevator, for example, will work for the Mated channel, as well.

I you navigate to the Mate row and the channel you want to Mate with does not appear, you have to go to the Device Select screen and Disable the assigned switch for that channel.

I have my H9 P47-150 set up with an AR9000 Rx. I mate Aileron with Aux2, Elevator with Aux3, and then I use a Pmix to mix Gear with Aux4 (for the Retracts, so I can use the Slow down the Servo function to make one gear come up before the other). Rudder and Throttle are on their own channels. I am using a Matchbox to mix Elevator Halves and also to mix Flap halves.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:10 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

In Flaperon mode, only the AIL and AUX1 have the "trim" from the aileron stick fed to both channels. When you use the "Mate" function in the Dual Elevator mode, whatever channel you've selected as your "2nd Elevator" will ALSO track with elevator trim.

NO other channels, or mixes, permit the trim to master through the mixes, so your multiple servo Rudder setup will only have trim lever changes move the RUDDER servo, and the AUX 3 will have to be "sub-trimmed".

There is absolutely no question about this.... the "trims" do *not* follow the master>slave setups in ANY mixes except the dual aileron in Flaperon mode, and the Dual Elevator using the "mate" function.

This lack of feature is well documented, and frustrates anyone wanting to setup a biplane with four independent aileron servos, as only two can ever have aileron "trim" changes move them.

Sad, but true. If you "need" trim mastering to flow through any mixes, you must use the 10X or the 12X.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:54 PM
HoseA

I think maybe I have it whipped. The key was to inhibit all the switches then go to the wing type setup. This made all the channels available. Now my ailerons, elevators and rudder, all three, are tracking the trim. Master and slave. I then re-activated my gear switch which I use for the choke servo and set AUX4 to the Mix switch and use it for my ignition cut-off. All appears to be as it should be.

It is indeed sad that this radio has to be set up this way. I have had a couple of 10X's and feel the programming for them was head and sholders over the 9103. The additional cost to add these features into the 9103 software would have been minimal and would have saved a lot of people, including me, a lot of frustration.

My thanks to all of you guys for the help. That's what it's all about.

Cheers,

Joe
(Hose A)
Old 09-24-2008, 05:54 AM
Bob Pastorello

Sounds good for you, Joe.
Would you share with us how you got the rudder trim change to flow through the mix you are using for the second rudder servo?
Old 09-24-2008, 01:03 PM
AWorrest
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I picked up this tip on FG forum posted by bodywerks. After you mate the elevator to AUX2 in the Wing TYPE menu, go to PROG.Mix1 (or 2) and make the master channel ELEV and the slave channel AILV. These are your two elevator channels. If the two elevator servos and setup geometries are identical, the output curve on PROG.Mix1 would be a horizontal line with the value of zero. If they aren't, you have seven points to match the elevator halves. I've only tried this on the MONITOR but it looks like it should work.

Allan
Old 09-24-2008, 01:41 PM
HoseA

ORIGINAL: Bob Pastorello

Sounds good for you, Joe.
Would you share with us how you got the rudder trim change to flow through the mix you are using for the second rudder servo?
Bob, I didn't do anything special that I know of. All I did was set all switches on the System Select menu to INH. Then I went to Wing Type and set the wing to Flaperon. This, of course, freezes AUX1. I then mated the Elevator to AUX2 and the Rudder to AUX3. Then I returned to the System Select menu and activated the gear switch (channel 5) for my choke servo and set AUX4 to operate with the Mix switch for my ignition cut-off. All P-mixes are inhibited.

I haven't tried it on the plane, yet, but the MONITOR shows all three flight controls to have trim function on both master and slave. I have no doubt that since this appears on the MONITOR that it will also work on the plane. I will know tonight after I get home from work and pray I don't have to eat those words.

Allan has suggested setting ELEV and Aux2 as master and slave on P-mix 1 to correct any mismatch in servo tracking and I think that is an excellent idea. I intend to try that if my servos do not track identical.

Joe
Old 09-24-2008, 06:31 PM
Bob Pastorello

This is great info.... Alan and I have exchanged notes about this before, and ALL of the JR techies say "It can't be made to work", so I'm all "in" on this mixing attempt.
I will be very interested in the results you gain.
Keep us posted, please!

I love great threads where we're learning new stuff.
Cool!
Old 09-24-2008, 06:56 PM
HoseA

I just fired up my radio on my SU-31 and tried my mixing attempts. Believe it or not ... it worked perfectly! I have full trim control on all three flight surfaces ... aileron, elevator and rudder. Servo tracking was perfect throughout the 100% travel range. I am satisfied. No one told me it couldn't be done, so I did it. Not from skill and knowledge, but pure blind luck.

I hope this helps someone out there. All our efforts were well worth it if it helps just one person.

Hose A
(Joe)
Old 09-25-2008, 06:50 AM
airbusdrvr

HoseA, When you have time, could you put in one post what you did. I was reading the all the above posts and am not sure exactly what you did in the final setup.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:56 AM
HoseA

ORIGINAL: airbusdrvr

HoseA, When you have time, could you put in one post what you did. I was reading the all the above posts and am not sure exactly what you did in the final setup.
1. Opened System Select menu and inhibited all switches.

2. Opened Wing Type menu and selected "Flaperon"

3. Selected "Mate" for Elevator and used "AUX2"

3. Selected "Mate" for Rudder and used "AUX3"

4. Opened System Select menu again and activated "GEAR" and "AUX4"

5. Selected the MIX switch to operate AUX4 and Gear switch to operate GEAR. Could have used any available switch.

6. None of the P-Mix options are active, however they are available.

7. Checked servo movement and trim response on MONITOR

8. Checked servo mevement and trim response on aircraft.

9. I don't know if this is the "JR Approved" method for doing this, but it works for me.

Hose A
Old 09-25-2008, 08:09 AM
Bob Pastorello

That is an awesome procedure, Joe, and I am going to try and beta it for a quad-aileron biplane setup....thanks for posting the steps.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:53 AM
HoseA

Good luck, Bob. I hope it works for you and my application was not just a fluke.

Joe