Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Corona 2.4g system

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 08:14 AM
togatoga
My Feedback: (42)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corona 2.4g system

Just got myself 2 sets of 2.4 G module/ rx from HC. The receivers have a single antenna instead of 2 and looks like they've removed the connector for the second antenna.Has anyone tried out the system on their nitro planes and any problems encountered especially range. Haven't range tested mine as yet but will be fitting them in my phoenix rainbow for trials soon.
Corona says that they see no advantage in having 2 antennas for their receiver.Strange.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:48 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Default RE: Corona 2.4g system

Check with XJET he has the whole story on the system. It locks in to one "channel" and will not hop if there is interference. Good for fomies, I wouldn't use it on a expensive plane. Dennis
Old 10-02-2008, 09:23 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

XJet's receiver came with two antennas:

I can't provide a direct link to the RC Model Reviews website at http://www.rcmodelreviews.com but hopefully it won't be too hard to find.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:24 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Wow, it posted! Whodda thunk?
Old 10-02-2008, 09:38 AM
togatoga

I don't think he's tested the system as yet as he received a faulty unit. The new units come with a single antenna for the receivers. i understand that they left the connector for the second antenna in the pcb, now in the latest version, they've removed that as well.
System came with a 5dbi antenna. Its kinda long. I have a 4dbi unit handy and much shorter. Can I use that and will range be reduced as a result?
Old 10-02-2008, 03:13 PM
XJet
Banned

I'm still testing the Corona system the first one I got was DOA and Corona admitted there was a problem with the first batch.

Right now I'm setting up the gear to do a spectral analysis of the system so as to determine if it does indeed FH and if so, how much of the band it uses.

It's worth noting that the new receivers do have just one antenna and therefore I would expect issues in respect to multi-pathing, shadowing, cross-polarization and null-point alignment.

Others have also reported some issues with certain transmitters.

A full review is imminent.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:53 PM
togatoga

Xjet, that'll be great. I'm planning on using a 4dbi antenna which is the same length as futaba instead of the supplied 5dbi antenna which seems kinda long. Will range be really affected.I understand from another site that with higher gain antennas, horizontal range is increased at the expense of sky range which is what we need for our planes, is that right?

I also understand that the system hops thru' 3 channels and is able to support 76 planes in the air.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:01 AM
Julez

On RCG someone found out that one antenna of the pair has no influence on reception whatsoever.
It seems they soldered on a fake one to fool the customers.
Old 10-05-2008, 02:48 PM
XJet
Banned

ORIGINAL: Julez

On RCG someone found out that one antenna of the pair has no influence on reception whatsoever.
It seems they soldered on a fake one to fool the customers.
I think the official line was that it was there to provide bi-directional communications in an earlier version but is now no longer required.

However, you can't help but feel a little skeptical of that when they also include the word "FAST" on the receiver label.

Sorry guys, the speed of light is the same for everyone, whether you're Corona, Futaba or JR. I mean, they weren't trying to make people think FAST = FASST were they? :-)