Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

SOMEONE HELP*** Changing crystal in Rx. What seperates high/low Band

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

SOMEONE HELP*** Changing crystal in Rx. What seperates high/low Band

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2003, 09:17 PM
djhighrise
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SOMEONE HELP*** Changing crystal in Rx. What seperates high/low Band

I just got another rx and the crystal is on #25. The Rx has a sticker that says #36. It works but, will it glitch or drift or will I be OK. Please help me b4 I crash.
Old 05-25-2003, 10:19 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This all depends on what brand Rx you have Futaba is the only one now who center tunes their Rx's to the lower half or upper half of the band all the others center tune for the entire band. the separation point is Ch 35.

Soooo if you are talking of a Futaba Rx and you want to change from Ch 25 to 36 then don,t do it and yes it can cause problems. This has nothing to do with legalities but rather functionality and is another 'Gotcha' from Futaba.

If your Rx is JR (except older ones, they used to do the same thing) Airtronnics or Hitec then you are good to go.

John
Old 05-25-2003, 10:27 PM
djhighrise

Ok. Thanks. I guess I wont be flying my F-16 tomorrow. The rx is on 36 and futaba crystal is on 25. Ill use my other tx thats on 50. What kind of problems might occur by using the futaba 25 crystal on the fuataba 36 rx?????
Old 05-25-2003, 11:09 PM
JohnBuckner

DJ
Its a little hard to follow you if you don,t state exactly what brands you are talking about.

Never use a crystal of another brand in a Rx. i.e. always use a Futaba crystal in a Futaba Rx.

If it is a Futaba rx (only applies to Futaba Rx's) that was originally below CH 35 then never put a Futaba crystal in it that is above Ch 35 and vice versa.

John
Old 05-26-2003, 01:46 AM
djhighrise

Hold on. Now your telling me that I cant change reciever crystals at all. I was told that you cant change TX crystals. Rx crystals are ok if you dont cross that band line. Everyone is telling me different. THE QUESTION IS CAN I USE A #25 CRYSTAL IN A RX THAT ORGINALLY CALLED FOR A #36 CRYSTAL. ALSO CAN I USE A #25 CRYSTAL IN A RX THAT CALLED FOR A #16 Everything I use will be futaba
Old 05-26-2003, 02:10 AM
Lynx

RX crystals can't cause 'spurious emissions' you can stick a frog in there if you wanted to and the FCC couldn't do anything =)

With high/low band RX's the only problem you'll run into is decreased range. Just do a good range check before you fly it, if the range check passes okay just fly it carefully through your normal range of flight (PPM mode only) and you should be all set. And that's the paranoid way, there's no reason it should cause a significant problem unless you're in a high traffic area. If you're concerned, just have the RX re-tuned for center at the channel you want for 20 bucks.
Old 05-26-2003, 02:26 AM
JohnBuckner

[QUOTE]Originally posted by djhighrise
[B]Hold on. Now your telling me that I cant change reciever crystals at all. I was told that you cant change TX crystals. Rx crystals are ok if you dont cross that band line. QUOTE]

I said nothing of the kind, read the post agine.

1. No, you cannot us a #25 crystal in a Rx that originally had a #36 without retuning.

2. Yes, you can use a #25 in a Rx that originally had a #16.

Item #1 and #2 above are Futaba recomendations not law.

John

Lynx I like your idea of sticking a frog in.
Old 05-26-2003, 03:32 AM
djhighrise

Sorry about that man. Didnt mean it like that. I just want to fly my F-16 and Ive already buried the rx inside it. Its the one with the #25 crystal set for a #36. Ill range check and see what happens. If it acts funny then Ill get it retuned. Thanks Everyone.