Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Avionics for UAV: GPS telemetry and Video capture

Old 10-24-2008, 10:55 PM
byakutsuki

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Avionics for UAV: GPS telemetry and Video capture

This seems like an awesome site with a lot of good information. Thanks to anyone who can answer my questions.

I'm looking for suggestions on equipment for a small scale uav. What do you guys recommend for GPS telemetry, RX/TX and also able to do wireless video ?
Old 10-25-2008, 12:03 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Avionics for UAV: GPS telemetry and Video capture

I know this type of technology is very interesting, however, be aware that Homeland Security is very much interested in private parties employing such technology. It may have an impact on our ability to fly our RC planes and helis.

Members of our RC club have been told, in so many words, not to encourage AMA members to use technology that flies RC aircraft without specifically being controlled by a pilot. in sight of the aircraft. Using a GPS for gathering Telemetry is OK, but using a GPS to Fly the aircraft is not.

I cannot say for sure the AMA has openly said not to use it, but at least check with AMA before investing too much.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:39 AM
byakutsuki

Control via micropilot
Old 10-25-2008, 10:21 PM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

EagleTree has a telemetry system including GPS. here's their web site: http://www.eagletreesystems.com/

I have one of their systems and it works very well. (I don't have the GPS option)
Old 10-26-2008, 01:34 AM
Campgems

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We share our field with Cal Poly's Aerospace college. We get some interesting aircraft out there. I missed this one, but the guys were full GPS controlled. They programed in the azmith of the runway and a few Linger spots. Fired up the plane and punched to go button. The plane took off on its own, flew it's pattern around the linger spots, then returned to the field, making a low pass over the field in both directions to determine wind speed and direction. It then chose the up wind approach and landed and taxied back to the launch point and shut down. No intervention at all.

The AMA probably better get a grip on this type flying and figure out how to handle it like they did with turbines. It's here on the market now. Not as good as the preditor drone stuff, but good enough to take off and fly for 15 minutes then land back on the same runway. I've had trouble doing that at times.

I think that the FAA has some problems with it, espically around airports. A couple years back, the San Diego Sherifs had a bit of trouble with the FAA over their UAV. I suspect that if you kept to the same altutides that we fly RC and follow the same restrictons for the 400ft ceiling near airports, there wouldn't be a problem. A cross country hop may be a different story though.

Don