Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

I don’t like my 2.4 GHz radio.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 04:38 PM
Pashka_22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I don’t like my 2.4 GHz radio.

First of all, I have got bad receiver. They have decided to safe money on my antenna wire. Mine antenna is way too short.
Second, I can find a plug-in place for 2.4GHz crystal. I looked all over the place, where do you guys plug it in?
And, by the way, do I need to buy crystal with the same channel as on my old 72MHz radio? I want to keep compatibility with my previous radios.
Also, I almost broke my transmitter when I tried to extend the antenna. It is still way too short. I am scared and not flying like that. I definitely need some help.
I think I am going to returned it and get my old fashion, trusty 72MHz radio. I don’t understand what all that hype around 2.4GHz technology is about!
Old 10-29-2008, 04:44 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: I don’t like my 2.4 GHz radio.

lol, thats funny. Does it feel cheap too?
Old 10-29-2008, 04:46 PM
bentgear

Thanks, I needed that today.

Ed M.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:14 PM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pashka 22, the name seems different, but you certainly sound like a guy in my club.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:03 PM
Ed

ORIGINAL: Pashka_22

First of all, I have got bad receiver. They have decided to safe money on my antenna wire. Mine antenna is way too short.
Second, I can find a plug-in place for 2.4GHz crystal. I looked all over the place, where do you guys plug it in?
And, by the way, do I need to buy crystal with the same channel as on my old 72MHz radio? I want to keep compatibility with my previous radios.
Also, I almost broke my transmitter when I tried to extend the antenna. It is still way too short. I am scared and not flying like that. I definitely need some help.
I think I am going to returned it and get my old fashion, trusty 72MHz radio. I don’t understand what all that hype around 2.4GHz technology is about!
Yoo iz from Louisiana huh ? Dat xsplains it ! []
Old 10-29-2008, 06:12 PM
tkilwein

Deleted, unsure of joke attempt.

Received email below,

you can also visit: www.fd-rc.com ,and will be find the manual of the RX,including the2.4G radio system,and also you can contact with me if you like
Old 10-29-2008, 07:55 PM
emilyhumeiling

2.4G Radio system

Receiver and Transmitter Setup Instructions
By following these steps you will ensure your transmitter and receiver are properly setup and ready to fly.
1. Turn the transmitter on and adjust your transmitter to PPM mode (not PCM), and then turn the transmitter off.
2. Press and hold down the programming button on the transmitting module, then turn the transmitter on. The LED on the module will flash between red and yellow indicating the transmitter is ready to bind with a receiver.
3. Press and hold down the button on the receiver and connect the receiver to the battery. The LED on the receiver will flash red twice indicating the receiver is in binding mode. Within a few seconds the receiver LED will flash rapidly for a moment indicating that it has successfully bound to the transmitter module and both are now communicating on the same channels. Turn off the transmitter and receiver now.
Note: If the receiver did not flash rapidly then binding was not successful. Check that the transmitter module is flashing Red/Green, and then restart the receiver binding by removing the receiver battery for a few seconds and then reapplying with the button pressed on it again. Binding is best done without any servos connected but this is normally not necessary.
4. Check the normal system operation. Turn the transmitter on, when the module LED is yellow then connect the receiver to the battery. The red LED on the receiver will be fully ON, indicating the receiver is operating properly. Receiver LED will be OFF when there is no signal. The receiver will not initialize. This is also a best practice for RC model safety. After following these steps to program your transmitter and receiver, both modules will continue to operate together each time you use the modules without further binding. If there is a need to reprogram your modules (adding another receiver) please follow these steps above again.

Regards!
Emily
msn:[email protected]
Old 10-29-2008, 08:08 PM
Pashka_22

First, I live in Louisiana, but English is not my first language. So, please, excuse my not so perfect English.
Second, Emily, are you kidding, right?
For the rest of you, my Louisiana club is on a slow side. We still don’t have 2.4 GHz pins, so here is another reason not to use 2.4GHz radios.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:36 PM
bentgear

Always remember Pashka, suck the heads and eat the tails. Mud bugs that is.

Caught my 2.4 and my phone behind the couch the other day, hope I don't wind up with a bunch of little blue tooth devices with sticks coming out the sides.

Ed M.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:41 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

did they also short you on the antenna wire off the receiver?
Old 10-30-2008, 01:59 AM
crazy8s
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: Pashka_22

Hey Pashka,

As long as you don't understand it then you don't need it. Send it back. By the way, what brand is it? I need some of those 2.4 crystals that they apparently sent you with the radio so I can plug them into my 72 mhz receivers to convert the rest of my planes. Don't feel bad about your club, most of the guys at my club finally had to trash their 2.4 Ghz systems when we realized that none of the manufacturers offered the 2.4 frequency board pins that we needed for the 2.4 Ghz crystals.

Have a nice day.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:01 AM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

The toughest thing is making pins for all of the possible frequency combinations, and then getting them distributed. It's hard enough trying to figure out which frequency a Spektrum unit has decided to use, but what with all that frequency hoping that Futaba does we just can't keep up. It's ruined our frequency control system and it is only a matter of time until someone takes the wrong pin.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:06 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

I know what you're saying Mike!

Recently at our club we have banned all Futaba radios because of their constant hopping [>:]

ORIGINAL: MikeL

The toughest thing is making pins for all of the possible frequency combinations, and then getting them distributed. It's hard enough trying to figure out which frequency a Spektrum unit has decided to use, but what with all that frequency hoping that Futaba does we just can't keep up. It's ruined our frequency control system and it is only a matter of time until someone takes the wrong pin.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:44 AM
soul

Not sure if this is a joke, but here are some clarifications -

1) 2.4Ghz requires much shorter antenna, than 72MHz. In most cases it is an advantage and not disadvantage.
2) You cannot convert 72Mhz radio to 2.4Ghz just by changing crystals. The radio itself is different, hence you will not see any place for crystals.
3) You have to buy compatible receivers for your radio (and vice versa). If radio is Spektrum, then spektrum receivers.
4) The radio antenna is always short for 2.4Ghz, just 4-6 inches and for receiver around 2 inches. No need to extend, it will work fine.
5) 2.4Ghz doest require frequency pins, as the technology is spread spektrum which automatically finds free channel and locks into it when you power-on. Thats the biggest advantage of 2.4Ghz over 72Mhz. Futaba and Spektrum uses different approaches to spread spektrum, but both work great.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:03 AM
altavillan
My Feedback: (1)

Cleared it right up! I think you n' Emily have a chance if you are single. oh and thanks!
Old 10-31-2008, 10:48 AM
conexn

ORIGINAL: soul

1) 2.4Ghz requires much shorter antenna, than 72MHz. In most cases it is an advantage and not disadvantage.
2) You cannot convert 72Mhz radio to 2.4Ghz just by changing crystals. The radio itself is different, hence you will not see any place for crystals.
3) You have to buy compatible receivers for your radio (and vice versa). If radio is Spektrum, then spektrum receivers.
4) The radio antenna is always short for 2.4Ghz, just 4-6 inches and for receiver around 2 inches. No need to extend, it will work fine.
5) 2.4Ghz doest require frequency pins, as the technology is spread spektrum which automatically finds free channel and locks into it when you power-on. Thats the biggest advantage of 2.4Ghz over 72Mhz. Futaba and Spektrum uses different approaches to spread spektrum, but both work great.
Yes dude, they are joking... Although these days with all the drop outs from school you never really know...lol
Old 10-31-2008, 01:06 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

5) 2.4Ghz doest require frequency pins, as the technology is spread spektrum which automatically finds free channel and locks into it when you power-on.
To be fair, 72mhz doesn't require use of frequency pins, either. A person can just communicate with their fellow fliers or use a frequency flag. Now that 2.4ghz is here, we tried it without the pins. The JR guys had to use a frequency scanner each time they flew to so they could let people know which two frequencies they were on, and the Futaba guys had to have a caller with them that regularly shouted out the frequency hopping. That just got too crazy, so we're back to the pins. Our frequency board has had to quadruple in physical size and we've had to make the letters and number so darn tiny.
Old 10-31-2008, 03:08 PM
ss40

I recently added 38 inches to my antennas and they look good now. I don't know why my models are crashing though. Help?
Old 10-31-2008, 03:42 PM
altavillan
My Feedback: (1)

Untill I read this thread my short antena's length wasn't bothering me.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:21 AM
Bcolici

This is some funny s#!t
Old 11-01-2008, 11:25 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

I think you have been had.
BTW do you play poker?
Old 11-01-2008, 01:05 PM
onewasp

{Quote}

I think you have been had.
BTW do you play poker?

(in reply to soul)

{Quote}

Well, at least not more than one hand.

By then he's got no more cash !!!