Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Here today gone tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 08:55 PM
sierracharlie
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here today gone tomorrow

Do you think 72Mhz will be around for a while? I have a 9c that has only been used for one project and I am not sure I want to buy more receivers for it. I realy like the radio!
Old 11-01-2008, 09:03 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Here today gone tomorrow

Sure it'll work. There's no reason why it won't. Look how long AM held on. If it meets your needs, use it.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:06 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

yes i will have mine a while
Old 11-01-2008, 10:11 PM
dsr71
My Feedback: (171)

hey i have several 9c radios and just moved up to a 14mz fasst and i like the fasst so much i will be getting a fasst set up for one of the 9c soon, i will do 72 also for a while as converting all the planes to fasst will be costly, anyway the more that convert to the fasst system the better off for the 72 guys and the deals you can get on 72 receivers now is great so i think 72 will be around for as long as the manufacturers produce and service it just my 2 cents
Old 11-02-2008, 12:40 AM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: sierracharlie

Do you think 72Mhz will be around for a while? I have a 9c that has only been used for one project and I am not sure I want to buy more receivers for it. I realy like the radio!

No it going to exprire in the next two weeks. You need to convert to 2.4ghz . Now, before it's to late.

I kind of feel sorry for you, so I'll give you $10 to send me that old junk you have.

The 9C is a good TX. I've got two, a standard and a super. If you want to go 2.4ghz, you can. Like the others said, you can get some great deal on 71mhz receivers now. If you don't have a compelling reason to go 2.4ghz, IE really congested 72 band in your area. or if you have some plans that the 9C won't support, then the 9C should serve you well for years to come, even if you want to dip your toe into the 2.4ghz pond.

Don

Old 11-02-2008, 02:15 AM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

There's always the option to keep using the 9C with a Spektrum module, too. The prices are hard to beat right now. $109 for a module and 7-channel receiver is a great deal.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:28 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

ORIGINAL: sierracharlie

MikeL has the answer for you...

You're at an advantage right now as you don't have a lot of money invested in radio gear. There are numerous advantages and arguments about the new 2.4GHz systems and which is best, but there's no doubt the radios are headed in that direction.

There are also guys who swear by their 72MHz systems, or at them, but the move to 2.4 is on all across the country. I not only went to the 2.4 radios, but switched brands as well.

Take a bit of time, do some reading and then decide if you want to make the switch as you could go either way right now, but the 72MHz stuff is on it's way out...
Old 11-02-2008, 10:56 AM
carrellh

I think the supply of new 72 mhz receivers will dwindle away long before the FCC says we can no longer use the 72 mhz band. Two of the better stocked hobby shops in my area say they will not be ordering any more 72 mhz stuff for store stock, and they currently do not have a lot of it in stock. Both have a good stock of 2.4 systems. If this is a widespread trend, we will have to rely totally on mail order to get 72. But, if hobby shops are not ordering, how long will the distributors continue to import the items?

I guess we can HOPE that Hitec continues to make 72 mhz receivers and that someone will stock them.

I currently have nine 72 mhz receivers. My brother has about the same number. When/If we move off of 72 mhz it will cost a lot.

You are in a pretty good position to go ahead and make the switch since you do not have a huge inventory of 72 mhz equipment.

If you go with a Spektrum brand module you only have to spend $110 for the 8 channel module with 7 channel receiver. Additional 7 channel receivers cost $100. A potential negative to this setup is that the antenna goes on an adapter that replaces the 72 mhz antenna so switching back and forth is not convenient.

A Futaba brand module has the antenna on the module so you can switch back and forth easily. The 8 channel module and receiver costs $300. The 7 channel module and receiver combo costs $250. Additional 7 channel receivers cost $100.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:19 AM
jefflangton
My Feedback: (23)

One of my buddys has a 9c with the spektrum 2.4 and loves it. He got the module and 3 rec for around 200 bucks. Thinking about doing that to my 10c if it will work. Anyone know??? Ive heard the module is same for 9-10c. I already dont like the 6014 fasst rec I have now, low signal volts and runs hot.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:28 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: jefflangton

One of my buddys has a 9c with the spektrum 2.4 and loves it. He got the module and 3 rec for around 200 bucks. Thinking about doing that to my 10c if it will work. Anyone know??? Ive heard the module is same for 9-10c. I already dont like the 6014 fasst rec I have now, low signal volts and runs hot.
The specs on the SPEKTRUM conversion do NOT include the 10C as one of the compatible tx
I have done a 9Z conversion - works perfectly-the owner really likes it as he can use park flyer rx as well an do bind n fly
call Horizon 1 800 sales number and ask for latest info.
I have done othe retrofits to JR too - the retros are easy to do and the selection of rx makes it well worth considering.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:19 PM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For people getting into the hobby and buying new, there doesn't seem to be much incentive to purchase a 72mhz system, so it's only a matter of time before 2.4 takes over. Anytime soon? Probably not. When companies like Castle Creations or GWS stop supporting the 72 mhz band, that's when I'd start looking for the proverbial writing on the wall.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:23 PM
pilotpete2

ORIGINAL: dick Hanson
The specs on the SPEKTRUM conversion do NOT include the 10C as one of the compatible tx
They're just not up to date
10C accepts all modules that will work in the 9c, 8U etc.
Only question would be how well the Spektrum conversion antenna will fit, but then you can get a 2.2dbi antenna to go right on the module, works great and allows easier module changes.
Pete