Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Radio feature questions

Old 05-30-2003, 01:36 PM
fredjp3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio feature questions

Hey everone, new to the site and have some q's about radio features.

PCM OR FM, is the pcm worth the extra money, whats the dif between the 2.

Ive noticed that there are 8 and 10 channel transmitters, what do you guys use all those channels for.
I will need at least 6, my plane will have flaps, and maybe Ill have a plane with retracts someday, so I might even use the 6th channel.

This will be my first computer radio and Im trying to decide what features Im gonna need.

Any advice appreciated.
Old 05-30-2003, 01:56 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You will get a lot of different answers to this query; but IMHO, PCM is not necessary for most of us unless you just want to spend more money than the other guy does. I have been flying RC for over 30 years and find regular PWM (sometimes refered to as FM although both PWM and PCM are FM) does everything just as well and sometimes better. This includes the big gasoline powered jobs as well as the typical RC planes. Now, helicopter pilots do get some benefit from PCM so it is not totaly a luxury.
Old 05-30-2003, 02:25 PM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

And it is very difficult to use more than 6 channels or so. 99% of the planes flying everyday for sport flying use only 4 - 6 channels. On very large planes, it is more common to use multiple servos to move one surface. For example, I use two servos to move one rudder. I plug each servo into a separate channel to avoid using a "Y" connector. So technically I am using an extra channel, but I could use a "Y" cable just as easily. Using a separate channel allows me to set separate endpoints and neutral. I mix the primary rudder channel 100% to the other channel to accomplis this.

Also some large scale planes use the extra channels to open bomb-bays, retract landing gear, retract the canopy, flaps, etc. But it has to be a pretty large, complex plane to handle this.
Old 05-30-2003, 04:31 PM
tiggerinmk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You could use 'em all on your 2nd plane..

You could conceivably buy an Ultra stick or something similar as a 2nd plane. To set up all the functions this plane is capable of would require a radio with 7 channels and plenty of mixes.

Look at the manual here

On the other hand you could get away with 4 channels indefinitely if you're not worried about extra functions. A 6 channel might be a good compromise as it will allow you to experiment with flaps/flaperons & one other function like gear or bomb drop...
Old 05-30-2003, 05:29 PM
greenboot
My Feedback: (1)

A 6 channel computer radio will last you many years. If you get into a plane that needs more channels, the cost of a new radio will be insignificant compared to the plane!

If you are interested in helicopters, you might consider getting a heli radio. That's what I did and it does planes also. I have only bought one radio in 4 years of flying.

Tom