Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

newbie radio question

Old 05-31-2003, 12:14 AM
thermal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie radio question

I have read a lot on the various forums and have learned a lot, but I'm still unsure of which radio to buy. I'm alone in RC where I live and am a first timer. I have a GWS Slow Stick as a beginner plane but know that I will eventually want to fly everything from micro planes to larger electrics to helicopters. I was thinking about the Hitec Flash 5 or Flash 5 system X, ($169.00 at Hobby Lobby) these seem good for the price. The Hitec Eclipse 7 FM seems good too as it will also handle helicopters from what it says ($319.00 at Hobby Lobby). Any recommendations on which way I should go...are there other better radios in this range that would allow me to grow with the hobby.

Thanks for any and all info,

Thermal
Old 05-31-2003, 12:55 AM
David Cutler

All the radios you mentioned are very good, and excellent value for money.

All I would say is, unless you are really sure 5 channels is enough for the future, as well as now, you will probably be amazed at how quickly you grow out of 5 channels and want to buy the Eclipse 7, which would mean that money saved now would be lost in the near future.

The Eclipse also has more useful functions. You can download the manual for both from the Hitec website.

If you can afford it now, go for the Eclipse 7, it's a great radio and you get a lot for your money.

-David C.
Old 05-31-2003, 11:42 AM
Giant Scale

Where in maryland are you located? There are many r/c clubs in maryland. If you are just getting started try to find a club in your area. It is much easier to learn to fly if you have someone experienced helping you. A flight simulator is a good idea and will help you learn the basics.
Old 05-31-2003, 11:57 AM
`3D
My Feedback: (1)

Futaba 9C....great radio...will do it all.....esp Heli
Old 05-31-2003, 12:07 PM
Jim Finn
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes Where in MD are you? We may be neighbors. I know of 4 clubs not to far from me. I like my eclipse . I have a good 7 channel Airtronics I would sell too.
Old 05-31-2003, 12:47 PM
david a

Buy a radio that will serve your immediate needs today. Upgrade your radio as your skill level and hanger grows. When that time rolls around there may be a newer radio out that tops those available today. If nothing else when that time comes you can buy yesterday's (today's) top of line radio for a much lower price.
Old 05-31-2003, 05:51 PM
Giant Scale

Thermal
Sent you a pm with the name of a club. Check out
http://www.marksrc.com/
Let me know how you make out.