Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

RDS8000 TX Battery

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 10:34 AM
Fishin Geezer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RDS8000 TX Battery

My TX battery seems awfully weak. I can charge it overnight to about 12 volts. Then leave it set for a day or so and it will be discharged down to less than 10 volts. It means I must really plan ahead if I hope to use it.

Is this normal? Does anyone else experience this? If not normal, what is a good solution? Where would I buy a good replacement battery?

The TX is 6 or 8 months old.

Thanks

Frank
Old 12-03-2008, 11:16 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: RDS8000 TX Battery

I had the same issue with several of my Tx's, both Futaba and JR. I was disappointed in the NiMh batteries, as well. Charging every couple of days. I switched all my Tx's to 3cell LiPo packs from TrueRC. They have Balancing Taps compatible with my FMA CellPro 4S charger. The batteries stay charged for a long time and ReCharge in only an hour or so. I have 2500mah packs. I have also heard that Enyloop batteries and A123 batteries work well as Tx packs.

I have had Zero problems with LiPo Tx packs in over a year and I have installed them in JR XP9303, JR XP8103, Futaba 9CAP, and Futaba 8AUPS. Just be careful not to leave the Switch on and dishcarge them Too Low!!!
Old 12-04-2008, 01:13 PM
RJConnet

I have noticed this with my RDS8000 battery. The self-discharge on this battery is higher than any I have experienced in many years of using NiCd and NiMH batteries. I always charge it the night before flying and have not had any trouble so far.
I will soon be replacing it with a pack built up of Eneloop cells. My experience with these in a digital camera has pretty much sold me. I can charge these and set the camera on the shelf for six months and still take it out and get a good shooting session without charging them first. Regular NiMH batteries would be flatter than a pancake after this much time..........RJ
Old 12-04-2008, 01:21 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

NiCad will discharge at about 1 to 2 % per day, NiMh at twice that rate. For either of these two types of batteries, you can safely use them down to 9.2 volts. When they drop to 9.2 volts, you still have about 20% of the charge left.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:34 AM
Fishin Geezer

Thanks for all the advice and guidance, guys!!

I think my NiCD battery pack is defective, but based on previous satisfaction with NiCD TX batteries I guess I'll stay with them. Hangtimes appears to have a replacement 1100 mah pack for $35 plus shipping. I'll have to contact them about connector compatibility but it seems like a reasonable next step.

Again, thanks all.

Frank
Old 12-08-2008, 12:23 PM
oldvet70
My Feedback: (10)

Frank you might want to try Batteries America, http://www.batteriesamerica.com/newpage8.htm, for an 1100 mah battery. They get $26.95 with the connector. Shipping is additional. Also if you do not have a battery cycler I can cycle your battery for you. Let me know and either bring the battery by or I can pick it up sometime.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:46 PM
Fishin Geezer

Thanks, OV70, I'll take a look at Batteries America.

I don't have a cycler but I suppose I should get one. What would you recommend I get? Having chewed my hand up in a prop yesterday I won't be spending money on anything else for a couple of months. So think I can justify a decent charger/cycler.

Frank
Old 12-10-2008, 02:36 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can get 3cell LiPo Tx packs for the same price as NiMh and you never have to Cycle them. If you are going to buy a Charger anyway, The FMA Cellpro 4S is a great Balancing charger for LiPo type batteries. It has an LCD screen that tells me how much of the battery capacity has been used and what the voltage is for each cell. You can also charge at higher rates than 1C if the Lithium batteries you are using can take a faster charge.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:06 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I just got a 1600mah from RadicalRC.com with the proper connector. About $30. The battery that comes with the RDS8000 is crap; everyone's been complaining about it - it doesn't hold a charge like most other nicd or nimh batteries.