Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spektrum DX6I chargers

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 12:41 AM
JRO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektrum DX6I chargers

My Spektrum DX6I didn't come with a charger or NIMH batteries, it came with Akaline batteries. I want to put NIMH or NiCAD batteries in the transmitter. I was thinking about putting a Radio Shack Power plug on a Futaba wall charger. Using the wire for charging 4 cell receiver batteries. Do I need to reverse the wires? Like the red to the black.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:43 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Spektrum DX6I chargers

I have a fellow modeler who is very innovative and a great builder and flyer. He decided to buy Radio Shack 8 AA Battery Holder and put Futaba plugs on it. He bought 8 AA 2500mah Batteries from Sam's Club. He finally decided that the idea was not worth the risk as the batteries could move around in the battery box and they were not charging up to capacity properly. He now solders the batteries into an 8cell pack and covers them with shrink wrap
Old 12-29-2008, 10:45 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

A couple of things you might consider;

Yeah JR uses a center pin negative setup on the charge leads so however you accomplish that I guess is up to you. Personally if I still had Futaba chargers around which are center pin positive, it would be hard to remember you'd reversed the polarity on one of 'em. You may want to label that puppy if you do that.

The other thing is that there were some issues with the charge jacks on the DX-6i transmitters. I'm not real clear on exactly what it was but I think it was a size issue. That being said, I'd give Horizon a call and ask them what you need and perhaps just pick up the appropriately labeled walwart while you're at it....
Old 12-29-2008, 11:10 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
The Spektrum DXi-6 transmitter requires only 4 batteries (4,8V).

One way of charging would be to use an old wall charger from JR, Futaba, Hitec or Sanwa, with two outlets (transmitter and reciever ) and use the receiver outlet (just changing the receiver plug to a transmitter plug)
Old 12-29-2008, 11:53 AM
JRO

After changing the receiver plug to a transmitter plug would I have to reverse the wires like red to black?
Old 12-29-2008, 12:34 PM
richg99

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Compared to my DX6, I find that my DX6i uses very little battery power. It takes rechargeable AA sized batteries. Get or use a presently owned re-charger for AA batteries and just keep four extras on hand at all time. Once you buy 8 of the proper batteries, you will never have to worry again. Rich
Old 12-29-2008, 06:45 PM
JRO

Thanks for the replies. Decided to get a Radio Shack Power Plug Model 274-1568. I will solder them to a charge lead with banana plugs and use either my Triton Charger or Accu Cycle. I need to make sure that I solder the center pin negative.