Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Do I need to worry?

Old 06-03-2003, 03:08 PM
boss351
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need to worry?

Hi,

thinking I made a great deal on my first R/C project I bought a ARF Hobbico Avistar (still new in the box) and some assorted R/C equipment from an aeromodeler through the local club. He is out of town and I am unable to find out some things about the R/C equipment. There are four servos, ACE 8301's, obviously used (one has a broken horn), an FMA Direct 8 channel receiver (used), a charge/run switch, NiCd battery pack and a servo extension cable. I have hooked it all up and tested with the Futaba 4 channel transmitter that was with it (also used). It all seems to function fine. My first question is, since this stuff is old/used is it a risk (or not) to be using it in the nice new Avistar? Should I bite the bullet and spend an extra $110 grudgingly on a Futaba flight pack or $50 on 4 new servos? Speaking of which, are the Futaba S3003 or S3004 servos the right ones for this application?

Regards,

Adam
Old 06-03-2003, 04:16 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

In regards to used radio equipment. First off I never, never recommend used equipment for the newbie there are simply far to many pitfalls particularly if its history is unknown. Yes as a more experianced flyer its fine at least you will be better versed in those pitfalls. Anothers thing to avoid are used unknow flight battery packs. These things have a finite life even if never used.

The Futaba servos you mentioned are fine for the airplane.

John
Old 06-06-2003, 08:13 PM
beavertail

Yes you should!
Old 06-06-2003, 08:55 PM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Apart from the day we bought it new, all our equipment is used! The only difference is we know if it has been given a serious shaking in a crash etc.

What I would do is simply buy a new battery for the airborne pack, a decent nicad is cheap. Either get Futaba brand or ones that have Sanyo labels, they are top notch, relatively cheap and are vital to the flight. A 4 cell battery, with 500mah as a minimum, these days we often fit a bit bigger such as 800mah as a bit of extra insurance but you need a battery that matches your chargers output - 10 times the charger so if the charger says 50ma, get a 500mah battery. I would also replace the switch, again with proper Futaba brand, switches are low quality and can easily wear, suffer from vibration or badly soldered joints. For the Tx you can reasonably rely upon the meter to warn you if the battery has problems or is getting low and it is time to stop flying.

Then I would do a thorough range test with the engine off, then another thorough range test with the engine running to see if vibration finds anything dodgy like a solder joint or crystal. If it passes a range test with the engine running then it is 99.99% likely to be fine when it is flying.

But by far and away the best, most important thing you can do is to join your local club and ask for training. They ought to be real welcoming and have people there who are eager to help you and show you how to range test, how to set up the engine, check the plane is suitable to fly, and teach you to fly etc. If they don't, find a club that does make you welcome and wants to help. What you have is a real aeroplane. Just because it isn't big enough to ride in doesn't change what it is. You wouldn't just get into a Cessna at your airport and expect to fly it without lessons, well your model is just as valid an aeroplane as that bigger Cessna and you are going to learn to fly a real, albeit small, aeroplane. And they will know when things go wrong if it is you or the radio at fault!

Have fun,

Harry
Old 06-07-2003, 09:31 AM
aksmithrc
My Feedback: (2)

Harry C is giving good and reasonable information.
Old 06-07-2003, 10:40 AM
boss351
My Feedback: (6)

The instructor at the local club helped check it all over including a range chech, it got the thumbs up. I'll take the advice on the new battery and switch, thanks!

Adam